SOLVED Clicking on FRIEND MATCH locks out the game, cannot play Multiplayer Friends

+
Game with friend broken

Hey, I can't invite anyone to play with me, when I select friendly match mode nothing shows up and I can't click on anything except scroll menu on top,even esc is not working, all I can do is alt+f4

Friend match issue

Last few day, I'm trying friend match with my friend but it doesn't work somehow. He is inviting me (or i'm do) he is accepting but nothnig happen , im looking screen he is looking screen

If i try invite him from inside of gwent, game is frezee for a while and then nothing happen too

What should i do ? is there anybody who living same problem ?

I've had about the same experience yesterday when I tried to play a friendly match for the first time.

At first, my friend send me an invitation but when I accepted an error message appeared stating that the game was already launched.

Then, I had to kill the game several time since I couldn't do anything except scroll through the different menu (no exit button, not able to go into any sub menu like "casual match", "ranked match, ...).

I was a bit surprised and thought this feature was solid.

Are we doing something wrong?

Tried this for the first time yesterday intending to have a couple of matches versus a friend I've just introduced to the game - similar experience, a window pops up with no way of closing it essentially locking the game, had to kill the process. Guess this hasn't been implemented yet? Or was it working previously?

Please send tickets to support and give them as much information as possible. What did you do, what was the error and when it happened, did you try any other methods etc...
https://www.playgwent.com/en/contact-support

Friend matches have been working on PC earlier, so if this has been happening few days already, contacting to support sounds good.

Seems when you try to invite a friend from inside of gwent, you can't get the new window of friend list if you're running any other overlay besides gog galaxy... That means no afterburner, rivatuner, steam... It worked fine before. Just turn off any apps that might give an overlay before starting gwent and friend match is available again.

Clicking on FRIEND MATCH locks out the game, cannot play Multiplayer Friends

I was attempting to play a Friend (already in GOG Galaxy) in Multiplayer in Gwent, but clicking on the FRIEND MATCH button results in the entire game being 'unclickable' (freezing?).
Nothing comes up, nothing is accessible in Gwent after that and the game must be closed/reopened to play again (even play Single Player).

The network connection seems to be working; I can access the internet and other online games are operating without issue, other system on LAN is accessible via network (Windows Homegroup, etc).

Steps taken so far:
- Verify installation of game
- reinstall game
- reinstall game to different folder
- run as Administrator (GOG Galaxy)
- run as Administrator (Gwent)
- add to Firewall Rules (Private and Public)
- attempt to play Friend Match in Windows 8.1 (dual boot system) and Windows 10 (both 64-bit)
- start Friend Match from within Gwent
- start Friend Match from within GOG galaxy
- join Friend Match from within Gwent
- join Friend Match from within GOG galaxy (notification pop-up)

Just wondering if there is something I am missing or ideas of what else I could try... The game works great for Single Player tinkering around (Tutorial, Challenges, etc) - really enjoying playing the game otherwise.
Multiplayer games ('normal multiplayer'; Casual Match, etc) also work without issues.

Thanks for any ideas!

(System Main Components Listed In Signature)

Last edited:
I had this problem, you have to launch gwent from the gog launcher, not the desktop icon, youll find that the windows appear correctly then.

Henshinagogo;n8658810 said:
I had this problem, you have to launch gwent from the gog launcher, not the desktop icon, youll find that the windows appear correctly then.

Thank you for your input, but I tried this and again just now, to make sure.

Here is what occurs:

- Game is started from GOG Galaxy
- Friend Match is clicked in game
- Friends List pops up
- Friend is chosen
- In-game states that Invite is waiting to be accepted
on other side
- Invite shows up in Chat in GOG Galaxy
- Accepting the Invite starts Gwent
- In-game nothing happens at all

We tried having both Friends start the game ('going from both ways') and still the Friend Multiplayer does not seem to complete.

Still wondering... Thanks again for your reply, though

Last edited:
Hi all,

Similar issue here. When I click Friend Match nothing happens and I am no longer able to select anything. I can flip through the menus but can't actually do anything. I have to force-close the app. I've tried launching from the desktop icon (which just takes me to GOG Galaxy) and also bypassing the desktop shortcut and launching straight from GOG Galaxy. Tried reinstalling as well but no dice.

Anyone find anything useful?

Friend matches had some issues during Closed Beta too. Fix back then was this:
  • Open your games in windowed mode (not full screen)
  • Put the game window down and chat with your friend via GOG, decide who is sending the invite.
  • After this, both players open the game windows and selected friend sends the invite while both player's windows are up.
Not sure if this fix works anymore, but I guess it's worth trying.

In any case, please send these issues to Support and tell them everything you have tried to do so far. Also tell the exact description of what happens (or doesn't happen) and the steps you took.

Last edited:
rsawyer757;n8661430 said:
Hi all,

Similar issue here. When I click Friend Match nothing happens and I am no longer able to select anything. I can flip through the menus but can't actually do anything. I have to force-close the app. I've tried launching from the desktop icon (which just takes me to GOG Galaxy) and also bypassing the desktop shortcut and launching straight from GOG Galaxy. Tried reinstalling as well but no dice.

Anyone find anything useful?

I had exactly the same problem. And i fixed it somehow. This is what i did:

- verify game's files
- I'm using win 7 and for some reason windows firewall (not antivirus) blocked my connection to gwent.exe. So, in firewall inbound rule settings I "allowed the connection" [ image ]: http://imgur.com/8GsWpqk
- restart pc
- run GOG as adminstrator
- go to GOG settings and make sure that box for Overlay is checked
- start gwent from GOG.

And it worked after that. I hope this will help.

Sunsibar;n8676130 said:
Friend matches had some issues during Closed Beta too. Fix back then was this:
  • Open your games in windowed mode (not full screen)
  • Put the game window down and chat with your friend via GOG, decide who is sending the invite.
  • After this, both players open the game windows and selected friend sends the invite while both player's windows are up.
Not sure if this fix works anymore, but I guess it's worth trying.

In any case, please send these issues to Support and tell them everything you have tried to do so far. Also tell the exact description of what happens (or doesn't happen) and the steps you took.

Thanks for the input, everyone, will try everything in here...

Would it be beneficial to send everything in 'anyway'? Is that what you meant?
Sorry for not fully understanding at the outset.

Will report back here if any of the above steps work, as well (for me).

Last edited:
TroyTheTech;n8679090 said:
Would it be beneficial to send everything in 'anyway'? Is that what you meant?
Sorry for not fully understanding at the outset.

It's always good to send report to Support if something isn't working properly with the game :)

I cannot play with friend (nothing happens after i click)

And no more i cannot accest any of the menus after i click friend match.

Edit: My overlay is enabled and i am running it from gog

Last edited:
1.) Log out, restart your PC, then log back in.

2.) Verify / repair the game through Galaxy.

3.) Install / repair all of the redistributables that come with the game.

4.) Ensure the game is not installed anywhere under Program Files or Program Files(x86). Also, set the game to "Run as administrator".

If none of those have any effect, please, send the issue into CDPR Support:

Sadly nothing changed. First i have checked destination. It is in under E:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy and i set the game Run as administrator (and galaxy)

Then i verified game. And i have repaired redistributables but i cannot install this >>>>> MSVC2015_x64 because it says you already have another version of this.

I have contacted support. Thanks for your interest.

I had same problems at start. Managed to fix it by restarting game and when friend sent invite I accepted trought sift+tab chat panel.

Thanks guys. No joy on any of that. I've submitted to support but no response yet. Hopefully they'll be able to help me get it resolved. GL Troy!

Top Bottom