Anyone playing Batman Arkham Origins?

+
KnightofPhoenix said:
Asylum had the weakest story by far imo, it was pretty silly at the end. City had a decent story but its endgame is definitely rushed.

Protocol 10 was a disappointment.

Red0oG said:
Im waiting for Angry Joe :)/>/>

Me too,i guess he will give the game a 7.

And yeah,arkham asylum is a great game but the story is weak,city had a nice story but it all hanged on 1 (well two) plot twists in the end while arkham origins plot was really good all the time.

KnightofPhoenix said:
That's what I heard and read as well.

Asylum had the weakest story by far imo, it was pretty silly at the end. City had a decent story but its endgame is definitely rushed.

Well, i like AA more than AC.. mostly for it atmosphere, Scarecrow scenes, the first-person scenes in the one room with Joker/TVs, the bug/glitch scene, etc.. but even the story is in my own opinion better in AA than in AC (except for the ending - oh boy,..)

To me, AA is like a BioShock game, AC is more like a Assassins Creed game, and i like my BioShock games more than AC games :)

We must be confusing plot and story here. By plot I understand the general description of a game's events and their context, reasons and justification. For example: Batman is tricked into entering Arkham Asylum where the Joker set up a trap and released a group of inmates each of whom wants to test Batman's physical and mental resilience. Or Bruce Wayne is thrown into an enclosed district of Gotham after the approval of an extreme measure against criminality by new mayor Quincy Sharp. Inside, Batman finds the inmates are loose wreaking havok and plotting, and Hugo Strange has transformed the district into a police state where he can conduct behavioral experimentation.

By story I understand the execution, the series of events that takes place in a determined timeframe, each event strung together by a narrative that establishes causal relationships between them. This is why cRPG's let us tell different stories depending on our choices.

Plotwise, AC is more promising and subtle, with more politics and larger repercussions. AA is simpler in principle, and has a personal and somewhat limited impact. But storywise, AA is executed very, very well. Events follow a believable and logical flow, and we feel we're doing what we have to. The ending is stupid, I'll give you that.

In AC Batman stops being a detective to be an errand boy at times. Events are all over the place and we're forced to travel to remote buildings for the sake of it. Dialogue lines are cartoonish. In reality, not much happens even if the game stretches its hours by adding chores. There are a lot of cool but irrelevant scenes, like the entire exchange with Penguin and most of Freeze. Raj Al Ghul adds a vehicle for Batman's character to establish, and the visit to the underground was awesome. Ultimately all we need is Joker for the -plot twist!- disease subplot and Hugo Strange for being the master mind. But it's all poorly connected and poorly justified.

AA is a personal emotional trip from which Batman emerges a different man by facing himself. AC is a day in Batman's shoes, like any other.

The story so far is incredible. This game is definitely well written, and the voice acting is superb. Any fan of the Arkham series is going to love this game.

The only problem is the fucking bugs and glitches. I ran into another one myself yesterday, a game stopping bug. Basically Batman's position switched after reloading a save, to an area in which there is no escape so I can't progress the story.

Thing is, I'm enjoying this game so much though, that I'm thinking of just starting over again. It's really that good. I just wish it didn't have the bugs and glitches.

I just finished this "Broken" game in 13 hours. I guess I am magic?

In all seriousness, I did see Batman glitch out a few times while gliding, and there was a spot during one of the "riddler relay" unlock things where I couldn't get into a vent after grappling to it. I just reloaded, played on and came back later and it was fine. I believe I may have also seen a defeated enemy model glitch out by still looking like he was standing there. Other than that, I had an AWESOME experience.

Others are right about the story when they say that it is amazing. I have played through both the first games multiple times and was impressed with those. This one was much better and has better character development for Batman and the Joker. There were a couple Joker monologue moments when he is talking about Batman that were amazing.

PrinceofNothing said:
Is anyone playing this game? I love it, it's better than Arkham city imo. Gives a good depiction of a younger, reckless and more brutal Batman. Voice acting is also impeccable all around, and the combat has been refined with some new animations.. The graphical quality (especially PhysX) and performance on PC with maxed settings is also really awesome. None of the DX11 performance issues that plagued Arkham City upon release.

Only thing so far though, is that there are some nasty bugs and glitches. Hopefully they will get ironed out soon though.

Beat it in 30 hours. Loved it. Encountered only game breaking bug with the vent that was just fixed and very occasionally when flying. All in all, favorite Arkham game. Wish it were the first one for continuity purposes though. And yeah, the improved physx, lens glare and that smoke, oh my oh my.

I've been playing challenge mode religiously. So much, that it inspired me to reinstall City. Just so I can play with Nightwing. Oooooooh how I love Nightwing there.

