CDPR, Please make Cyberpunk 2077 as offensive as possible

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
CDPR follows source material, so they have to keep it as is to stay true. As for people complaining The Witcher 3 was white dominant, well...It was like that from the source. Why change it? Just imagine how offensive that would be to the actual writer of the books, Andrzej Sapkowski.

If you don't offend anyone, then you will never be original.

Based on CPDR's body of work, I doubt it was so offensive they had to remove it and more that from a different perspective it conveyed a message different than they had intended so removed or changed it. Might even just be that it is conveying a message when they just wanted a cool action scene.

Mills wasn't able to go over any specific mistakes the team had course-corrected on, but when asked about resolving a common sight in action games---a white protagonist barging into a room full of non-white enemies and opening fire--

This is what this american considered offensive. YOU MAKE YOUR OWN CHARACTER IN THIS GAME INCLUDING CHOOSING RACE.

This is not adversarial, but a sincere question, what is the city that you think is believable and not a product of catering to the pro/anti PC camps?
There definitely is a two-sides-of-the-same-coin dynamic going on these days. One camp is oversensitive and offended at everything if it doesn't suit their social ideology, the other is oversensitive to attributing perceived oppressed groups having big roles in games as blatant pandering(Though to be fair, a lot of studios are doing so by their own admission). It's worth self-reflecting upon.

There definitely is a two-sides-of-the-same-coin dynamic going on these days. One camp is oversensitive and offended at everything if it doesn't suit their social ideology, the other is oversensitive to attributing perceived oppressed groups having big roles in games as blatant pandering(Though to be fair, a lot of studios are doing so by their own admission). It's worth self-reflecting upon.
Come on man. You can't even compare when one of the groups you mentioned is the reason for the post.

Hey there o/,

maybe the title should be more like:

"Please CDPR make the game as offensive as possible to certain social media groups
they think they are always right because they yell [insert any non common sense here]"

Then it would be more precise, i believe. I doubt the REDs ll shy away from controverse
themes. I have no doubt though "those guys" ll creep into the forums soon enough.
As they did the time W3 was about to be released.... *brrrr*

So long

Mills wasn't able to go over any specific mistakes the team had course-corrected on, but when asked about resolving a common sight in action games---a white protagonist barging into a room full of non-white enemies and opening fire--

This is what this american considered offensive. YOU MAKE YOUR OWN CHARACTER IN THIS GAME INCLUDING CHOOSING RACE.
The interviewer asked CPDR how they would handle that and their answer would be to ask QA about it, they did not supply that as an example as something that they removed from their game. CPDR gave no examples, they just said that there have been instances where someone with a different perspective saw something other than they had intended and that view was taken into account, they also say that some things that they know will be offensive are left in because they are accurately conveying what they intend in that situation. Which is why I don't think it is a binary self-censorship sort of thing, and more making sure their game is saying what they want it to say.

Can we also talk about the fact that they said they were trying to make the game more modern and contemporary? This is suppose to be a game about the year 2077, it isn't suppose to be modern or contemporary.

I would like to see offensive themes (and in today's politically correct craziness, there's a lot of it) handled neutrally and through letting the player decide his stance on them without judgement from others than the particular NPC's who contextually might take offence. But offensiveness for the sake of it only works in certain style of humor (see Monty Python for example).
Yeah, I don't see a point in offending people for the sake of offending people, but presenting mature themes that may or may not offend somebody as a simply reality, and one that the player can partake in or not partake in, is reasonable.

I think you should be able to.

I didn't play it that way, but I've heard Alpha Protocol has very satisfying opportunities and reactivity to being an asshole.
That game has some very good ideas. How you treat people have has tangible consequences as the story plays out. Combat is meh but it stays faithful to it's genre as defined by Obsidian: spy role playing game.

CDPR compromises to no one. They will do right by the source material, and their fans. Everyone else can just deal with it. I for one hope this game touches on racism, sexism, trafficking, drugs, murder, rape, sex, and any other terrible thing you can think of. Now will your character be doing all of these? Probably not, but should they show up? I dunno, but i'm sure CDPR knows, and i'm sure they won't let anyone change their mind. They've got this and i'm excited!

CDPR follows source material, so they have to keep it as is to stay true. As for people complaining The Witcher 3 was white dominant, well...It was like that from the source. Why change it? Just imagine how offensive that would be to the actual writer of the books, Andrzej Sapkowski.

If you don't offend anyone, then you will never be original.
Yeah I don't get that complaint, since it takes place in medieval Eastern Europe right? I can't imagine for example many Asians or Black people being there, it wouldn't even make sense

There's an obvious difference between showing homophobia/racism/sexism happening and making a game that IS homophobic/racist/sexist.

What's worrying is that based on this article, it looks like CDPR's QA aims to remove even in-world portrayals of racism / homophobia / whatever else ticks of Western liberals these days.

Why is it concerning that the game should be very contemporary?
I can't speak for the guy you quoted but maybe he is worried that the game should have futuristic themes not contemporary ones.
The implication I keep seeing in the posts about diversity is the worry that if the game is diverse as a city today that it is going to be because they are catering to some PC agenda and not just trying to make a believable highly populated urban center of a tomorrow with body modification as fashion.
I haven't seen that implication in this thread, I don't even think anyone mentioned diversity other than to speak positively about it. What people are against is something like the example the journalist mentioned.
Mills wasn't able to go over any specific mistakes the team had course-corrected on, but when asked about resolving a common sight in action games---a white protagonist barging into a room full of non-white enemies and opening fire---he explained how CD Projekt Red might address that situation by asking the QA team for help.
How is this ever offensive other than because of some preconceived notion from the journalist?
Honestly, for me, if white people are the majority or if the "average person" is concerned about a person's gender identity, it is going to be unbelievable for me in a world that some people are anthropomorphic animals, and others still look like 1950's robots. This is my take on what would make urban 2077 believable, what do you see?

This is not adversarial, but a sincere question, what is the city that you think is believable and not a product of catering to the pro/anti PC camps?
I don't see how white people being the majority would be unbelievable in a game set in California. It should be more homogeneous than today definitely but I think it would be much more unbelievable if it has an equal percentage between the ethnicities. One of Night City's districts is called Little Italy and has deep Italian roots, I would expect there to be a lot more people of Italian origin than every other group.

I agree that the average person being concerned about a person's gender shouldn't be in the game since that is a more contemporary theme, see?

Yeah I don't get that complaint, since it takes place in medieval Eastern Europe right? I can't imagine for example many Asians or Black people being there, it wouldn't even make sense

I know you don't mean it like that but it kinda sounds like we had monsters and witchers in Poland in the past, lol.

What's worrying is that based on this article, it looks like CDPR's QA aims to remove even in-world portrayals of racism / homophobia / whatever else ticks of Western liberals these days.

It sounds to me like they are asking for feedback on certain stories that involve sensitive issues, and they want to make sure they have handled it respectfully.

For me nothing ruins a game more than developers trying to be edgy about serious issues and not only do they fail to tell any kind of meaningful story but they also manage to make offensive portrayals and stereotypes about whatever groups they focus on, that are so tone deaf and generic I just drop the game and don't continue with it. There is a nuance with these things that requires sensitivity and empathy, and if neither of these aspects are present you just have a trash game that insults people for comic relief or so that players who actually hold backwards views can feel validated.

I hope CDPR manage to avoid this in CP2077, they have in the past in most cases done a decent job of it. Not always, so it's good they're getting feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom