Character Customization!

+
You think people into cyber punk would be more open minded. Tsk tsk. Ever thought about the possibilities of some gauges? You could make one into a microphone to listen in on people, or have it be an MP3 and play music. Just put a little lcd in there and bam, you now have Newtech.

You think people into cyber punk would be more open minded. Tsk tsk. Ever thought about the possibilities of some gauges? You could make one into a microphone to listen in on people, or have it be an MP3 and play music. Just put a little lcd in there and bam, you now have Newtech.

I never said they were bad people for having them... I just said they looked kinda stupid and would make really convenient "cause they dude with one excruciating pain" thingamabobs...

And since you can get parabolic mics and mp3 players implanted right in your skull, or as normal sized earrings, all without looking like you have been having ear sex with a donkey, I fail to see the point, other than that a dude who has done that to himself has pretty given everyone who fights him a nice shiney easily exploitable target....

I never said they were bad people for having them... I just said they looked kinda stupid and would make really convenient "cause they dude with one excruciating pain" thingamabobs...

And since you can get parabolic mics and mp3 players implanted right in your skull, or as normal sized earrings, all without looking like you have been having ear sex with a donkey, I fail to see the point, other than that a dude who has done that to himself has pretty given everyone who fights him a nice shiney easily exploitable target....

Well i was talking more about IRL, because I can see those things as jewelry like that, before I see people getting them implanted. Not to mention they would be interchangeable. Also you could hide something in them, like a USB. Or they could be the USB.

The idea that people into cyberpunk are mroe open minded amuses me. I mean, we play a niche game and follow a niche fashion/setting/world perspective/whatever. We look down on everything that isn't dark, gritty and cyber enough. Well, look up, since we're typically poor and ambition-deprived. All that cynicism, you know. Universe's most supine moral position, to quote Miles.

Hmmm. ANY way.

We're not open-minded, Dal, we're SNOBS. Mechanically-augmented snobs. It's sad, I know. I feel terrible regret.

Having to play a pre-made character takes away your options, it does not give you more.

Hey, I get it- we're getting all into the spirit of CP 2020, and want to have it true to that form. When I first saw the trailer for CP 2077 I thought it was going to be like the Witcher games, but in a different setting with different rules. I did not expect a "create your own character roam about RPG", so color me disappointed...well, maybe I did, but I didn't want to believe it. But that's okay, I am sure this game will be fun because CDPR is making it. I am just saying that it might be possible to have both the "make your character" shtick, and also play characters in the story.

Having to play a pre-made character takes away your options, it does not give you more.

Well, or it just demands more from the player and his role-playing skills.

Look at professional role-players - actors. Does de Niro create his own character in every movie? No, he is given a script and the character is pre-defined. Then he has to fit into the role, be it, play it.

Well, or it just demands more from the player and his role-playing skills.

Look at professional role-players - actors. Does de Niro create his own character in every movie? No, he is given a script and the character is pre-defined. Then he has to fit into the role, be it, play it.

how do you know de niro wouldnt prefer to play a character he himself created?

he gets paid to play a role he was given

no one is paying me to play a role. so if im paying, id like to be the one to create the role

how do you know de niro wouldnt prefer to play a character he himself created?

he gets paid to play a role he was given

no one is paying me to play a role. so if im paying, id like to be the one to create the role

I don't think the character creation options only depend on who's paying and who's getting paid.

Personally I prefer a bigger challenge, that is playing a role of pre-defined character. If I ever get the option to create a blank slate character, I always get the feeling that I created a generic, bland, soulless bunch of pixels, without history or personality. Even if you get to choose the char's past, it's usually from a few bland, generic stories that can be applied to every one of them.

I don't think the character creation options only depend on who's paying and who's getting paid.

Personally I prefer a bigger challenge, that is playing a role of pre-defined character. If I ever get the option to create a blank slate character, I always get the feeling that I created a generic, bland, soulless bunch of pixels, without history or personality. Even if you get to choose the char's past, it's usually from a few bland, generic stories that can be applied to every one of them.

If the characters past is that important to you, make it up yourself.

And you are the one who brought up Deniro... he does what he does, because he gets paid obscene amounts of money... and even then, whenever he writes the movie or directs it himself, he is the one defining his own character... which is the ultimate goal of most actors, to be able to pick and choose the roles they want to play, not just the ones they are hired for.

Look, there are plenty of games where you have to play someone else's character... if you want that, you are getting Witcher 3, enjoy it. Or go play any one of a thousand other games. Cyberpunk 2020 is about creating your own character. Cyberpunk 20777 seeks to emulate that, and they have already stated that fully customizable characters will be the direction they are going.

I don't understand the need to play as a pre-defined character. That is boring to me. That's actually why I prefer playing BioWare games. You get to create your own character and they already have their own history and you, throughout the course of the games, get to define their personality. I am interested in seeing how CDPR handles this, because honestly, I don't think they did a good job with Geralt in the Witcher series. Geralt has far more personality in the books than he does in the games and now that CDPR wants to allow you to create your own character they need to be able to reflect dialogue and action choices based on different temperaments.

Look, there are plenty of games where you have to play someone else's character... if you want that, you are getting Witcher 3, enjoy it. Or go play any one of a thousand other games. Cyberpunk 2020 is about creating your own character. Cyberpunk 20777 seeks to emulate that, and they have already stated that fully customizable characters will be the direction they are going.

I will play the games I want to play, not those which other people tell me to play. And this is an internet forum, designed for expressing and discussing opinions and I'm going to do it. At the same time I would like to encourage all others to feel free to state their opinions, without being directed where they should go if they don't agree with the one and only correct opinion. That also includes me.

Ohhh, no. You should play the games -we- tell you to play. When we tell you to play them. AND HOW. If you should have -fun- in any way, please report immediately to your local nonelected representative. For..processing.

And my opinion is still righter. Rightest, even!

Multiple character beginnings/origins would be nice, as long as they make sense, are well-executed, and aren't restricted to only affecting the beginning of the story. The origin you come from should have an impact on many of the big decisions and interactions you make throughout the game and especially coming up toward the end. Dragon age got the beginning part, but as I recall they never carried it through the mid- and end-game story as much as I hoped. Visual customization of your character is seemingly a solved problem to simply be replicated and perfected. Ensuring character personality/story can also be customized would really be something. So you don't just show others how your character looks or what abilities/cyberware they have, but can also show off what decisions they make and why.

I will play the games I want to play, not those which other people tell me to play. And this is an internet forum, designed for expressing and discussing opinions and I'm going to do it. At the same time I would like to encourage all others to feel free to state their opinions, without being directed where they should go if they don't agree with the one and only correct opinion. That also includes me.

By all means play them, play them all, or play just the ones you want... or play the ones you hate... but there is no point, in any game, where I wouldn't rather be playing my own customized character. The characters backstory is so inconsequential to me in a video game that its not even funny... mostly because I prefer to give the characters their own backstory and motivations anyway. Hell even in 99% percent of games when a backstory is given for the character, it is either hamfisted, or completely irrelevant to what is going on in the game. The other 1 percent is when you are playing a popular character from a pre-existing property, like Geralt, or Spiderman... and even then, the backstory comes mostly from outside the game.

The attitude that anyone would rather have a pre-generated character, and be led by the hand as to what his motivations are.... which usually have only the flimsiest veil of relevance to what you are actually doing in the game, as opposed to a charqacter you create yourself, and assign his own motivations to, baffles me.

And, as Sardi, Blank, and I have been discussing since the blog days, There is an absolutely perfect mechanic within the game already their, and fairly easily emulatable, for giving your character a back story, a history, and motivations... It's called Lifepath, and it is a core concept of the PNP game that many other games since have tried to replicate..

I think everyone knows what type of game CP 2077 is aiming to be, so It doesn't help to reiterate that. I was saying that if CDPR is making a cool futuristic RPG with all sorts of new game play functionalities, then it might be fun to experience that world in a story format with pre-defined characters. It's not a valid argument to say that so many types of those RPGs exist, the point is to play this particular RPG with that format because of the antagonistic factions and brain dancing and androids etc, so basically things which make this world unique. It's not skin off anyone's back if players get that option ;)

Hrm.

As far as the issue of "background" is concerned, I don't think I have a strong opinion one way or the other as to user-generated or pre-generated, as long as it interacts with the game in a way that makes sense.

Good example of background interacting with the game: Red Dead Redemption, GTA IV. RDR, the sins of the father eventually catch up with him. GTA IV, various unsavory characters re-emerge in Niko's life, that need to be dealt with.

Bad example: Saints Row 2. The story in the cutscenes themselves was superb. However, it's kind of hard to take the gritty, street-level story seriously, when your character is dressed in a zebra pimp outfit, or dressed in a hot dog costume.

This goes back to the opening discussion about customization options. While I don't care how you choose to play your single-player experience (complete with Bronies, or Furry costumes, or whatever,) I wouldn't expect a gritty Cyberpunk story coming out of a backdrop of neon-colored Raver kids.

Top Bottom