Book vs Games (Spoilers)

+

Book vs Games (Spoilers)

• Spend the evening playing the Witcher games.

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • Spend the evening reading the Witcher saga.

Votes: 23 56.1%

• Total voters
Book vs Games (Spoilers)

Let’s discuss the games vs the books.
Characterization, story lines, relevance, quality, etc.

I have many thoughts on the matter but for now I’ll start with a few things.

First, both are great additions to their respective genre.

Second, it is clear that without the source material, the games as they are now would have never existed.

Third, the devs have elevated a work of fiction to such unprecedented heights that many authors of fantasy fiction could only ever dream of. There are many fantasy sagas out there, some better and some worse. None of them have ever been adapted in such a wonderful and remarkable way.

In short, Andrzej Sapkowski is a good writer, among many other good ones.
In no particular order, there are plenty of others. Just mentioning the ones I’ve read.
Patrick Rothfuss, Abercrombie, Anthony Ryan, Jim Butcher, Robbin Robb, JJ martin, Brandon Sarenson, Kevin Hearne, Stephen King, Brent Weeks, Peter V. Brett, Django Wexler, Robert Jordan, Terry Goodkind, Mark Lawrence, Brian McClellan and few others I cant remember right now.

While the devs are giants, among a very select few RPG companies.
Bioware, Beshesda, Obsidian, Square Enix. Perhaps Larian, Inxile and Harebrained too if they keep it up.

And without the games that were, for many, our gateway into this world, none of us would be here.

That last part triggered a memory in my head; I had heard those words before somewhere. Here is the recalled scene, modified for relevancy to this topic.

Before us stands the might of the Book horde.
Read them fully now, but worship them not.
This company beside me is a native of Poland, risen to the ranks of AAA devs.
They are proof that glory is within reach of us all.
They have triumphed despite the odds and without them, none of us would be here.
Today, we play W3. Today, we play as our hero, Geralt of Rivia.
But most of all, today we show the devs that we remember and honor their dedication.
For the Witcher! For CDPR!!!

Last edited:
Before us stands the might of the gamers horde.
Play them fully now, but worship them not.
This author beside me is a native of Poland, risen to the ranks of big writers.
He is proof that glory is within reach of us all.
He has triumphed despite the odds and without him, none of us would be here.
Today, we read The Last Wish. Today, we live the life of our hero, Geralt of Rivia.
But most of all, today we show the author that we remember and honor his dedication.
For the Witcher! For Sapkowski!!!

Am i doing it right?

I would be making love to someone (or play S.T.A.L.K.E.R.)
This poll does not represent meh :(

:fuss:

Anyways...

Sapkowski is one of the giants of one of the oldest genres of one of the greatest and most influential art forms in humanity's history. 10 000 years of classics of all cultures on Earth. You can not beat that. No other art form yet can claim that much influence.
Video Games are an art form. High Art. They are worthy of just as much respect and scrutiny as all other forms of art. And CDPR are the elites of their trade. But they are also in the younger medium. The one that is still advancing. And will advance. But Video Games as a whole are still 100 years too young to want to have such a direct comparison overall. Is Witcher 3 worthy of such a comparison? Perhaps. An equal overall? On their own rules... maybe. But better? Nope :)

Last edited:
Before us stands the might of the gamers horde.
Play them fully now, but worship them not.
This author beside me is a native of Poland, risen to the ranks of big writers.
He is proof that glory is within reach of us all.
He has triumphed despite the odds and without him, none of us would be here.
Today, we read The Last Wish. Today, we live the life of our hero, Geralt of Rivia.
But most of all, today we show the author that we remember and honor his dedication.
For the Witcher! For Sapkowski!!!

Am i doing it right?

Perfect! I had an opposite version prepared too but yours sounds better...

I would be making love to someone or play S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
This poll does not represent meh :(

Sorry, just tried to find a correct way for people to express to vote other than the usual "which one is better." Just pretend the only things in your house previous to the apocalypse the witcher saga and a computer with the witcher installed.

