CD Projekt RED, Steam, SteamOS, and exclusives

+
ryannberg said:
That is one of the biggest reasons why I love Steam, all the added value features that come with it. No on else has competed against that. I am not the kind of gamer that says "No Steam, no Buy" ,but I will always prefer to buy from Steam than anywhere else. Witcher 3 will be the exception, because I want the physical collectors edition.

Anyways as to the topic at hand. It would not be in the best interest of CDP to make Witcher 3 exclusive to GoG for digital distribution. As is Witcher 2 had 80% of its digital sales go through Steam, 16% through GoG. GoG doesn't have the market penetration that Steam has, nor does CD Project have the market penetration that EA has. They would be shooting themselves in the foot if they did the OP idea.
I said make Cyberpunk 2077 exclusive not The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

It seems like some people just skimmed through my topic and didn't read it all.

I am fundamentally against any exclusivity and I'm pretty sure CDPR feel the same. Going exclusive means treating your customers like cattle, herding them into your special pen. For now, I'm intrigued by Steambox and I'm not sure Newell is trying to become the Caesar of PC gaming that everyone thinks he is. I may strongly disagree a lot with what Valve does and I don't like Steam, but trust me, they are way better than Microsoft or Sony, and more competition in the console space could be a good thing for the industry at large. Gabe Newell does care about the industry. I somehow doubt he wants to turn Steambox into another draconian, exclusive piece of hardware that limits gamers. Also, keep in mind that when a game is Steam only, I assume it's the publisher or developer that wants this kind of arrangement. They're the ones not putting it out on other platforms.

Blothulfur said:
I've got to admit i'm a bit of a hypocrite, i've got a Steambox in my kitchen:
See if you can plug a console pad and play :D/>

Blothulfur said:
They already compete, though I'd say they are doing a bad job at it (they move way too slowly, and Humble Bundle beats them more than often in most aspects already). They aren't focused on old games only since their rebranding step (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GOG.com#Rebrand_to_gog.com).
Good news, but I still doubt it'll be something from the mainstream (see Batman AO, Saints Row...etc).

Until that day GoG will still sell old games.

Just to remark my point: I read one moment ago Gog newsletter in my emailbox: Weekend promo, I don't know how many times I've seen the same games relaunched.

All of which are polluted with DRM garbage. GOG is not aiming for DRMed games. So, you should compare what's actually comparable.
Well one day you will realize how many people in fact is interested in this crusade, until DRMs still make em play what they want to play. Which makes Steam success. Again.

This tendency will grow, and with it, GOG will have more and more new games proportionally.
Not so sure about that, but you may be right. I mean I hope.
I'm thinking that they in fact are aiming to a certain kind of customer for a reason.

I think that the recent GOG poll was their way of trying to find out what their customers wanted most - for them to remain DRM-free, or for them to get new games where the developer/publisher insisted on having DRM. I didn't really follow the discussion, but the impression I got was that it was a resounding vote in favour of staying DRM-free.

It's all about choice. Different people want different things, and the gaming world would be a worse place without either one of GOG or Steam.

(Oh, and going back to an earlier point. For about a year, I was unable to buy from GOG, either through credit card or Paypal, because my bank didn't like them. Temporary fix was to pay friends to gift games for me. Permanent fix was a new credit card, and it took me two attempts to find one that would work for them. It isn't just the US that has problems, and it's something they're probably going to have to address sometime.)

cdred said:
It's up to EA (or GOG, Ubisoft, etc.) if they want to support Linux. Valve or SteamOS doesn't prevent that.
Gabe Newell: "What part is proprietary? We're trying to make it as open as possible. If EA wants to put Origin on it, that would be fine, etc... (trying to pick an example of something that people think we would prohibit)."

Picture: Gabe + Reddit

I highly doubt that Valve is going to produce exclusives for its Steam OS. Gabe Newell, has stated how Steam Machines and Steam OS are just alternatives to PCs. The purpose of these machines is just to expand the PC experience in the living room. Even though Steam OS is in its beta, its exactly the same as Big Picture. Sure Valve is pushing forward the idea of Steam OS/Steam Machine/Steam Controller to new people, but its only meant to expand current Steam users. Gabe has supported the idea to keep this project as open as possible and I think it will. I honestly prefer Steam over GOG.com, and I am glad that CDPR offers its games through Steam. However, if Valve makes exclusives for Steam OS, that can't be comparable with GOG.com as it only focuses on the PC market, which is dominated by Steam. Do Xbox One or PS4 exclusives interfere the market shares of PC games? I don't think so.

Zulama said:
I highly doubt that Valve is going to produce exclusives for its Steam OS. Gabe Newell, has stated how Steam Machines and Steam OS are just alternatives to PCs. The purpose of these machines is just to expand the PC experience in the living room. Even though Steam OS is in its beta, its exactly the same as Big Picture. Sure Valve is pushing forward the idea of Steam OS/Steam Machine/Steam Controller to new people, but its only meant to expand current Steam users. Gabe has supported the idea to keep this project as open as possible and I think it will. I honestly prefer Steam over GOG.com, and I am glad that CDPR offers its games through Steam. However, if Valve makes exclusives for Steam OS, that can't be comparable with GOG.com as it only focuses on the PC market, which is dominated by Steam. Do Xbox One or PS4 exclusives interfere the market shares of PC games? I don't think so.

