Class expansions ? Play as a Corp, a Cop...

+
Hi guys, like everyone here I can't wait to see and learn more about the game but I also think about what expansions/DLC or whatever content there will be after launch.
The possibilities are quite endless, but what I personally would find super interesting and awesome would be to play as other Cyberpunk class in the expansions.
We know V will be able to take abilities from Solo, Techie and Netrunner classes, so I will just assume that we do not get to play and get the perspective of the other classes (could be wrong as we still don't know much !) but please bear with me !

Taking the example of playing a Corporate or a Cop could be super fun and would allow us to see the world through other perspectives and even see new locations.

As a Corporate we could have to rise from the bottom of a corporation to the very top. Lots of intrigue, hacking, meeting shady characters/gangs in order to secure our position/eliminate rival businesses or even rival "colleagues".

As a Cop, the same philosophy could be applied, from Beat cop to Investigator Department to Psycho Squad. Resolving side-quests crimes through investigations while in the story of the expansion we would be chasing for some big fishes.

It could either be through new characters or through "V", our main character who would have to infiltrate a Corp or the NCPD and opening new branches of the abilities tree.
What do you guys think ? Would "Class Expansions" interest you ? Do you believe CDPR would go for that or "simply" expand V's story and add new environments ?

No need for a DLC.

CDPR probably focused on Techie/Solo/Netrunner because they're the most useful and active roles, easier to adapt for a video game.

Tech will boost your technicals skills, Solo will boost your combat skills and Netrunning will boost your computing one.

What's the rest ?
Rockerboy, Cop, Corp, Nomad, Fixer, etc...

They aren't "skills" in themselves, more an activity (being a Nomad is like being homeless, you can be a talented netrunner and be a Nomad).
A medtechie do have skills, but not the most usefull one being on it's own over long term.

Their choice is right, you'd start the game with a "casual" character, more versed on tech/net/ or fighting (for the sake of the whole game and being able to advance throught it).

Now, as we saw in the trailer, there are police station, etc...

From what we heard, it's not impossible that your character could work as a cop, a journalist, even getting an instrument and joining a band to become a rockerboy.

You could use that to unlock new skills (the one from the classic roles)

Most roles can be transposed to jobs easily and would feel less "forced", and you'd be able to apply to them depending your skills stats (you wouldn't be a good journalist if you'd be a full solo without any social skill)

If the expansions are integrated into the main game like in The Witcher 3, then it seems doubtful that they would introduce new playable classes, since players would expect them to be viable in the main story (possibly with NG+), too. And the story was not written with say a corporate or rockerboy protagonist in mind, it would require a huge amount of work to change that. Expanding the skill system like in Blood and Wine is still likely, though. In an expansion or multiplayer mode that is separate from the main game, you start a new character and anything is possible. But a lot of players like being able to bring their character build and gear into the DLC quest lines, that might be a factor in why HoS and BaW were not separate from Wild Hunt.

If the expansions are integrated into the main game like in The Witcher 3, then it seems doubtful that they would introduce new playable classes, since players would expect them to be viable in the main story (possibly with NG+), too. And the story was not written with say a corporate or rockerboy protagonist in mind, it would require a huge amount of work to change that. Expanding the skill system like in Blood and Wine is still likely, though. In an expansion or multiplayer mode that is separate from the main game, you start a new character and anything is possible. But a lot of players like being able to bring their character build and gear into the DLC quest lines, that might be a factor in why HoS and BaW were not separate from Wild Hunt.

Reason why those class should be put as "jobs".
V could still be V, but working as a Cop, a Media, or even trying to work his way through the corporate ladder.

It would actually flesh the RP out more than just strictly being caught in a cop, corp, media, nomad, etc... Role

I agree with what has already been told. I understand the reason why they have focused on these 3 classes: they provide the skills and abilities which can practically be used in a videogame. For other roles it would be more difficult: you can think of specific Corporate-like or Rocker-like perks like having more credits, having access to more markets, having more social options,... But it would be difficult to imagine an entire videogame revolving around these roles: you can imagine being a big Corporate, in a top-floor office of City Centre, planning the destruction of another corporation, but it's difficult to make it work in a videogame.

Instead, I think it would be completely possible to have specific quests or even expansions set in these specific scenarios, like a big corporate war, but you will always mainly be an action-guy, even if Corporate. I think, however, that a specific feeling could be given with interesting choices and situations. Inspirations don't lack: see for example the Cyberpunk 2020 Eurotour book for Rockerboys.

Yes, no need for an expansion. I think it will be possible to play as a Corporate, a Cop, a Rockerboy or a Nomad simply by picking the associated skills and joining the adequate factions. Solos/Netrunners/Techies are your main styles of gameplay while Corp, Rockerboys, Cops, Nomads, Media, Fixers etc are your "jobs", the faction you belongs to. You can be a Solo Cop, a Netrunner Cop or a Techie Cop, but being a "Cop" means you works for a police faction of Night City (the NCPD or the Psycho Squad). Being a "Corp" means you works for a megacorporation and tries to climb the social ladder and reach the top (perhaps becoming the new CEO of one of the main corporations), and you can either be a Solo Corp, a Techie Corp, a Netrunner Corp, a mix-of-the-three Corp, etc...

While I'd like to see the other roles I certainly understand why CDPR did what they did. You don't need a role to learn to play an instrument and sing.

To many people have played to many games that pidgin hole their players; "You must be X class to do Y and no one besides X class can do Y". Look at your real life ... are you X Class an incapible of performing Y skill?

While I'd like to see the other roles I certainly understand why CDPR did what they did. You don't need a role to learn to play an instrument and sing.

To many people have played to many games that pidgin hole their players; "You must be X class to do Y and no one besides X class can do Y". Look at your real life ... are you X Class an incapible of performing Y skill?
I concur with your assessment. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to play a Nomad or a Fixer, but, to be real, these traditional Cyberpunk 2020 roles would not lend themselves very well to a street level, fight the system video game and here's why. First, the Fixer. Even at low levels, Fixers CAN be insanely powerful. How? Let's use the example of a street level Drug Dealer. First, even though he/she is a "bottom of the barrel", scum level street hustler, they would STILL have contacts in the underworld that most Cyberpunks would give BOTH Cyberarms to acquire. More than likely, this individual would have their supplier and all of the other contacts they know on the streets...not to mention a small army of drug dependent junkies at their beck and call...See the problem here? Second, a Fixer, by their very nature, is all about their business. Their goal: To make as much cash as they can, build up their respective networks and...eventually get that illusive "BIG SCORE" that will elevate them to the big time as a shot calling "Lord of the Streets." The LAST thing any "business minded" fixer would be doing is skulking the streets in the nae of some "quest" when they could hire some goombahs to do it...for a percentage of the cut, naturally. The Nomad? For the most part, a Nomad wouldn't fit because they are mostly geared for survival on the road and OUTSIDE of the concrete jungle and are kind of strangers to "static" society" (Their term for City dwelling culture) anyway. Cops? Forget about it. These guys are WAY too tied up with rules and regulations to be getting involved with the "questionable" activities the average Cyberpunk would find themselves getting involved in...Any cop that wanted to stay a cop long enough to collect their retirement pension, that is. Besides, they have a LOT of Authority (Pardon the pun, my fellow C.P 2020 fans.) and, should they abuse it too much...well, they wouldn't stay cops for very long. Corps? Too busy trying to climb the corporate ladder to even THINK about crawling down to the "basement level" of society for a round of dumpster diving...and again, there is the issue of POWER. And, finally, the Rockerboy....hmm, the thought of an individual able to start riots with nothing more than some hot licks and a message...eh, NO! Why would they have to do anything if they could get a small army of hardcore fans to do it FOR them. That's my view. Take it with as many grains of salt as you wish.

Top Bottom