Do we really need to compare and decide what is better :a book or a game ? Seriously ?

Two completely different forms of 'art'. None is 'better' than the other.

Nope, we don't need to. But then this is the internet. Agreeing on everything equals boring threads.

Well, my opinion should be known to frequent forum users... ;)

http://servia-d.deviantart.com/

---------- Updated at 11:50 PM ----------

Do we really need to compare and decide what is better :a book or a game ? Seriously ?:eredinfacepalm:
There is nothing wrong with that. We're just having a good time with our nerdy discussions. You don't have to participate if you don't want to. But don't ruin the thing for others, please. :-*

---------- Updated at 11:51 PM ----------

I would be making love
You fully understood the books. :p

Sorry, just tried to find a correct way for people to express to vote other than the usual "which one is better." Just pretend the only things in your house previous to the apocalypse the witcher saga and a computer with the witcher installed.

Then I would whine (and make my country proud) as to why I cant have my loved one (or STALKER) with me. So again... neither.... :(

Dont limit me :( I have my OWN version of the events and it is just as valid as yours... :p

You fully understood the books. :p

You were doubting me :) ?

Last edited:
The books for me.When it comes to the characters,I think that CDPR are at their best,when they're writing their own characters like Roche and Bloody Baron,instead of pre-established characters from the books.Their original characters are usually consistently well-written,while their book characters can vary from great to godawful.I think Dandelion and Ciri in particular came out pretty badly in the games.And of course let's not forget the horrible mistreatment of the Lodge.It drives me crazy that the only sorceresses in the games(besides Yen and Triss)who have a decent role and characterisation are Philippa and Keira.But even some of those book characters who came out great in the games,have at least one huge OOC moment(or momets),which ruines them completely.Looking at you Dijkstra.

The books for me.When it comes to the characters,I think that CDPR are at their best,when they're writing their own characters like Roche and Bloody Baron,instead of pre-established characters from the books.
THIS. I think a video game based on a new IP 100% created by CDPR themselves could be one of the best games ever. :)

I think Dandelion and Ciri in particular came out pretty badly in the games.
And Eredin, Avallac'h, Emhyr, Mousesack, Roach...

But I liked their Lambert. :p

Whatever episodes you chose to read in just one night Stygga castle scene must be among them imo. I read that scene at least 20 times already but I can't ever get enough of it.. :)

Surely :)
It's hard to choose even top-10 scenes. Most of them are dialogue-driven, some have beautifully described scenery and action (Brenna, Ciri on the ice of Tarn Mira, etc.), some of them - mix of both, like this culmination in Stygga castle :)

Whatever episodes you chose to read in just one night Stygga castle scene must be among them imo. I read that scene at least 20 times already but I can't ever get enough of it.. :)

Omg yes! It's so good. It's blasphemy not to quote the whole chapter but just a small part of it, I can't help it though.

‘Let’s go,’ he repeated.

‘Yes,’ said Yennefer. ‘I want to see the sky.’

‘I will never leave you again,’ Ciri said dully. ‘Never again.’

‘Let’s go,’ said Geralt. ‘Ciri, help Yen.’

‘I don’t need help!’

‘Let me help you, mother.’

Before them was a staircase. Bathed in smoke and at the bottom flaming torches and braziers with fire.

Ciri shivered. She knew those stairs. They had appeared in her dreams and visions.

Below armed men were waiting.

‘I’m tired,’ she said.

‘Me too,’ said Geralt as he drew Sihil.

‘I’m tired of killing.’

‘Me too.’

‘Is there no other way?’

‘No, there is no other way. Only those stairs. We have no choice, girl. Yen wants to see the sky.

And I want to see the sky, Yen and you.’

Ciri looked at Yennefer, who if not for the railing she was leaning against, would have fallen down.

She pulled out the medallions she took from Bonhart. The cat she hung around her neck, the wolf she gave to Geralt.

‘I hope you know,’ the witcher said, ‘it’s just a symbol.’

