CD Projekt has said it can’t guarantee that Cyberpunk 2077’s new-gen console versions will make it out this year as planned, though it’s still targeti

+
I would say no one forces them to release unfinished games. Rdr2 was perfect at launch on consoles. Same for death stranding and the last God of war. I repeat: on consoles. Releasing broken games as a deliberate choice they make.
I could said, it depend of the games you play... On Xbox (I don't know on Playstation), But I have a bunch of "buggy-messy" games on Xbox at release and also few years after :D
For now, the "polished" games seem to be "exception" and not the "norm" :(

Last edited:
I could said, it depend of the games you play... On Xbox (I don't know on Playstation), But I have a bunch of "buggy-messy" games on Xbox at release and also few years after :D
Herd instinct imo. When everyone screaming about how perfect something is, people tend to ignore sharp angles. On the other hand, when the only info you get is negative - people start seeing those sharp angles everywhere. And the CP 2077 is an epitome of this effect.

I would say no one forces them to release unfinished games. Rdr2 was perfect at launch on consoles. Same for death stranding and the last God of war. I repeat: on consoles. Releasing broken games as a deliberate choice they make.
I didn't play RDR2 and i don't own console, but just google RDR2 day 1 patch playstation... and I think some more patches were released afterwards.
To avoid drifting more off-topic : even if you can find games in some platforms bug free on release( that is when physical copy is printed for me, day 0 patch is "i released with bugs,but i was lucky to fix them on time"), I'm with @LeKill3rFou that this has been more the exception than the rule for 20 years.

I didn't play RDR2 and i don't own console, but just google RDR2 day 1 patch playstation... and I think some more patches were released afterwards.
To avoid drifting more off-topic : even if you can find games in some platforms bug free on release( that is when physical copy is printed for me, day 0 patch is "i released with bugs,but i was lucky to fix them on time"), I'm with @LeKill3rFou that this has been more the exception than the rule for 20 years.
Yes, the exception that demonstrates how fucked up everything is. They should just release polished game instead of giving us buggy versions they will eventually fix in the future.
Saying "oh, that's the norm" only entitles companies to perpetuate this unrespectful behaviour. Together with the usual lies or exaggerations we are told during marketing campaigns.

I actually hope they start demanding more polished games instead. I've had enough of being tricked by greedy software houses that sell early access games at full price. You want the full price? You sell a finished game. It's crazy how games were fine when patches didn't exist and now we have to be careful because the risk of buying a broken game is very high.
As anyone would say. But know however, were that to be the case, a whole lot less games would've been available for the consoles. It's called, giving devs a break. Especially after a mayor setback like Covid.

As anyone would say. But know however, were that to be the case, a whole lot less games would've been available for the consoles. It's called, giving devs a break. Especially after a mayor setback like Covid.
Less games? I doubt that, people like money. It's called "finish your goddamn game and only then you can sell it". It's not Devs who take the decision to release unfinished games, it's management's.

Yes, the exception that demonstrates how fucked up everything is. They should just release polished game instead of giving us buggy versions they will eventually fix in the future.
Saying "oh, that's the norm" only entitles companies to perpetuate this unrespectful behaviour. Together with the usual lies or exaggerations we are told during marketing campaigns.
Completelly agree that we must always strive to do better. And fight against wrongs becoming normalized. Otherwise just try to project into the future. Saying "releasing a complete game is the exception" so this situation is normal is giving the ok for it to be much worse in the future.
Of course this can be met with some common sense. Now IT IS possible to release patches to improve a game post launch. So some minor tweaks being done post launch, ok. Not "Ok so we fuck up the launch because we can". And spend 9 months+ fixing the game. That's backward thinking for me. 1.3 and the game is finally a lot less infuriating in a lot of areas, specially on some platforms. To bad my memory of the game and the impact on my perception of it is much more connected to that first run. I'm sure CDPRs devs didn't wish for that as it's obvious their passion for their games and their antecipation on the player's view of them. They even explained it's a lot harder to patch an already released game so I don't pat the back on this behaviour that normalizes company business malpractices that hurt workers and consumers in detriment of sucessful business - money.
I find it a bit strange also, I might add, the complacency torward these corporation based decisions from a CYBERPUNK game fan community.

Just out of curiosity, people don´t use any Windows or Android OS? Last stable version of Microsoft product that I can remember was Windows 98 Service Pack 2 I think (I'm trying to forget Windows 95).
Its not a simple as "management is evil and/or incompetent"-sometimes, might be the case-, its a problem of systems engineering as any project grows in complexity verification is harder.
Fun fact: do you know that CPUs/GPUs (any brand) cannot be fully verified before manufacturing? you can do a statistical coverage and you set a threshold of risk (remember that Pentium that made mistakes multiplying?, this they didn´t catch even with their prototype testing...).
You can also look at Boing, or Spectre vulnerabilities, or car recalls, or mobile phone companies with exploding batteries... reality is much more complex than "insert CEO/CTO/CFO/Director name is a evil greedy ...or devs are incompetent".

The solution to bad communication shouldn't be to stop communicating. It should be to improve the communication. On a positive note, articulating set goals, the intended date to deliver those goals and emphasizing there are no assurances is a good way to communicate.
Goals frequently change, since gamedev is pretty chaotic. What looked viable 2-3 years ago is out of reach today. You can't fix it with good communication. You already presented your vision and that's what people are waiting for/desiring.

There's no harm in not saying anything until it's finalized and nearing the end of development. Companies do that. Rockstar, for example. Hideo. Capcom. And many other. Ready when it's ready. Or, as alternative, you can go with early access like Larian, and communicate, communicate, communicate. But in this case you need a working chunk of a game, thus in the same fashion, you have a finalized vision that requires fine tuning based on feedback.

I always try before I buy.
The dev clearly told you no, so it's obviously (and predictably) a no. Do you need the CEO himself to tell you that the next gen consoles patch is for next gen consoles? I mean, guys...
How do you know it was a dev and not some other random chatter?

This is what I got.. :)
1630699908410.png

Last edited:
I don't think this policy is very good for devs. Postponing would be good for devs
Post automatically merged:

Just out of curiosity, people don´t use any Windows or Android OS? Last stable version of Microsoft product that I can remember was Windows 98 Service Pack 2 I think (I'm trying to forget Windows 95).
Its not a simple as "management is evil and/or incompetent"-sometimes, might be the case-, its a problem of systems engineering as any project grows in complexity verification is harder.
Fun fact: do you know that CPUs/GPUs (any brand) cannot be fully verified before manufacturing? you can do a statistical coverage and you set a threshold of risk (remember that Pentium that made mistakes multiplying?, this they didn´t catch even with their prototype testing...).
You can also look at Boing, or Spectre vulnerabilities, or car recalls, or mobile phone companies with exploding batteries... reality is much more complex than "insert CEO/CTO/CFO/Director name is a evil greedy ...or devs are incompetent".
That's not where I'm coming from. I mean that simplistic view of CEOs evil. I don't try to put the blame on specific people but rather criticize what the system allow people to get away with. I don't think we should normalize this so whoever sits on those thrones can get away with these things and even be defended for it. So we should change the system and it can start with public perception. But if everything is defended as normal, it will be taken advantage of.
How can we prepare or fight the dystopia that cyberpunk art prepare us for? The metaphor is that we already live in this dystopia but of course reality is always more complex and hard to see than a fiction product which is wrapped in one package with a message (or several).
In cyberpunk's casr I'm sorry but they took this to an extreme. Yes some bugs would only be recognizable after millions of people tested it on different platforms, different ways of interacting with the game... but Gorilla arms still say they open doors; soon after launch they recognized the AI was bugged and they were aware of it; the optimization for consoles started being done after launch and this is evident. The game came out very incomplete, well over these unknown factors that would arise only with having millions of people playing the game. Did you see the twitch stream with the 2 devs? How frustrated they were with having to do this much with a game already released, which makes it harder?
CDPR is not one thing, one unit. It just doesn't make sense to suport everything they do the same way it doesn't make sense to criticize everything they do. But we know they are a corporation and art creators at the same time. The way they, aswell as any game developer company, balance these realities is complex. But just to blindly defend everything about it comes to no result in my view. Also it doesn't amount to any relevant feedback moving forward

Unless I've missed something the "next gen update" is for new consoles. In other words, there is a PC version of the game and a console version. The new consoles use the same console version via backwards compatibility. The next gen console update intends to offer an updated version for those new consoles to leverage their new functionality.

As an owner of the PC game version I expect to get exactly zero out of the next gen console update.

The solution to bad communication shouldn't be to stop communicating. It should be to improve the communication. On a positive note, articulating set goals, the intended date to deliver those goals and emphasizing there are no assurances is a good way to communicate.
I have a question on this one. Didn't they alter lod, specially in lighting after one of the early patches? Removed some visuals, like the fog in Watson, NID close to the boats? So didn't they shift streaming priorities so it would run on older hardware?
Can't the next gen version change again these limitations because the hardware can handle it? And wouldn't high end PCs run these new directives aswell?

Last edited:
Still, they are still working on the game now, which means after 9 months is still not finished. Why release it in first place if not to get money ASAP and pay dividends and debts? It's not like the game had done random and small problems, it was a freaking mess (and still is to a good extent). Now, should we expect another broken version with the next gen patch just because their job is not easy or should they release it only when "ready"?

I always try before I buy.

How do you know it was a dev and not some other random chatter?

This is what I got.. :) View attachment 11251318
As I said, I misunderstood your message. That being said, it sounds pretty obvious that next gen consoles patch is for next gen consoles. Never heard about next gen PCs. :Shrug:

Still, they are still working on the game now, which means after 9 months is still not finished. Why release it in first place if not to get money ASAP and pay dividends and debts? It's not like the game had done random and small problems, it was a freaking mess (and still is to a good extent). Now, should we expect another broken version with the next gen patch just because their job is not easy or should they release it only when "ready"?
If I may hunor you with a shot in front of an open goalpost.
"Should" I think we all know what sentence should follow this word.
I hope they will this time, not that it matter to me much since I don't own a PS5 or XS1 but its a no brainer to see what would be the best choice.
But as is said already, the likeihood of that being 2022 at earliest, late 2022 in 'worst case' can also be expected.
What I find a rather more interesting question: would it matter much?
Goals frequently change, since gamedev is pretty chaotic. What looked viable 2-3 years ago is out of reach today. You can't fix it with good communication. You already presented your vision and that's what people are waiting for/desiring.

There's no harm in not saying anything until it's finalized and nearing the end of development. Companies do that. Rockstar, for example. Hideo. Capcom. And many other. Ready when it's ready. Or, as alternative, you can go with early access like Larian, and communicate, communicate, communicate. But in this case you need a working chunk of a game, thus in the same fashion, you have a finalized vision that requires fine tuning based on feedback.
That sure does seem to be the semantics that covers the windows everytime it comes up "When do we get what was 'promised' ".
When you segment it as you describe, you could say CDPR fell in between. What came out felt like an early acess but they wanted the when its ready route... didn;t gel well, and now its picking up the pieces.
Which they are. I've said it many times I feel like, and I'll say it again... patience now is a virtue more than it ever was (figuratively speaking) Clearly the pace to fix it isn't going as quick as many people want, but there's progress still. We'll just have to wait, and wait some more with this one, and the next-gen is no different. I'd say it would be strange if that wás on time, because then it would make you wonder... whats with that disparity?

But as is said already, the likeihood of that being 2022 at earliest, late 2022 in 'worst case' can also be expected.
What I find a rather more interesting question: would it matter much?
I agree that no matter what CDPR say I expect the patch not before 2022 because, well, we all know why.
But yes, it would matter a lot. The game on PS5 is just "ugly" to date. Is it the main problem with the game? Oh, absolutely no, not even close. But if you play it on pc at least you can think "well night city is non-interactive but beautiful". You don't even have that on PlayStation platforms.

Why not? Failing to reach intended goals within the set timeframe is a non-issue by itself. So long as it's clearly communicated those goals will not be met when it's recognized.

Bad communication is when the information provided is deliberately vague, unclear or has a fixation on the juvenile surprise factor in areas where there should be no surprises. Such communication is used to incite interest and, dare I say, hype and hysteria. Likewise, advertising functionality or setting a timetable, realizing either one isn't in the cards and failing to clarify those changes in direction is bad communication.
I have a question on this one. Didn't they alter lod, specially in lighting after one of the early patches? Removed some visuals, like the fog in Watson, NID close to the boats? So didn't they shift streaming priorities so it would run on older hardware?
Can't the next gen version change again these limitations because the hardware can handle it? And wouldn't high end PCs run these new directives aswell?
I don't know, did they? Just because someone says something on the internet doesn't make it true. When people start championing downgrade my immediate thought is "prove it". If that cannot be done it gets moved into the speculation category. Furthermore, it's silly to presume why things get downgraded if they do in fact get downgraded. Such changes could occur for any number of reasons.

