A good Cyberpunk game. When?

+
But seriously....is it being set in a cyberpunk world the most important thing for you?

More precisely - since we’re here on these particular forums - it’s ”this” particular cyberpunk setting paired with RPG gameplay that actually touches upon its pnp roots and doesn’t just offer a FPS with some CYOA elements.

The shooter side isn’t going to change at least for the core game(s) of this franchise (perhaps it can if there’ll ever be a spinoff), but it can be adjusted. The gameplay discussion is a story of its own, though.

I know about the ”other” games that, at least on paper, should be in ”my alley” (and some of the are; I’ve played most of them at least partly), but they are ”other” games for other kinds of experience.

More precisely - since we’re here on these particular forums - it’s ”this” particular cyberpunk setting paired with RPG gameplay that actually touches upon its pnp roots and doesn’t just offer a FPS with some CYOA elements.

I know about the ”other” games that, at least on paper, should be in ”my alley” (and some of the are; I’ve played most of them at least partly), but they are ”other” games for other kinds of experience.
Fair enough.

The game still needs to be a realization of itself.

Some players want exactly what's here: a narratively driven, cinematic RPG with fantastic character development and heavy themes that really get into the human issues of a world like CP2077, all set against a gorgeous backdrop with plenty of action, places to discover, and things to explore.

Other players want more of an isometric, turn-based experience that allows for all the tactical nuance of old-school style games that more directly translated PnP rules to the screen. They're perfectly happy to sacrifice motion-captured scenes and voiced dialogue, as long as it provides additional options, deeper combat, and more choice-consequence scenarios.

Some players want something like GTA/FarCry that lets the player power-level their skills, then run amok, killing civilians at random while leaping from rooftop to rooftop, hurling hundreds of grenades through random windows because they enjoy the particle effects, and one-shotting NCPD aerodynes out of the sky using an arm-mounted railgun.

When are we finally going to see all of this in one game? Never. It's not possible. This is like saying: "I want the movie to be a Horror/Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Comedy/Romance/Adventure/Drama that's totally stylized but still extremely realistic, and longer than 90 minutes, but not too long, and they can use shaky-cam for a lot of scenes but not too many!"

When are we finally going to see all of this in one game? Never. It's not possible.
A nice easy to use modding program could easily breathe new life into the game:
More braindance questlines, cyber surfing and corporate hacking, creating little stories in all the currently locked places then CDPR could focus on the AI (which is in dire need of fixing still) and all the underlying mechanics like driving, more parkour moves, more crowd animatics etc.
I know we have https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/modding-support but compared to Bethesda's modding tool it's left wanting, esp for simply adding content and using the wasted spaces in Night City.
Thousands of players can create far more content than a company ever could and explains why Morrowind is still alive after nearly two decades. Just do the Rockstar thing of disabling mods if the online component ever comes to pass (or include curated player content to flesh out the city).

Other players want more of an isometric, turn-based experience that allows for all the tactical nuance of old-school style games
Not sure how true that is, there's plenty of isometric, turn based RPGs out there like Wasteland 2 & 3, Divinity: Original Sin 1 & 2, the upcoming Baldurs Gate 3, Shadowrun Returns, Gamedec (upcoming cyberpunk isometric RPG - looks interesting), plus others and none of them are really making huge waves or fantastic sales - I believe W3 adn BD3 sold a million copies vs CP77's 14 to 15 million sales (random websites so maybe a bit out of date).

I would say this is the best imagination of a cyberpunk game for me, so on that account I already have what I wanted (and I didn't even know at first)
The style, the setting all of it is exactly up my alley.

Now as far as a game is concerned, yes if the game would get loaded with GTA style activities, adding the sandbox to the narrative sort to speak, I surely would love that. When there more cool stuff to do, it always has my favour. Call it GTA, cyberpunk-style WITH cool characters, story and gameplay.

Now, I'm aware and somewhat prepared to wait until hell freezes over before that happens, but there you go. If we're speaking ideals, this game is where it starts and all it would need still, is additions.
I dare to say that this would be that one game that cant ever have enough. (Which creates entirely different issues both gamesake and my healthsake)

Anyway. Back to the subject matter.
To me, We now finally have a good Cyberpunk game, and I'm hoping and witnessing it being improved and added to in the future.

We did it was a game for sensory incapable burn victim patients some corporate punk just janked them out of the productions of CP2077

The engine was open to adding characters and dialogue with scripts in 1994/5, when we were first developing it in 1992 Singapore there was a lot of human efforts placed on keeping it multiplayer after school with real life application.

