Androids and robots?

+

Do you want robots/androids in Cyberpunk?

• Yes please!

• Yes, but NPC only.

• Yes, but companions only.

• Don't know yet.

• Nah. Not really.

Results are only viewable after voting.
So, does Cyberpunk have any sort of robots and androids? It is 2077, so I'm imagining that their would be some androids roaming night city. I never saw any androids in 48 minute demo. Did CD projekt forget to add them in, or do they not want androids in Cyberpunk? It would be nice to communicate with then, or possibly have one as a companion. Maybe upgrading an android companion would be a thing? They could hold our gear when our inventory is full, but that's just an idea. I know people have been talking about enemy drones, mechs and such, but not androids.

If androids are a thing, they should look appropriate for Cyberpunk. Maybe something like in the picture?

.jpg
0345f001762166fe0dc526d8bb06c721.jpg

Default 2020, the game it's based on? No.

Netwatch polices super-aggressively all use of AI.

2077? Not that we've seen.

In this world, those pictures you posted could be people.

I don't see why when body modification is already so extreme.

votes 'Nah' cose we are already in a world where peoples modify themself with implant and cyber . if they make Ai , then they will have to be superior to anything on the market . Which in turn make having cyber kinda lame .

At least to me . I love AI and android and such...but I can live without them . In a world with cyber and enhanced humans? thats chaotic enough .

I've discussed this elsewhere.

In CP2020, and presumably CP2077, there just plain aren't any AIs small enough to fit in an android/robot. What few may be around run on large mainframe systems.

If androids aren't part of the CP2020 rules, then no problem at all... since there will be justification in the lore to not use them.

(I voted "yes" but after reading the comments, I'm rather agree with "no", or whatever since it's justified).

I can imagine ones that are not particularly bright (maybe up to a dog's level of intelligence?), but not one on full human-level intelligence. Or any intelligence higher, like your typical housecat.

That doesn't mean they can't end up a companion or even a valued member of the team. Just ask the U.S. military about how its encouraging soldiers to bond with combat drones has backfired in unexpected ways (I'm still laughing over the group that took one on a fishing trip with them while on leave!).

I think AI will be part of the 'net. I think the term would be 'intelligent assistants', with focus on gathering information automatically for net-runners that "own" these softwares. And this could be used as weapons of choice, with various groups using these IA's combating each other online. Another way of thinking would be semi-intelligent viruses that could fly under the radar and perform specific tasks, with a variety of responses to different scenarios.

As for androids, not that much. Unless androids are just the bodies the IA's are using to perform tasks in the physical world. But I think androids aren't that far off in the world of Cyberpunk 2077.

I just can't think of any reasons that an android would be useful, especially in a future where human augmentation is so common. There's not really any benefit to having humanoid robots.

Hey, I disagree here:
I just can't think of any reasons that an android would be useful, especially in a future where human augmentation is so common. There's not really any benefit to having humanoid robots.
Maybe robots can be thought of and used as tools, assistants, deliveries, scouts, or whatever...
Something like that spider robot from 48min demo - It's faceless, not human like, but maybe somewhat automated and dangerous, with some AI ?
Just put face on it :)

The other thing to keep in mind is unemployment is massive. People are quite literally overjoyed to have a job that feeds them Kibble and allows them to rent a one room flat with 6-10 other people. Robots primarily do jobs people don't want. In CP2020 (and presumably 2077) there's no such thing.

And this is something to keep in mind with some (but by no means most) of the gangs. They're not mugging people for drug money, they're doing it to eat. Makes for an interesting moral choice for the player :cry:

The other thing to keep in mind is unemployment is massive. People are quite literally overjoyed to have a job that feeds them Kibble and allows them to rent a one room flat with 6-10 other people. Robots primarily do jobs people don't want. In CP2020 (and presumably 2077) there's no such thing.

And this is something to keep in mind with some (but by no means most) of the gangs. They're not mugging people for drug money, they're doing it to eat. Makes for an interesting moral choice for the player :cry:

The sheer availability of human labor is why so many mechanical inventions were delayed in usage by hundreds or even thousands of years, often having to be rediscovered, in real life; if the Roman Empire hadn't tossed away so many good inventions simply because people were more plentiful and thus cheaper, the world would be much more advanced than it is.

So, even if the capacity to produce AIs and ridiculously human robots exists in CP2077, I have to agree there's no market for them and we'll never see them. It's simply cheaper to hire people.

Maybe robots can be thought of and used as tools, assistants, deliveries, scouts, or whatever...
Good point. Robots like the spider from the gameplay make sense as they fill a specific niche. I'm more thinking of androids (which, to my understanding, look or are at least shaped like humans).

Good point. Robots like the spider from the gameplay make sense as they fill a specific niche. I'm more thinking of androids (which, to my understanding, look or are at least shaped like humans).

Another thing I was thinking about, the use of android replikas of, say V, that'll mimic V enough to be used as bait. It doesn't even have to be sentient, maybe run by V through WIFI.

Think outside the Xbox...

Top Bottom