In terms of hardware handling it. The PC version of this game is already in the upper echelon in terms of the burden it places on hardware. I can confidently say when cranking settings up this game hammers my system pretty good. Not one component either. The entire shebang. If I've already maximized my own settings as far as they can go for the existing hardware and remain comfortable what the hell is an upgrade going to provide?

Why not? Failing to reach intended goals within the set timeframe is a non-issue by itself. So long as it's clearly communicated those goals will not be met when it's recognized.

Bad communication is when the information provided is deliberately vague, unclear or has a fixation on the juvenile surprise factor in areas where there should be no surprises. Such communication is used to incite interest and, dare I say, hype and hysteria. Likewise, advertising functionality or setting a timetable, realizing either one isn't in the cards and failing to clarify those changes in direction is bad communication.

I don't know, did they? Just because someone says something on the internet doesn't make it true. When people start championing downgrade my immediate thought is "prove it". If that cannot be done it gets moved into the speculation category. Furthermore, it's silly to presume why things get downgraded if they do in fact get downgraded. Such changes could occur for any number of reasons.

In terms of hardware handling it. The PC version of this game is already in the upper echelon in terms of the burden it places on hardware. I can confidently say when cranking settings up this game hammers my system pretty good. Not one component either. The entire shebang. If I've already maximized my own settings as far as they can go for the existing hardware and remain comfortable what the hell is an upgrade going to provide?
Well it happened on my system (ps4 pro) specially with the lighting. I have no problem accepting they made these changes for all systems since the patching is still going on. With so much work to do it seems readonable they would apply these changes everywhere instead of doing it platform by platform. Yes I read and saw videos on the internet showing on PC what i see on my game so it doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

I was just in process of trying to make a thread based on the H1 semiannual earnings rapport that CDPR released. Guess I don't need to anymore! If you're interested their investor part of their website has the actual data. And although these are obviously not aimed at gamers specifically it is a medium through which CDPR also communicates what it is currently working on, how it is going and what they predict for the future.

I listened to a part of the H1 earnings call. So here's my "summary". I'll mostly paraphrase as the transcript is not available yet and the audio quality isn't the best. I tried :giveup:

• CDPR is still committed to supporting the game for "as long as necessary" to make it a "long term success"
To me this was already obvious but this of course overall good news. They reiterate this point multiple times throughout the earnings call. "As long as it takes". They're quite serious about this. Anyone who still believes they're "abandoning" the game is doing some serious mental gymnastics.

• They mention they really want to make CP2077 the game that gamers thought it was going to be.
This is something I wouldn't take too seriously, but it again reinforces their commitment. i do not think they're seriously considering catering to the hype-train, but I stand ready to be surprised.

• Target date for next-gen version: late 2021

They're just not sure. Which isn't a surprise. They're just covering their behinds again.

View attachment 11250646

• CDPR is shifting manpower away from updating CP2077 towards other projects.
    • 160 people are working on the "CP Expansion 01"
    • Nothing about the release date or price -- as they said "we're keeping to our rule" aka their mouth is zipped
From the size of the bar you can probably guess there's ~200 people still on the base game + next gen.

The Q&A at the end also mentioned and clarified a few things which I've merged into the points above. All in all my conclusion is that they're moving steadily and consistently toward a better game.

I sincerely doubt this, but surely they're being honest THIS TIME... it's hard to believe they have more than 15 people actively working on the Cyberpunk 2077 base game. Cars still careen through freeway barriers and the police are more hostile to you walking on the opposite side of the road than they are toward an active gang shoot out... 9 months post release.

Love CP2077 but feel bummed out over the delayed lunch of the current-gen patch. There are so many exciting games on the horizon for XSX and PS5. I suspect that CP2077 will feel "old" when it arrives. My hope is that a substantial expansion will remedy this, giving a reason to dive into it again.

Top Bottom