The game still needs to be a realization of itself.

Some players want ...

Other players want ...

Some players want ...

This is perfectly true. (y)

Then there are people like me, who could settle with the game as it is otherwise, but with much (really, MUCH! ) more nuanced and versatile character systems and interactions with the world, items, objects NPCs and activities (combat and non combat).

I think the games premise is fine. It's visually almost spot on (although, there's a bit too much bright daytime and not quite enough world-ambience), it sounds great, the story is passable (but not really anything to write home too much about) and all that jazz. But the gameplay and character systems, their opportunities and exploration... bwahring and virtually non-existent beyond will I do and resist few % of more damage.

I agree with all the people that commented before me that player made Braindance content would save this game.

It is no dig on the dev team, but building this out to where people want it is a decade long undertaking. No company has that kind of commitment.

However they can build a framework for fans to next level this thing.

CDPR please focus on building out robust modding tools and tie them in with the Braindance system.

Let all the player made content be some kind of illegal software we interface with. It can make us subject to netrunners and good/bad police attacks.

While all the professional devs build and refine the systems they are all built on. Cop AI, gang AI, netrunners, crowd AI, ect...

Plus, not to give you too many ideas. I think you could make more money selling art assets to Braindance content creators than you could DLC that could.... or could not hit the mark.

How long will it take to have a GOOD Cyberpunk themed open world branching paths RPG game?

I'm talking real Cyberpunk, 80s Anime style kind of setting, combustion engine cars, zero science fiction stuff but 100% true Cyberpunk (think Akira, Ghost In The Shell, Bubblegum Crisis). Cyberpunk 2020 / RED is really just all of that I described in it's origins, a great scenario and RPG ruleset and deserved better, a shame now the IP is CDPR restricted.

I want something with the open world IA and polish of GTA V, gameplay of modern Deus Ex games but harder and better, interaction, side activities and immersion of Yakuza / Shenmue, quality of writing, main characters and side quests from Witcher 3, and a good RPG ruleset with hardcore RPG mechanics and custom character development and skill specialization all with a Cyberpunk theme, attitude and overall disregard for censorship and political correctness but at the same time embracing differences and sexual freedom as commonplace.

Drugs, alcohol, sex and nudity overload, ultra violence, existentialism crisis, mechanical implants, artificial intelligence, 80s future technology mixed with current and old technology... all this together is what makes Cyberpunk, Cyberpunk. Game directors should keep it mind, and maybe watch 80s Cyberpunk anime to absorb the whole true vibe regularly while making such a game.

I believe this game can and should be done. There are already examples of similar games in other settings already... but now that CDPR dropped the ball I doubt anyone else will try making such a dream game.

So, that's the discussion: how long (more) you guys think it'll take for us the get such a game delivered by any developer?
Ok, I feel you, but the problem with such specific expectations is they are doomed to be broken. If not for all the several reasons other posted about, then for the fact that companies/devs have their own ideas, tastes and backgrounds. I mean: they are not you. If you want a game like that, you should start a company and do it yourself. I'm serious.

I'm playing a good cyberpunk game right now, its name is at the top of the forum :) If I want more of a classic RPG experience I'll dive back into shadowrun. I'd love to see the two styles combined, but for now I'm happy cranking up the radio and cruising around NC.

I'm playing a good cyberpunk game right now, its name is at the top of the forum :) If I want more of a classic RPG experience I'll dive back into shadowrun. I'd love to see the two styles combined, but for now I'm happy cranking up the radio and cruising around NC.
I mean I've always thought Deus Ex Human Revolution is the best cyberpunk game to this day, but I don't remember being able to have 1st person sex there :ohstopit:

i think bethesda could pull off a pretty good cyberpunk game IMO
They might get the the exploration and visual design* somewhere decent, but the player would have to forget about any meaningful choice&consequence and cause&effect, and even half-passable narrative**.

* This already exists
** These aren’t too good now either, but the potential was there.

All in all CP2077 almost is a ”Bethesda game” where the focus is swapped from exploration to narrative design.
There are a few fundamental similiarities like rancid character systems, big world to run around doing nothing but kill stuff and collect junk, and general lack of meaningful (!) interactivity.

All in all, I think Obsidian, Larian or Inxile would’ve made a better game (the latter two an ISO/TB game, not a firstperson shooter; Obsidian has some experience in FPP).

Top Bottom