Anyone think SONY will make a comeback?

+
Anyone think SONY will make a comeback?

Companies have made huge comebacks before.I really like SONYs products so i would hate to see it go.Anyone think the "One Sony Plan" will work.U know basically focusing all there resources on gaming and electronics and leave the rest behind.I have heard sony is starting to begin its comeback with a ipad competitor,new phone,a few exclusive games,etc. I hope PS4 wil help out sony.Not just sony but i heard Microsoft is strarting to lose money to with 21.76 billion down in operating income and around 16 billion in net income.I really hope 2013 wont be a ugly year.

I prefer sony products... but for them to get back in shape for the next gen, they have to get their newest console out in reasonable relation to X-BOX. The delay of the PS3 release caused them to suffer immensely, even though it was a superior machine in every single meaningful way. By the time PS3 got released, X-box had such a large catalogue of games, that PS3 was never able to catch up... it gave X-Box a huge advantage and microsoft to garner all sorts of exclusive deals.

Their comeback is a non-starter so far. Maybe the results will be better when they report for the year, but their last report (ending September 2012) reads like nothing but disaster after disaster.

The three "One Sony" units:
Cameras, sales down 17%, income down 84%.
Games, sales down 17%, income down 24%.
Mobile, sales up 112%, because they consolidated Sony Mobile. Loss up 279% for the same reason.

And the television unit they so stressed that they were going to turn around, sales down 25%, loss up 1185%.

Even if Xperia Z is a huge hit and even if they get the next-generation Playstation out on time, it may only be in time to go down with the ship. They're a derelict looking for an iceberg to run into.

Honestly, I and other pc gamers can only benefit from a strong new shiny Playstation that sells well. Something to tell m$ to step up their game. Progress in the console space means less shitty ports over to pc.

Aditya

Forum veteran
Xbox 360 was only technically a better console, better game performance and which more gamers preferred, in case of multiplatform games. Sony has a great deal of exclusive games which are very dam good ones, which makes Sony special. I remember the time when Sony (not only in this gaming area but in general terms) was a king, times haven't been kind to it now if you look today

Their comeback is a non-starter so far. Maybe the results will be better when they report for the year, but their last report (ending September 2012) reads like nothing but disaster after disaster.

The three "One Sony" units:
Cameras, sales down 17%, income down 84%.
Games, sales down 17%, income down 24%.
Mobile, sales up 112%, because they consolidated Sony Mobile. Loss up 279% for the same reason.

And the television unit they so stressed that they were going to turn around, sales down 25%, loss up 1185%.

Even if Xperia Z is a huge hit and even if they get the next-generation Playstation out on time, it may only be in time to go down with the ship. They're a derelict looking for an iceberg to run into.

You never know right?Plus pretty sure it was the natural disasters that hurt SONY the most.And what do u mean they will go down with the ship?Do mean theres no chance SONY will recover?

You never know right?Plus pretty sure it was the natural disasters that hurt SONY the most.And what do u mean they will go down with the ship?Do mean theres no chance SONY will recover?

Sony had been brutally mismanaged for years before the tsunami. No, I don't think they are at risk of no longer being a going concern. But they took an enormous loss for the restructuring that shows no sign of paying off. They can't do that forever before they have to start under-funding or shedding lines of business.

Unless MS launch the new XBOX next week, the two consoles will release fairly close to eachother. They're unveiling the PS4 on Feb 20th, so expect a late 2013/early 2014 release. And if they go in on even footing, I'd give the edge to Sony, especially when they don't have their Cell processor hindering them every step of the way.
Another big factor could be China, if they really end their ban on consoles. (though they're a PC gaming country, like Korea, and consoles might not do well anyway)

F34R3D

Forum regular
I wonder how valve entering into the console wars will affect things. Think they will make a splash in the market?

I wonder how valve entering into the console wars will affect things. Think they will make a splash in the market?
Valve is to my knowledge not entering the console wars.

The steam box is a hardware guideline, with different manufacturers and judging from the initial designs it is more a very compact pc from which you can play your steam games from. So you could plug that thing in your tv and play in your living room.

Valve is to my knowledge not entering the console wars.

The steam box is a hardware guideline, with different manufacturers and judging from the initial designs it is more a very compact pc from which you can play your steam games from. So you could plug that thing in your tv and play in your living room.

That sounds awfully familiar to what people said regardin to the first Xbox.

Since Both M$ and Sony plan to have their next console not to accept used or lent games, I would say "Screw them !".
Stick to a machine you really own and master.

That sounds awfully familiar to what people said regardin to the first Xbox.
Oh so the first Xbox was built by half a dozen different companies with different designs and was a completely open platform that anyone could develop for?
Man you are really going for the record today.

They will need to wait and see what Nintendo and Microsoft is doing first before they can copy and paste and try and get back on top. :p

Oh so the first Xbox was built by half a dozen different companies with different designs and was a completely open platform that anyone could develop for?
Man you are really going for the record today.

I don't know what your problem is with me, but you should put it behind or explain it straight out.

As for what I said; When Xbox was first announced, several people I knew would say the pros and cons about it in regards to "It's just like a PC" and "It IS just like a PC except as a console so-" and the thing is here that I noted on is that you're saying exactly the same thing. Of course the Steambox is that, but is it a console, or is it a PC? One thing we can conclude is that it's not per say a PC, but more a hybrid of it.

But the more important question to ask is this;
Will it really be worth getting it, and who will be getting it?

WiiU is already out, and M$ is all about KINECTKINECTKINECT BETTER WITH KINECT

Yea, I know WiiU is out already... I love NINTENDO but don't feel like I'm excited enough about the WiiU to buy it yet. I'm thinking I will pass and wait for PS4 or Xbox. I def think PS4 will be wayyy better then WiiU. SONY has already started taking pages from NINTENDO's book before they even got to release WiiU. They came out with Vita (err something like that) which is like a DS and they plan on using it like the new WiiU controller. It will serve as both a handheld and an extra new controller for PS4. That's how I'm looking at it. Can't be certain but I bet that's how it plays out.

I wonder if MS will try some new controller/handheld device when the new gen arrives.

Top Bottom