(Bug) Geralt Aard & Fireball Trap

+
(Bug) Geralt Aard & Fireball Trap

Hello

I will start by posting the descriptions of the cards involved, just so these are clear:

Geralt Aard
Move all non-Gold units on the opposite row one row back. Remove
1 strength from all moved units.

Fireball Trap
Ambush: When a revealed non-Gold unit appears on the opposite side, remove
5 strength from it.

So I recently had a game where my opponent played a Fireball Trap which was untriggered until he played Geralt: Aard. As predicted Geralt: Aard pushed back my front row and dealt 1 damage, what was less predicted was that the Fireball Trap then triggered and hit every card that had just been moved for 5 damage.

I can see why this could have happened as the movement effect of Geralt likely works by essentially lifting them from the row and then replaying them, thus triggering the trap. However if this effect is intended, it is not made very clear in the card descriptions and is non-intuitive.

Geralt: Aard states it moves the non-Gold units back 1 row, at no point is it implied these cards reappear on that new row, as is the trigger for the Fireball Trap, they are just moved from one row to the next. The moved units have already appeared on the opposite side, they are just beeing moved. This is not like effects that replay a card which clearly would trigger the fireball trap, at least it is not made clear this is a similar effect.

Then there is also the fact that the Fireball Trap hit multiple units, despite the card itself clearly stating just unit.

Sadly I cannot provide a screenshot of this interaction as i was quite suprised by it and I know no one else who plays Gwent who I could setup the situation with. The situation is also quite rare I would imagine since it requires an unactivated Fireball Trap to be left alone for at least 1 turn after beeing played.

The interaction you've described is already known. What's unknown is whether or not it was intended or just a logical byproduct. If it was not intended, the fix is going to be tricky. I suppose it would have to hit a random unit then, but that also seems... 'unstable'.

4RM3D;n7470000 said:
The interaction you've described is already known. What's unknown is whether or not it was intended or just a logical byproduct. If it was not intended, the fix is going to be tricky. I suppose it would have to hit a random unit then, but that also seems... 'unstable'.

Or make a clear distinction between a unit beeing moved a row and it actually beeing played/appearing. This to me at the very least seem like a natural thing to do as I can imagine that if moving a row counts as a unit appearing we could run into other kinds of trouble down the line.

Like, what happens if a row of Wild Hunt Riders are moved while Nithral is on the field since he also states "appears." Does he activate 3 more times?

TriforceDragon;n7470090 said:
Like, what happens if a row of Wild Hunt Riders are moved while Nithral is on the field since he also states "appears." Does he activate 3 more times?

By that same logic I would indeed suspect the ability triggers 3 more times. And it does feel unnatural. You're right. It might be better to have 'moving to a different row' not count as appearing.

Top Bottom