Balance Council: Feb 2024

+
Here's my votes for this BC. What's your votes?

Screenshot_8.png

There has been considerable [misguided] focus by certain streamers to reduce RNG by buffing all thinning cards. I believe this is destroying the game by destroying important elements of balance (such as paying a price to artificially improve consistency instead of building decks which are naturally consistent by virtue of not excessively relying on a small number of OP but inconsistent cards and combos — which are sheltered from nerfs by unjustified votes to buff leaders). This not only reduces the variety of playable decks, it eliminates the strategy of adapting to cards drawn as opposed to forcing the draw of everything.

Thus, I am focusing my votes on both buffs and nerfs to counter heavy deck polarization. I don’t know whether my counter measures will help much even if enacted, and I am trying to avoid buffing toxic archetypes (like mill) to a point where they defeat decks other than the hyper thinning junk being forced into the game. I am also trying to avoid wasting all votes on damage control by only voting to undo the last council’s changes. Please let me know if I have missed cards that might better address these issues than those I’ve found.

Buffs:
Kambi — an interesting but never played card (too costly and too low tempo). Kambi increases in value when the opponent is likely to hold high value cards in hand — which is more likely after thinning.

The Scoundrel — although the Scoundrel is probably strong enough as is, I don’t think one buff will break the card. Scoundrel will not only threaten over thinning a deck which thins excessively, it can also brick thinning combinations.

Gorthur Gvaed — Once a mainstay of toxic NG decks, I believe nerfs around this card prevent it from becoming detrimental in the same way — even if buffed. I don’t like breaking the symmetry between faction location cards, but one of the best ways to counter thinning is to restore thinned junk back to the hand.

Musicians of Blaviken — This is an interesting card that simply does not offer adequate return for deck building sacrifices it requires. Musicians may not directly counter highly thinned decks, but it could at least offer interesting alternatives to extreme polarization.

Nerfs:
Coral — This is a card with too much tempo and engine value for its cost. Since it is a significant tool in ST thinning, a nerf effectively slows the thinning effort.

Birna Bran — Exactly the same reasoning applies as to Coral.

Raffard’s Vengeance — Also excessive engine value and thinning for too little cost. Also supports the Seige scenario which I believe was incorrectly buffed.

Battle Stations — Too much tempo and too much thinning in a faction that needs neither.

Here's my votes for this BC. What's your votes?

View attachment 11383459
Good tottaly agree, not sure about wild hunt Riders, i think all those cards that bring the double from deck should 4 provisions.
Post automatically merged:

There has been considerable [misguided] focus by certain streamers to reduce RNG by buffing all thinning cards. I believe this is destroying the game by destroying important elements of balance (such as paying a price to artificially improve consistency instead of building decks which are naturally consistent by virtue of not excessively relying on a small number of OP but inconsistent cards and combos — which are sheltered from nerfs by unjustified votes to buff leaders). This not only reduces the variety of playable decks, it eliminates the strategy of adapting to cards drawn as opposed to forcing the draw of everything.

Thus, I am focusing my votes on both buffs and nerfs to counter heavy deck polarization. I don’t know whether my counter measures will help much even if enacted, and I am trying to avoid buffing toxic archetypes (like mill) to a point where they defeat decks other than the hyper thinning junk being forced into the game. I am also trying to avoid wasting all votes on damage control by only voting to undo the last council’s changes. Please let me know if I have missed cards that might better address these issues than those I’ve found.

Buffs:
Kambi — an interesting but never played card (too costly and too low tempo). Kambi increases in value when the opponent is likely to hold high value cards in hand — which is more likely after thinning.

The Scoundrel — although the Scoundrel is probably strong enough as is, I don’t think one buff will break the card. Scoundrel will not only threaten over thinning a deck which thins excessively, it can also brick thinning combinations.

Gorthur Gvaed — Once a mainstay of toxic NG decks, I believe nerfs around this card prevent it from becoming detrimental in the same way — even if buffed. I don’t like breaking the symmetry between faction location cards, but one of the best ways to counter thinning is to restore thinned junk back to the hand.

Musicians of Blaviken — This is an interesting card that simply does not offer adequate return for deck building sacrifices it requires. Musicians may not directly counter highly thinned decks, but it could at least offer interesting alternatives to extreme polarization.

Nerfs:
Coral — This is a card with too much tempo and engine value for its cost. Since it is a significant tool in ST thinning, a nerf effectively slows the thinning effort.

Raffard’s Vengeance — Also excessive engine value and thinning for too little cost. Also supports the Seige scenario which I believe was incorrectly buffed.

Battle Stations — Too much tempo and too much thinning in a faction that needs neither.
Why soo complicated ?
Easy all balance council should be focused on nerfing NG again and again till it become useless
And buff all other factions
What actually killed the game, player profile like this, play only NG, abuse mill deck, yenvo Vilgefortz etc
I beated this guy and he just disconnected no gg nothing, and problem is that gwent have hundered of NG spamer like this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240225-215525_Gwent.jpg
    Screenshot_20240225-215525_Gwent.jpg
    620.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Buffs:

Nerfs:

In general, I don't think countering the 4p thinning bronzes with buffs and nerfs to high-provision cards is a great idea in itself. To me, it's no better than spending an entire round of BC on reversing all of the bronze thinning cards back to 5p (and in fact, we would have to spend like what, 2-3 rounds on that?). I pretty much think it's a lost cause at this point.

That said, I do [somewhat] agree with all of you nerf suggestions here, while disagreeing with all of the buffs. The thing about cards like Kambi is that there is no reason to include it in the deck and take the risk of it bricking, while the dumbass cards like the Compass exist, which allow to just pick a card best suited to the situation. Buffing Kambi you will effectively be buffing the Compass. The futility of this is similar to the futility of provision nerfing high end NR cards: it doesn't matter what provision it is, if you can just make it with the Temple.

Some of the design choices by the devs have effectively backed us into a corner in terms of balancing.

Brippe

Forum regular
Where can I find the council release results and why is it difficult to post updated cards? I used to think that this game lacks of attention, but now it seems like the game is almost abandoned...

You click on the bell in game interface, then on the results. Warning: this season results are the worst yet.

Top Bottom