1.5 Visual Tech Analysis

+
So i grabbed CET and DLSS 2.3.7 and wow. Game looks really nice at times now. The floor in the garage really has texture and reflects light slightly diffrent now. Just like real plastic flooring. Also noticed some new materials for plastic. Looks much more realistic with the thin plastic wrapping stuff. All the lighting seem too really pop now and reflect much much more. GJ cdpr.

So i grabbed CET and DLSS 2.3.7 and wow. Game looks really nice at times now. The floor in the garage really has texture and reflects light slightly diffrent now. Just like real plastic flooring. Also noticed some new materials for plastic. Looks much more realistic with the thin plastic wrapping stuff. All the lighting seem too really pop now and reflect much much more. GJ cdpr.
Yep. We're noticing new issues with RTAO in some scenarios now. In the cases that it works; They've made massive strides and are approaching Metro Enhanced levels here - impressive stuff. Others times well, 2077 gonna 2077...

20220215165035_1.jpg

All things considered; They fixed a big gripe of mine. The cars. Previously many cars rendered the god awful ultra low res cubemap ABOVE RTR and SSR, some would do so in certain environments and for some reason this cubemap was regulated by the Distant Shadows system... :shrug:
Some cars would appear matte finish with Distant Shadows off in the ini settings, but this would break the dynamic light maps.. Turns out, according to the patch notes, those cars were supposed to be matte the entire time. And now, glossy finish cars do what they're supposed to do. For people without RT, the car rendering still doesn't cut it because the cubemap is still well below par and some other issues, it's better though. With RTR on..
RTR_Car01.jpg
RTR_Car02.jpg
Gaaaaaaawwwd dayum! I honestly thought this car should be semi-gloss, like a satin-finish metal. When it looks this good though; I won't complain.

- DLSS looks way better than before. No more "blur" or at least not as much as before. Even performance @1440p looks quite good!
- DLSS got a sharpening slider!
3080 and 11700k here. I can no longer run it with the raytracing at Psycho or DLSS quality at 1440p and keep the fps at 60, but it does look a lot better. But at least they added the DLSS sharpness slider so now even Balanced can look good.

Which DLSS mode would you recommend for 1440p? I'm struggling between keeping it at Quality or going one level lower to balanced. Also, which sharpening levels are you guys using/recommending?

VIDIA OWNERS; Rollback your drivers to v511.65. Be certain Vsync is turned off and the apply the usual optimizations.
I'm still on the last driver from 2021 (4xx.xx) and I wanted to update to the newest one now. I assume this is currently not recommended and I should wait for another update?

...and the apply the usual optimizations.
Such as they are? Do you mean driver setting + texture settings to quality and stuff like that?

Just installed. DLSS at (just over) 1080p actually looks almost identical to the raw, non DLSS output now apart from a few antialiasing issues on closely spaced straight lines. That is a real achievement given that at that resolution it looked like *£#! before. Well done.
By "DLSS at (just over) 1080p" you mean your render resolution is a bit over 1080p and thus I assume you mean DLSS Quality on a 2160p monitor, right?

Wow taken quite the performance hit tho. But the amount of npcs seems too have gone up and the lighting is very much improved. Hade my first GPU crash just now (no wonder been ocing the card more and more ;) )

What i meant with materials giving diffrent reflections. Pretty cool so far, game is probably largely the same tho but...

Which DLSS mode would you recommend for 1440p? I'm struggling between keeping it at Quality or going one level lower to balanced. Also, which sharpening levels are you guys using/recommending?

I'm still on the last driver from 2021 (4xx.xx) and I wanted to update to the newest one now. I assume this is currently not recommended and I should wait for another update?

Such as they are? Do you mean driver setting + texture settings to quality and stuff like that?

By "DLSS at (just over) 1080p" you mean your render resolution is a bit over 1080p and thus I assume you mean DLSS Quality on a 2160p monitor, right?

I'm running DLSS Balanced + 0.25 Sharpening @1440p ultrawide. I even removed my nvidia control panel sharpening because it's not needed anymore imo. Driver 511.23

Game looks much better than before, although performance is worse now.