You're right. The various articles were actually pretty clear. Quoting directly from Valve:
- "You won’t see an exclusive killer app for SteamOS from us. We’re not going to be doing that kind of thing."
- "Whenever we talk to third-party partners, we encourage them to put their games in as many places as possible, including not on our platforms,"
- He did note that smaller, independent developers may not have the resources to develop for more than one platform, but for everyone else, "it would be pretty silly...to limit their game to a certain platform."

So what they said was that small-scale developers, with minimal resources, MIGHT choose to develop exclusively for SteamOS. That's all. The extrapolation from that into "Valve is planning on releasing video games exclusive for SteamOS" is pure hyperbole.

They're not the hardware manufacturer for boxes running SteamOS, the OS itself is largely open-source, and whatever proprietary software ends up in there is one copy per customer, so what possible reason would they have? SteamOS is meant to compete with MS/Sony, not Steam for Windows/Mac.

I really have nothing against Steam and I fail to see why people dislike it so much. I live in a poorer country which means that I won't pay 60$ for a game UNLESS I have a lot of respect for the developer (CDPR, BioWare, Id Software, Blizzard, Bethesda) so Steam is an excellent way for me to buy games that I want to play but don't LOVE.

Bioshock Infinite is such an example. Not in a million years would I pay 60$ for a linear shooter with mediocre shooting, that is 6-8 hours long, no matter how good the story is. I simply don't have the luxury. Piracy is very popular in my country (even policemen pirate) but I think Steam is a great way to gradually convert pirates. For these reasons, I think the DRM is an acceptable compromise and I barely even notice it anyway.

dragonbird said:
You're right. The various articles were actually pretty clear. Quoting directly from Valve:
- "You won’t see an exclusive killer app for SteamOS from us. We’re not going to be doing that kind of thing."
- "Whenever we talk to third-party partners, we encourage them to put their games in as many places as possible, including not on our platforms,"
- He did note that smaller, independent developers may not have the resources to develop for more than one platform, but for everyone else, "it would be pretty silly...to limit their game to a certain platform."

So what they said was that small-scale developers, with minimal resources, MIGHT choose to develop exclusively for SteamOS. That's all. The extrapolation from that into "Valve is planning on releasing video games exclusive for SteamOS" is pure hyperbole.

They're not the hardware manufacturer for boxes running SteamOS, the OS itself is largely open-source, and whatever proprietary software ends up in there is one copy per customer, so what possible reason would they have? SteamOS is meant to compete with MS/Sony, not Steam for Windows/Mac.
VALVe or those partners of VALVe developing exclusives for SteamOS is dumb I hate exclusives and I hate what Steam is becoming.

Steam OS exclusives are no worse than PS3 , PS4 , XBox 360 or XBox One , or even PC exclusives . I don`t like exclusives of any kind because as far as i`m concerned any time you offer "exclusives" you`re shutting out potential customers and or profit that come from the additional sales . But that`s just my opinion .

Ballowers100 said:
VALVe or those partners of VALVe developing exclusives for SteamOS is dumb I hate exclusives and I hate what Steam is becoming.
What VALVe is doing is they try to push games to be multiplatform instead of exclusives. Personally I think it's definitely a right direction.
Worth to read about SDL 2.0: https://icculus.org/SteamDevDays/
Additionaly they are going to release tools as open source: VOGL
Development environment tools they are using are open source as well.

I personally prefer DRM over closed, proprietary operating systems and technologies like DirectX/Direct3D. At least I'm able to play Steam games on all computers unlike DRM-free Windows games which requires Windows licenses to be able to be played. I would like to see Titanfall on SteamOS but I don't think there's much change it's going to be released for it ...

Unfortunately most of my games are still Windows exclusives but I'm happy to see that VALVe is working hard to get things changed.

Personally i judge them as equally bad and want neither, not Steam's DRM nor Microsoft's OS and i'm buying the products so why should I be insulted with either? I've got rid of Steam's DRM as that's do-able thanks to GOG being the good guys and standing up for a moral cause, and soon as Linux becomes feasible and supported by GOG i'll move on over to that totally and be free of both parasites.

Oh glorious day callooh callay.

Ballowers100 said:
Posted this comment in the wrong topic I believe? Since this is about CD Projekt RED and gog.com making video games exclusive for gog.com only or exclusive to Steam or released for sale on both.

I don't think it's so far off topic as to require moderation. It's to the point of SteamOS not being a closed system.

SteamOS itself isn't necessarily a closed system as in allowing to install it on any generic x86_64 hardware. However Steam exclusive games are different matter. It's enough to use Steam exclusive API to make some game available only through Steam (or Steam on SteamOS for that matter). So it's somewhat orthogonal to the openness of the operating system itself. Avoiding such lock-in APIs avoids the problem of turning some game into an "exclusive".

In this regard I don't see how SteamOS changes things from how they are with Steam now. Steam already has exclusives caused by the Steam API lock-in. Developers who care avoid that even when selling through Steam, those who don't care - produce "exclusives". The situation will just replicate itself in the context of SteamOS.

Top Bottom