Anybody else use Night City Sourcebook for every game ever?

+
Anybody else use Night City Sourcebook for every game ever?

So, Night City Sourcebook has to be without any doubt, the best sourcebook for any game ever.

It's hugely detailed, but contains little in the way of actual game mechanics (just rough stats on gangers)

As a result, I use some variation of Night City in just about every game I play.

We did a Bubblegum Crisis game based out of NC straight up.
I used NC as a stand-in for a free city in Rifts
NC has simulated contemporary cities in Beyond the Supernatural, Heroes Unlimited, Mutants & Masterminds, d20 Modern, I think we even had a WoD game that used Night City as the tamplate for its main setting.

Until it fell through I was even planning a Cthulhutech game for NC.

So who else things the NC Soucrebook is awesome and what settings have you used it in?

Hell, I think it's so awesome I expanded it with a huginormous map, and have begun detailing all the additional locations...

And while it may not be the best sourcebook ever, it is damn sure the best city guide for an RPG ever made, by far.

I noticed your project and I was so glad to find you;d expanded on the Combat Zone...there seems top be precious little information abotu the CZ anywhere.
how much was from the books and how much was you, out of curiosity?

I love the Night City book.
Home of the Brave was good, but I never totally got the world until I read Night City. I wish it was still in print.

I made a nice sturdy-laminated copy of the map since I didn't want to wear the included one out, folding and refolding it. We use wet erase markers (overhead projector markers) to draw maps and what-not on the board. The lamination makes it easy to wipe off.

Thought it was pretty cool until I saw the pic of Wisdom's massive map he keeps.

What I like about Night City is all the little stuff like bus schedules, and what-not. The neighborhood and surrounding area info is awesome. I never really got the whole 'poser' thing until I read it and it makes sense to me. Posers became a real big deal after that.

I...wait...there's a pull out map? What? I...I don't even...
FUCK YOU Used-Book-Bin-At-Now-Defunct-Game-Store!!
From hell's heart, I stab at thee!

Rassa-frassin...

I thought that the core book was a bit lacking in terms of setting, until I get my hands on the Night City Sourcebook. Awesome book with tons of info and great ideas.

Since my spanish edition is a bit run down (or better said well used) I'll be more than happy to see it back on print again.

PD: sorry to hear that you don't have the map Galahad, it was way cool!

Awesome, much obliged.

And whoever mentioned the poser gangs and the like...so much YES. The gangs were one of the best part.
It helps that The Warriors was one of my favorite movies of all time.

Anyone who plays Cyberpunk and does anything with Gangs needs to watch The Warriors.

The Lizzies and the Baseball Furies stalk the streets of my Night City.

Along with some more modern cartoon-based posergangs.

The Archers tend to hire themselves out to other gangs and whatever down on their luck corps that can't hire real special ops agents. They have an alliance with Team Venture, who were mainly formed of rejects from the Brainiacs. Team Venture designs the 'super science spy gear' for the Archers and occasionally loans them them a Brock or Vatred. They're usually skirmishing with the Monarch and his crew.

The Bronies formed as a Protection Gang to defend normal members of the fandom from being bullied and attacked, but eventually the more radical members began going on the offensive. They've got an unsteady alliance with the Bozos and share the same turf. If you see someone fearlessly walking the NC streets in a pink hoodie with pony ears on it, you'd be wise to cross the street and keep your mouth shut.

You get the idea.

My brother was going to do much the same but instead decided to have the 'Pastel Holocaust' a massive pushback my traditional gangs and internecine fighting amongst the cartoon posergangs. As a result, most of the cartoon gangs were wiped out, with only a couple of them surviving. The Street Sharks went underground (literally. Along with the four surviving Turtles), and I can't remember the other gang that survived...but now and then you'll still run into a lone Brony or other toonganger and if they;re still sporting colors you can bet your ass they're hardcore, crazy or both.

For the background of my character in his current game I was allowed to create the boostergang he was allied with. I went with a mainly Hispanic gang of boosters heavily into M&B Lace, Skinweave and Grafted Muscle. They call themselves the Hombres Extra-Grande (I stole the name from my shirt tag). Their leader's name is Tres Extra-Grande. Dude's massive, like Bod16 without chrome, just bioware.

I just want to take a moment to thank Wisdom. DF2020 has been a life saver for me, as much or more then the NC saucebook. The Night City source book is probably my favorite book though. That being said I pulled a dick move once and put Night City in a game of Shadow Run, only one player got it and thought it was funny, the rest wondered why we weren't in Seattle.

On the Pastel Holocaust, the other surviving gang that kept good turf were the Basara Legends, a Sengoku Basara themed gang that held their own due to holding respect for their 'mundane' opponents and the rapid influx of mono-katanas to the streets around 2013. Basara Nikkei was not nor shall ever be one of them. The cartoon posergang thing came from a world setting I was writing in where the cyber-revolution came about as a result of a direct clash between the street game and furious nerds who were spurred into action by the assassination of a popular nerdcore artist after the genre started to outpace gansta rap in sales. I didn't want to use the whole world though since the CP universe is awesome as is.

Yes both me and the players use it all th time, it is a exceptionally good source book.

I even decorated the GM-screen with the map:

Attachments

• pic1737457_md.jpg
    pic1737457_md.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 58
Well, I hate to be a naysayer (okay, that's a lie)...

Never used it. Never bought it, never had an opportunity to. Played on and off for decades with nothing but the core book and imagination.

That's not to say I don't accept your love for it, hell, if I could buy it today I would, just to see what all the fuss is about. It would have been a very different Night City to the one I ended up with, through inspiration and input from players and other GMs... It'll actually be quite novel for me to see the Night City in the game when it happens, as there's clearly a fantastic mass of story I never saw. All I know is, if there are modding tools for the game, I'm going to be under a lot of pressure from old mates to remake Night City in my/our image for our own amusement and satisfaction.

Still, I'm not one of those people who begrudges others their shiny supplements. If I'd had 'em, I'd have used 'em, probably to the benefit of all concerned...

Top Bottom