Cdpr Please add Fov sliders and 3rd person view to next gen consoles

+
A month after launch Starfield now has a FOV slider for 1st and 3rd person view while Cyberpunk2077 has been out for 3 years but still doesn't have a FOV slider

Attachments

• IMG_4003.png
    IMG_4003.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 69

ENZLEY

Forum regular
Curious. Which platform are you on?

I can't speak for consoles but there should be one on PC.

To be honest, I would prefer if it was possible to play at 60FPS like Cyberpunk instead of being stuck at 30FPS with some FPS drops in some areas (Akila City^^).
Increasing the FOV shouldn't help performances I guess :(

Im on Ps5
Ok, so you never played Starfield on console.
(+500hrs for me) And yes, locked to 30FPS on Series X with some FPS drops here and there... but they decide to add the option to increase the FOV, ideal to also increase FPS drops.
I'm surprised to be honest :)

Ok, so you never played Starfield on console.
(+500hrs for me) And yes, locked to 30FPS on Series X with some FPS drops here and there... but they decide to add the option to increase the FOV, ideal to also increase FPS drops.
I'm surprised to be honest :)
I mean… starfield just came out, they probably gonna add 60 fps eventually.
Cyberpunk 2077 is 3 years old game without Fov, how can you update the game so much and forget to add an Fov to an only fps game ..cmon…. they don’t even have third person view

Cyberpunk 2077 is 3 years old game without Fov, how can you update the game so much and forget to add an Fov to an only fps game ..cmon…. they don’t even have third person view

It's not about forgetting to add one. The option is there on PC.

A lot of people don't seem to realize how much FoV can affect performance. You want them to add that to consoles which are already pushed to their limits. They didn't forget, they chose not to.

A lot of people don't seem to realize how much FoV can affect performance. You want them to add that to consoles which are already pushed to their limits. They didn't forget, they chose not to.
Just for testing, I download the update right now.
My bet > either even with FOV at max, it'll be barely noticeable, either the FPS drops will be increased accordingly.
Lukily, I know exactly where I have to go :giggle:
If Bethesda planned to add a performance mode at some point, it would be already here, at release (knowing how people were mad when they announced it).
So I have absolutely no hope ;)

So how did a 30 pfs game did it in 2 months?
Post automatically merged:

Just for testing, I download the update right now.
My bet > either even with FOV at max, it'll be barely noticeable, either the FPS drops will be increased accordingly.
Lukily, I know exactly where I have to go :giggle:

If Bethesda planned to add a performance mode at some point, it would be already here, at release (knowing how people were mad when they announced it).
So I have absolutely no hope ;)
Is starfield a good game by the way? I might buy a series s

Is starfield a good game by the way? I might buy a series s
If you liked Bethesda games (Skyrim/Fallout), most certainly. It's a "Bethesda game through and through" (like they said) with Bethesda's strong points and indeed, Bethesda's flaws^^).
But if you're not familiar with previous Bethesda games, I suggest to take a look on Youtube or Streams to have an idea of what to expect ;)
It not difficult to increase FOV, I think it's even very easy ;)

Let's take an example:
On Series X, Cyberpunk already struggle a bit to keep a stable 30FPS in quality mode and 60FPS in performance mode (but overall, it's fine). Now let's say you increase the FOV, the game will even more struggle to keep stable 30/60 FPS, so maybe you will have to lower LOD & graphics to compensate and keep those framerates. So yes, you increased the FOV, cool... but there is a downside, the game look worse.

That's why I'm surprised Bethesda decided to add it in Starfield, knowing that on Series X, in some area (like Akila City), you can already feel some FPS drops (not very important, but still... there are FPS drops).

Ok, I tried FOV on Starfield and...
- There is a "warning" message, if you set FOV above the default value (85), you can encounter visual and performance issues (well, as expected^^).
- The default value is 85, but you can set it to 110. But at 110, no surprise, great fish eye effect. The view is completely distorded. I wonder, for what reason someone would want to play like that...
- I set the FOV to 100, still an obvious fish eye effect but well... and visited some areas in which there were already FPS drops. No surprise, it's worse.

So, my conclusion > Totally useless feature, introduced for a strange reason (for me). So back to default value :)

Last edited:

So @LeKill3rFou essentially answered this for me by trying the FoV in Starfield.

We're talking about a game that got locked at 30 FPS because they couldn't ensure a constant 60 FPS. I was assuming that they could ensure 30 FPS even with a bigger FoV but apparently not.

It's also my understanding that CP2077 is locked at 60 FPS and 30 FPS for performance and quality modes respectively. CDPR, unlike Bethesda, seems to want to ensure those FPS in their respective modes. Something offering a FoV slider would definitely affect.

Not trying to shit on Bethesda here BTW, I love Starfield but I can't imagine playing it at 30 FPS let alone lower than 30 FPS.

If you liked Bethesda games (Skyrim/Fallout), most certainly. It's a "Bethesda game through and through" (like they said) with Bethesda's strong points and indeed, Bethesda's flaws^^).
But if you're not familiar with previous Bethesda games, I suggest to take a look on Youtube or Streams to have an idea of what to expect ;)

It not difficult to increase FOV, I think it's even very easy ;)

Let's take an example:
On Series X, Cyberpunk already struggle a bit to keep a stable 30FPS in quality mode and 60FPS in performance mode (but overall, it's fine). Now let's say you increase the FOV, the game will even more struggle to keep stable 30/60 FPS, so maybe you will have to lower LOD & graphics to compensate and keep those framerates. So yes, you increased the FOV, cool... but there is a downside, the game look worse.

That's why I'm surprised Bethesda decided to add it in Starfield, knowing that on Series X, in some area (like Akila City), you can already feel some FPS drops (not very important, but still... there are FPS drops).

Ok, I tried FOV on Starfield and...
- There is a "warning" message, if you set FOV above the default value (85), you can encounter visual and performance issues (well, as expected^^).
- The default value is 85, but you can set it to 110. But at 110, no surprise, great fish eye effect. The view is completely distorded. I wonder, for what reason someone would want to play like that...
- I set the FOV to 100, still an obvious fish eye effect but well... and visited some areas in which there were already FPS drops. No surprise, it's worse.

So, my conclusion > Totally useless feature, introduced for a strange reason (for me). So back to default value :)
I mean… an Fov with some visual and performance issues (that can be fixed) is better than a game without an Fov, cyberpunk 2077 default Fov is 75 how can console players play like that without getting motion sickness 😭

I mean… an Fov with some visual and performance issues (that can be fixed) is better than a game without an Fov, cyberpunk 2077 default Fov is 75 how can console players play like that without getting motion sickness 😭

If the performance dips below 30 FPS already in some areas, I highly doubt they'll manage to bring it to a stable 30 FPS with an increased FoV.

As for how consoles players are playing without getting motion sickness.... well, I frankly don't know as I play on PC but I would assume the millions of people playing on console aren't all experiencing motion sickness. In fact, I'm very confident the vast majority are fine.

It sucks if that is not your case but you can't extrapolate your own situation to be applicable to every other console gamer out there.

Yep, like @GrimReaper801 said, with the default FOV, the game already struggle to keep a stable 30FPS in some areas... So with an increased FOV, I highly doubt they will be able to fix it anyway. Hence the warning > i.e "increase the FOV at your own risk, don't complain about bad performances and visual issues" :D

Edit : So like I said, "FOV slider" on Starfield is an useless feature and will remain an useless feature as long as they don't improve performances... I seriously doubt they will be able to (no performance mode - 60 FPS already point out that they can't do "better").
I mean.. I’m not the only one asking
Sure, but if something is not feasable or even worth it, you can "ask" it as much as you want, they won't do it (increasing FOV will surely tank the performances on consoles, performances which are already on the edge).

Last edited:
Yep, like @GrimReaper801 said, with the default FOV, the game already struggle to keep a stable 30FPS in some areas... So with an increased FOV, I highly doubt they will be able to fix it anyway. Hence the warning > i.e "increase the FOV at your own risk, don't complain about bad performances and visual issues" :D

Edit : So like I said, "FOV slider" on Starfield is an useless feature and will remain an useless feature as long as they don't improve performances... I seriously doubt they will be able to (no performance mode - 60 FPS already point out that they can't do "better").

Sure, but if something is not feasable or even worth it, you can "ask" it as much as you want, they won't do it (increasing FOV will surely tank the performances on consoles, performances which are already on the edge).
You think a field of view slide is not worth it?

You think a field of view slide is not worth it?
If it tank performances to the point that they have to really downgrade graphics (or crowd, traffic, remove any RT effects on quality mode,...) to be able to maintain rather stable framerate (30FPS/60FPS), probably not worth it.
Consoles are already are their limit, if you increase something on one side, you have to reduce/remove something on the other side, no miracle.

That's exactly my point about Starfield, Bethesda added it, but it's totally useless... Yes, you can increase your FOV, that's great... But in Akila City or any dense areas, instead of 30 25 FPS, framerate will go down to 20 or even lower and likely you will encounter visual issues and a bad LOD. Is it worth it... nope.

If it tank performances to the point that they have to really downgrade graphics (or crowd, traffic, remove any RT effects on quality mode,...) to be able to maintain rather stable framerate (30FPS/60FPS), probably not worth it.
Consoles are already are their limit, if you increase something on one side, you have to reduce/remove something on the other side, no miracle.

That's exactly my point about Starfield, Bethesda added it, but it's totally useless... Yes, you can increase your FOV, that's great... But in Akila City or any dense areas, instead of 30 25 FPS, framerate will go down to 20 or even lower and likely you will encounter visual issues and a bad LOD. Is it worth it... nope.
Makes sense, but I think at the end of the day it’s all about optimisation… I don’t think Cdpr cares like that, I feel like they just want to sell a sequel as fast as possible

Makes sense, but I think at the end of the day it’s all about optimisation…
"Optimisation" don't achieve miracle or don't surpasse hardware limits.
If it was the case, the expansion and the 2.0 patch would be released on XB1 and PS4, "old gen consoles" is still a fairly big market, but well... no miracle ;)

Edit : That's also why I have no hope for a performance mode (60FPS) on Starfield (I could be wrong). If it's not possible now, even if they work hard for months/years to "optimise" the game, I don't know how they could manage to double the framerate while keeping a decent graphic quality.

Last edited:
Makes sense, but I think at the end of the day it’s all about optimisation… I don’t think Cdpr cares like that, I feel like they just want to sell a sequel as fast as possible

No, optimisation isn't all it's about. People have a tendency to think optimisation can just save the day but that's just not the case. At some point the code is as optimized as it can be but you still have to render a billion polygons.

The game renders a ton of polygons, textures, lighting, etc. It doesn't render things you can't see. If you're looking at a billion polygons and your hardware is already pushed to it's limits, there is no amount of optimisation that will compensate if you throw in another billion polygons in there. That's essentially what modifying your FoV does, things that weren't rendered, are now being rendered. It has a cost and it seems CDPR would rather ensure a stable (I think - I'm clueless about the current situation on console) experience throughout than provide a FoV slider.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a slider if I was you. If CDPR wanted to put one in, it would be there already after 3 years.

Top Bottom