‘Everything is just symbols.’

She drew Swallow from its sheath.

‘Come on, Geralt.’

‘Let’s go. Stay close to me.’

At the foot of the stairs Skellen’s mercenaries were waiting for them, clutching weapons in sweaty palms.

The Owl with a quick gesture sent the first wave of attackers. The stair thundered with the sound of heavy boots.

‘Slowly, Ciri, don’t rush. Stay close to me.’

‘I know, Geralt.’

‘And calmly, girl, quietly. Remember, no anger, no hatred. We have to get out of here to see the sky.

And those who stand in our way, they die. Do not hesitate.’

‘I will not hesitate. I want to see the sky.’

They reached the first landing without obstacles.

The mercenaries fell back before them, amazed and surprised by their icy calm.

But after a moment, three men leapt forward, waving their swords. They died instantly.

‘Attack all at once,’ the Owl shouted from below. ‘Kill them!’

Three more attacked. Geralt stepped forward, feinted at one, and cut another’s throat.

He spun and Ciri dashed under his right arm.

The girl slashed a second mercenary under his arm. The third tried to escape by jumping over the railing.

He did not make it.

Geralt wiped a few drops of blood from his face.

‘Calmly, Ciri.’

‘I am calm.’

Three more approached. A flash of swords, screaming, death.

Thick blood trickled down the smooth stone stairs.

A mercenary with a jacket with brass rivets rushed them with a spear. His eyes shone with narcotics use.

Ciri, with a quick step, deflected the spear and Geralt slashed at the man.

He wiped his face. They continued to walk, without looking back.

The second landing was close.

‘Kill them!’ Skellen shouted. ‘Kiillllll!’

Heave footsteps on the stairs. The bright flashing of a blade, a shout, death.

‘Excellent, Ciri. But calmly. Less excitement. And stay close to me.’

‘I will never leave you.’

‘Do not strike from the shoulder; you can do it from the elbow. Be careful.’

‘I am careful.’

The brightness of a sword, a cry, blood, death.

‘Excellent, Ciri.’

‘I want to see the sky.’

‘I love you.’

‘I love you too.’

‘Watch out. It’s getting slippery.’

[video=youtube;_6FBfAQ-NDE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6FBfAQ-NDE[/video]

Last edited:
As for the story lines the books are definitely better for me.TW1 story is very...well...fanficy.As a standalone story it's pretty solid,but as a sequel to the books it makes no sense.TW2 story is much better,but the treatment of some characters pisses me off to this day.And then we have TW3,which i think has some brilliant side stories(like Bloody Baron's),but the main story completely fells apart in the third act.And the main antogonist is just laughable.Even though i wasn't a big fan of Vilgefortz,at least he had an actual characterisation and presence,unlike Eredin.

The books are obviously the best story teller and i would prefer reading the books as well. There are some parts in books that i've read probably 5-6 times over and over :) But as @xxgwxx pointed out

Do we really need to compare and decide what is better :a book or a game ? Seriously ?

Two completely different forms of 'art'. None is 'better' than the other.

These are two different arts, both masterpieces in their own art, if you ask me :)

i also agree with @Zyvik, CDPR have made their own characters much better then some characters, wich were implemented from books.

I agree with @xxgwxx. I'm not going to go so far as to call this thread "flame-bait," since I think the OP is just trying to have a civil discussion, but I can see it going down that route, and I don't think it makes much sense to compare two completely different artistic media that are operating under completely different constraints, and have their own strengths and weaknesses.

It depends what mood I'm in. If I have the desire to read a novel, I might pick up Sapkowski. If I am tired and just want to chill in front of my tv, I'll play the Witcher.

Why do we constantly have to put ourselves into camps on this forum? Yennefer vs. Triss, novels vs. games, PC vs. console.

Totally agree with @sevean on this one. I mean hey, we all like the witcher ( possibly ) so let us focus on that lol

on the other hand...

Triss
Games
Pc
;)

Top Bottom