Also, community service announcement! Finally the putrid analwaste of a platform that is GFWL has been shut down (YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH!!!!!) and everyone who has bought the game prior a certain date can activate the game on Steam and automatically get the GOTY version. Which is just awesomesauce. Doesn't really make up for all the years it's tormented me and wiping my fucking saves, but eh. It's something I suppose. So there you go. Enjoy owning the challenge maps with Nightwing :D

Edit: I love Nightwing. Deathstroke is awesome. So Origins is half complete if you ask me. Hopefully WBM will feature Nightwing in the challenge mode soon enough. Man, I so wish that'll happen. One can only hope.

I've been now playing the game about 10 hours (since the most recent patch fixed the game breaking bugs I had) and I really like it. The combat is tougher with some additions compared to previous games. The story is quite good thus far and playing with a younger, inexperienced Batman is a nice contrast to the "calm and professional" Bats in the previous games.

So basically, if you liked the previous games, this game will most likely not disappoint you.

PrinceofNothing said:
The story so far is incredible. This game is definitely well written, and the voice acting is superb. Any fan of the Arkham series is going to love this game.

One question, did anyone else have an occasional flash of: Shut up Ezio?

There where maybe 4-5 moments where he sounded just that little bit too much like Ezio Auditore.

sanamia said:
One question, did anyone else have an occasional flash of: Shut up Ezio?

There where maybe 4-5 moments where he sounded just that little bit too much like Ezio Auditore.
Nope. He sounds nothing like Ezio to me.

Oh man I'm completely ignoring the story and going around Gotham city beating up punks. The fighting seems much more satisfying, feels somewhat weighty, and the sounds are punchier. And this is pretty much in the beginning of the game so I don't have many gadgets.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmHxhB7_Bhk[/media]

Has anyone problems with the cutscenes? They lag/stutter like crazy ... everything else is running fine, from 60 fps to 30 fps in some places, but the cutscenes are going like 5 fps or less..what the hell?

sidspyker said:
Oh man I'm completely ignoring the story and going around Gotham city beating up punks. The fighting seems much more satisfying, feels somewhat weighty, and the sounds are punchier. And this is pretty much in the beginning of the game so I don't have many gadgets.
You know, I personally like to play the game with my Logitech F710 and on my TV but it's clear that precision and control you gain from mouse & kb makes a difference in the combat.

eskiMoe said:
You know, I personally like to play the game with my Logitech F710 and on my TV but it's clear that precision and control you gain from mouse & kb makes a difference in the combat.
I'm not exactly a very good player, mostly because I'm really enjoying the sounds too much, gadgets don't have that...''oomph" but I never play with controller, I just don't find it optimal to crowd control without having responsive camera control.

Had to stop playing the game again. Another game breaking bug. The game is ridiculously buggy. Can't remember the last time I've ecountered such a glitchy game :S

AA had the best Atmosphere & Story/Plot.

AC had the best Gameplay, A small but well executed Open World, flawless Voice Acting & A fantastically diverse character line-up.

Origins does all those things, but just "OK". Nothing is really spectacular in the game, but nothing is really bad. I find myself constantly deviating from the Main Story because it just isn't very engaging, Enemies are more aggressive then AC which is fine but sadly it also causes Combat to feel a little clunky, Voice Acting overall is great but not as good as AC (Troy Baker is commendable but he just doesn't have that Raw Power behind The Joker that Mark Hamil does)... Few other bits & pieces, but that's just my main thoughts.

Also, just because it deserves an extra line, The Mad Hatter segment in Origins was fucking 10/10, I seriously wish they'd done more.

If I was recommending the series to someone I'd definitely say to play them "In Order": Origins > Asylum > City ... Not only would it make the most sense, but the game is decent enough to be a part of the 'Trilogy' & IMO the Rocksteady titles are better so you'll play from Worst > Best.

Volsung said:
But storywise, AA is executed very, very well. Events follow a believable and logical flow, and we feel we're doing what we have to. The ending is stupid, I'll give you that.

Meh, I felt no characterization for any of the villains, including the Joker who was just playing another prank. I didn't feel Batman grew or anything, although yes the scarecrow moments were good characterization. Asylum was about the atmosphere and Batman lore with the recordings, which were cool. But story wise, it's very predictable and imo bare bones.

Whereas in City, the Joker - Batman dynamic is thoroughly explored and imo is its best interpretation in media that I've experienced (the credit song still gives me the creeps at how perfect it is). Even other villains like Freeze I felt had more character and a stronger position in the plot than AA villains that were just there for gameplay purposes. And the catwoman segments provided a breath of fresh air and I very much like her dynamic with Batman and her own mini-story. Heck even the Alfred - Batman dynamic was better explored.

So as far as I am concerned, AC had the better plot and the better story. But AA had the better atmosphere.

Daverid said:
If I was recommending the series to someone I'd definitely say to play them "In Order": Origins > Asylum > City ... Not only would it make the most sense, but the game is decent enough to be a part of the 'Trilogy' & IMO the Rocksteady titles are better so you'll play from Worst > Best.

Well,playing asylum after origins is kinda strange(because the gameplay is so different)
But story wise it could be interesting.

Top Bottom