BaW's Non-Existent Potty Language

+
BaW's Non-Existent Potty Language

I've just wrapping up my second play-through of BaW, and, after reading almost every note left by a criminal in the game and every line of dialogue, I noticed that I don't think I've heard a single curse word in my 40+ hours.

"fuck" becomes "feck", "shit" becomes "chit", and other words are awkwardly avoided, altogether. Even the murderous criminals of the land use strange phrases such as "diddly-doo".

Does anyone know why this is? Was it meant to further convey a lighter tone, and contrast itself against the base game's crude world, or did the developers at the new C.D.P.R. studio decide to leave them out for personal reasons?

I don't see this as an issue. It just sticks out rather awkwardly, at times.

I could have sworn that Syanna described her sexual intercourse with Detlaff as: "I fucked him a few times until he was infatuated".
Might be remembering it wrongly.

And IIRC one of the whores in the brothel used these terms.

Then, there's the "bloede cuisse", which is of course translated by a very polite person, so you do not get treated with the female 4 letter c-word. :p

Don't the bandits say the usual (impolite) bandit-lines when you're fighting them? Do they do the friendly one-finger gestures?

I'll make a point in counting the times of gutter speak in BaW when I am back there. Won't be for a while though (only just starting with Novigrad act 1).

Yeah, Toussaint, where the sun is always shining... There are even the criminals nice people who sit and write their journals in the evening... ;) Now I can nearly understand, why the Nilgaardians always talk about the Barbarians of the North... :evil: Even so... "TEMERIA!!!" ;)

Last edited:
I could have sworn that Syanna described her sexual intercourse with Detlaff as: "I fucked him a few times until he was infatuated".
Might be remembering it wrongly.

If you refer to this dialogue, there is no "fuck" word in it:

Syanna: We talked. Then met up - once, twice, three times… enough that he became infatuated.
Syanna: I truly enjoyed it at first. But only at first. He did not love like a man, but like an animal. Madly, deeply, unconditionally. Wildly.
Syanna: To return such a feeling - anyone would be hard pressed… Let alone someone as twisted as I am.

I've just wrapping up my second play-through of BaW, and, after reading almost every note left by a criminal in the game and every line of dialogue, I noticed that I don't think I've heard a single curse word in my 40+ hours.

"fuck" becomes "feck", "shit" becomes "chit", and other words are awkwardly avoided, altogether.

Both words appear several times in the voice sets of various bandits and thugs, as do others like "whoreson" or "plough". Although they are indeed much more common in the base game.

I think it's meant to be a shift in tone exclusively for Toussant, to play up what a parody their society is. If you listen there are vulgar connotations, just not the same gutter language you get in Novigrad or Velen. That said, all TW3 is sanitized a bit in this regard. TW2 had quite a bit more raw language.

I think it's meant to be a shift in tone exclusively for Toussant, to play up what a parody their society is. If you listen there are vulgar connotations, just not the same gutter language you get in Novigrad or Velen. That said, all TW3 is sanitized a bit in this regard. TW2 had quite a bit more raw language.

Yeah...I do remember TW2 as being a bit more crude.

maybe they just wanted to avoid that kind o words, for in toussaint the people usss a different dialect? it's the outh the life is easier than in the nothern kingdoms with the war and all those problems, the people is happier in toussaint than in other areas

Last edited:
These words are simply chosen to convey how Toussaint is different from the rest of the world. No personal reasons behind it. ;)
Also, I can only repeat that Blood and Wine was not made by some new CDPR studio, it was made by both the Warsaw and the Cracow studio, like Wild Hunt and Hearts of Stone before it. Same quest designers, same writers.
:cheers4:

Hrm, I must admit that I forgot to pay close attention to the potty language level, but I am standing now in front of the Pheasantry and there's the "duyvelshice", "fuck", "bugger", "tosser" and "wanker" kind of language that we all love about the witcher games... ;)

It may be that they are the only ones who use this sort of language though.

Gestures of bandits at the boundary of their POI-leash seemed like normal, anyway. For those who also enjoy it when the NPCs use of one fingered and similarly colourful gestures in this game. :p ;)

But... @Benzenzimmern : I think that a certain giant granite (sandstone?) hand in the quarry sabotages any attempts to keep BaW's tone more along the "dingaling! dingaling!"- instead of "fuck you!"-lines of family-friendliness. That hand always cracks me up. ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom