Chrome Book 5

+
If they go by that poll, and if that's for a new Cyberpunk 2077, then it seems it'll more Biopunk than Cyberpunk. Bioware is cool and all, but cyberware is what this game is all about.

What Macleod said. I mean, I almost voted for Bioware, too, until I realised that hey, DA2 kind of sucked.

I guess we have to suck up the 4th Corporate War, too. Ugh. I think I'll rename my CPunk setting, "NationPunk".

Actually, that sounds kind of cool.

I came here to post this information, and find myself a few hours to late... oh well... still awesome news...

They should put up a poll, asking if people would rather they ignore the events of firestorm...both for the pnp game line and the video game...

Never happen. I mean, submit it on their blog, but you know the chance is nearly nil. Too bad...

Ugh. I think I'll rename my CPunk setting, "NationPunk". Actually, that sounds kind of cool.

How about they restart the whole setting following the fourth corporate war, using that as a way to make it modern while keeping some core elements (the corporations, weapons, cyberware brands)? Much as I like the setting I don't want 2077 to be coasting on 1989 nostalgia like some derelict bell-bottom, tie-dye t-shirt-wearing hippie. Neither the video game nor the pnp game.

And given how many hundreds of chrome toys already exist in the game - many of them plain ridonkulous - while key elements like netrunning remain broken, the last thing it needs is another Chromebook.

Ahh..you know tie-dyes and bell bottoms are more 1979? Part of the "cool" of Cyberpunk is the 80s retro vibe. CDPR's art and art direction is shooting for that, yeah. Check out the links on the FAQ for more info.

I'm not sure how "updating" the setting to something modern for a game set in 2077 even makes sense. By 2077 we could be seeing a 40s retro, a whole news style set, a 2013 retro or even a 1980s retro. Which, apparently, we will be. Which is fine. That's the style of the game.

They do need to fix netrunning for the PnP, but that would require a major system book/update. A new Chromebook is just updated tech. It represents state-of-the-art and/or un-looked-at sectors of the setting in terms of gear.

I'm not sure how "updating" the setting to something modern for a game set in 2077 even makes sense. By 2077 we could be seeing a 40s retro, a whole news style set, a 2013 retro or even a 1980s retro. Which, apparently, we will be. Which is fine. That's the style of the game.

Maybe taking wireless connections to account, or removing Fax/Screamsheets as if printing was the way of the future.

Computing and mobile devices have advanced quite a bit ... it certainly could get and update. Even some geographical/political landscape could get and update.

I don't even think it has to follow a timeline ... simply update it as it was a new game and done.

How about they restart the whole setting following the fourth corporate war, using that as a way to make it modern while keeping some core elements (the corporations, weapons, cyberware brands)? Much as I like the setting I don't want 2077 to be coasting on 1989 nostalgia like some derelict bell-bottom, tie-dye t-shirt-wearing hippie. Neither the video game nor the pnp game.

And given how many hundreds of chrome toys already exist in the game - many of them plain ridonkulous - while key elements like netrunning remain broken, the last thing it needs is another Chromebook.

So in effect you want a completely different game? Well, there are plenty of sci-fi games out there to choose from. There's a reason people love the original Cyberpunk 2020, and while some people like V3 and some people want to change the game altogether, there would be no point in doing so. It's like taking Warhammer 40K and making it into My Little Pony Hammer 69 where marine ponies in pink rubber suits shoot flowers out of their asses.

It's not the same game.

Also, we can take a good look at a couple examples of when developers decided to change the game the majority loved; Cyberpunk 2020 into V3 - epic failure. D&D 4th edition - epic failure. World of Darkness revamped, rebooted and retconned - the most epic failure ever.

If it ain't broke, don't even think it needs fixing.

Ahh..you know tie-dyes and bell bottoms are more 1979? Part of the "cool" of Cyberpunk is the 80s retro vibe. CDPR's art and art direction is shooting for that, yeah. Check out the links on the FAQ for more info.
Yes, of course I know that. It was an analogy to people who can't let go of a particular era, for hippies that being the late 60s/70s.

It makes perfect sense in the same way DXHR looks modern and futuristic at the same time. It incorporates modern innovations such as tablets, smartphones and LEDs with a futuristic aesthetic, in DXHR's case that of the New Cybernetic Renaissance. That's what I'm talking about. You can certainly make a game look more modern while describing something in the near future.

They do need to fix netrunning for the PnP, but that would require a major system book/update. A new Chromebook is just updated tech. It represents state-of-the-art and/or un-looked-at sectors of the setting in terms of gear.
I'm hoping for a completely new line of CP2077 books, with a newer setting and a modern style, not a warmed-over rehash of the same or similar material with a few new bits of art from CDPR thrown in. But chacun son gout.

Food for the brain, extracted from the comment section of their webpage:

The WordPress Blog is taking over for our old site which is dead. It hasn’t been taken down yet but it is no longer our main site. As for Chrome 5, it’s the first step in bridging the gap between the Cyberpunk 2020 that people already know to the Cyberpunk 2077 that people will come to know. Between 2020 and 2077 there are 57 years that have to get filled in and this is the first step in the journey.

okay. I can dig the Bridge workbook I set my CP well ahead of the 2020 setting so I could experiment with things. a 57 year update is worth it. the Tech curve has to be insane int he period of time.

I, too, would love to see a new line of books. Chrome 5 being justthe first is encouraging.

Tech updates i'm all for, clearing up that silly wireless thing and tablets I'm all for, just so longa s we don't lose that certain Cyberpunk aesthetic of chrome and oil, machine over man. And hilarious punk hairstyles with piercings in stupid places.

Interesting thing about DXHR you're probably aware of: it's already feeling a little dated. It lacks social media and smartglasses, for example. People use desktop computers rather than the portables and phones that are steadily replacing them.

Be interesting to see how CDPR handles that spirit of fast-forward tech culture that we see now. Will they embrace it and do some crazy stuff or shoot for a retro feel that lets them hold to a coherent style of their own, independent of whatever we do out here in the Real World?

I hope they spend more time on updating the technology and showing more of the fashion, style, and services of the CP universe than they do with new guns and gizmos.
The fashion portions and customizing clothing ended up becoming one of the most-used sections for our games.
I'd like more braindance info (much of the info they had was from the 1st Edition 'Rockerboy' book). I'd like net-running redesigned from the ground up (preferably the fan-made and streamlined Interlock Unlimited version) with small (less than 1 MU) apps instead of full programs.

this is going to be a mega project too. Look how much tech altered between 2013-and 2023 in the main line. We might have to break this up into Era books, assuming the tech curve is as insane as it always was

well Given that Soul Killer V1.0 was Deved in 2013 in the original timeline, so we got some 64 years to make improvement in transfer and storage of that kinda of data. Are we looking at Cortical Stacks ala Eclipse Phase or full on Cyberbrains in the interceding years?

Top Bottom