I'm running DLSS Balanced + 0.25 Sharpening @1440p ultrawide. I even removed my nvidia control panel sharpening because it's not needed anymore imo. Driver 511.23

Game looks much better than before, although performance is worse now.
Overall performance is lower than before, but less significant dips. I can live with this. I had my FPS locked previously to avoid the enormous swings in frame rate so...
I had latest drivers and rolled back after experience very dramatic performance loss around the city center. Plays much better on the previous revision(s).
Yeah, the usual.

Yea i kinda agree with that, isent really a need high fps game anyways so i think ill try too get gfx as nice as possible instead. running v-sync and AF outa NVcontroll instead gave a slight boost but i see really low fps at some spots even on performance DLSS now. its atleast a 10-12 fps drop at spots.

Posted on another thread but for the benefit of having everything in one place, a couple of issues...

I'm on an AMD 3800X, 32GB RAM, SSD (a very fast one), Nvidia RTX 3070. Resizable bar is on and I have the latest drivers.

Settings DLSS Quality, everything at maximum including all raytracing options, 1920x1200 résolution. I'm not using and have never used any mods.

Issues I've noticed in a quick play around although on the whole the graphics look AMAZING and SO MUCH has improved with the patch (eg light popin is not distractingly close anymore, etc).

- Some very close texture popins that are genuinely distracting. I was walking around the biotechnica greenhouses area and textures on the side of metal containers and pillars holding up tanks were literally revealing themselves *as I walked past them*, like you were peeling a sticker to reveal the texture as you walked. That was weird but might be specific to that location.

- With DLSS, unlike almost everything else in the game, V's reflection looks incredibly and almost unacceptably fuzzy in mirrors. It doesn't happen with FSR, it doesn't happen with dynamic resolution and it doesn't happen on just native output, so that's very DLSS specific. The sharpness of DLSS now has improved so dramatically that it's now what I'd call usable at my resolution (which is only a little over 1080p), when it wasn't before, but not in the mirrors for some reason.

- Perhaps more serious, on exiting buildings and going outside into the city streets (not just being on the city streets without being in a building beforehand, which is fine) I'm experiencing sustained frame rate drops of over 50% that can only be solved by turning raytraced shadows off and on again or, in some cases, exiting to the main menu and then loading back in. Whereupon the frame rate returns to normal. I run capped at 40 FPS and the frame rate can drop as low as 15-17FPS and stay there whereas it normally maintains 40FPS reliably.

Got my first T-pose!!! 2 npcs in lizzys just spawned clones and T-posed whent away after a reload but it was kinda... MAH IMMERSION! :D

Looks like memory leaks are back on the menu.
I've been working all night and decided to jump in for a minute - frames were dipping into the teens.
RT lighting is more aesthetic than before, when it works, but it's got some serious problems now.

Havent noticed that yet, mainly just its alot heavier too run. The odd flickering texture and so on too ofc. Doubt they will ever get rid of that but generaly ive been pleased so far. Dam on highest difficulty i get wiped alot now (only like level 4 so). Granades use and npc cover alot more.

@BabaBooey88 What about those GI system problems you described and explained lately? Wondering if these ugly shadow things on surfaces are still present. I probably won't install the game until some story DLCS, but I'm curious if this problem has been fixed.

Havent noticed that yet, mainly just its alot heavier too run. The odd flickering texture and so on too ofc. Doubt they will ever get rid of that but generaly ive been pleased so far. Dam on highest difficulty i get wiped alot now (only like level 4 so). Granades use and npc cover alot more.
In some lighting conditions RT and SS AO are completely gone. Conditions where I was testing my RT edits just last week.

@BabaBooey88 What about those GI system problems you described and explained lately? Wondering if these ugly shadow things on surfaces are still present. I probably won't install the game until some story DLCS, but I'm curious if this problem has been fixed.
Yes, not so much as before in some cases but they are most certainly still there. Oddly enough; those light/shadow/occluder/render boxes or whatever have found their way into the strangest of places. There's one around Cheri in Clouds and may be why she isn't casting shadows now...

Is anyone else getting Sandstorms all the time? It is constantly garbage weather. I've had standstorms repeatedly now, and of course no one acts like they're walking around in a sandstorm.... I guess it's "okay", I need to open the new archive(s) anyway to wrap up my mods.

For me the textures are really low res now after the patch. The setting is on high as before and DLSS is deactivated but it looks like DLSS ultra performance mode. Even changing the texture resolution to low doesn't change anything. The textures look the same, no matter if on high or low. That's really weird and the game looks horrible now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom