Clothing changes are not good.

+
Am I the only one who is in this situation where I cannot find ANY actually useful clothing?
Or am I missing something?

Not only has CDPR removed clothing mods entirely, but to find anything that has atleast some benefit to the player is just ridiculous.

We already had the wardrobe system in the game that allowed the player to wear literally anything they wanted, so this change of having clothes have no actual benefit at all to the player makes the wardrobe entirely redundant.

So far I've not find a single t-shirt, pants or boots that give me any benefit at all and the benefits that I do get are at best "ok".

Feels dumb to be complaining about this now, but whoevers idea this was I would just like to know what the logic behind this is?
I get they wanted some "realism" aspect that clothing shouldn't add armor and only bulletprrof wests do that, but at the same time why remove clothing mods entirely?

Clothing mods added a neat layer of customization as well, but slowly CdPR just reduced the clothing mod slots and now they don't exist at all.

1695911608172.png

For inner torso, netrunner suits give a bonus ;)
Personnaly, I think it's a good change. Cyberwares providing armor and bonuses make more sense than piece of clothes.
(Before, it was pretty much like TW3... maybe too much^^)

Thing is cops and maxtac wear body full body armor actually you will see most law enforcement or security wear some type of body armor. So the armors are out there and I still think they need to add more clothing armors. specially since they aren't going to change the current system.

Unfortunately a lot of the reworks with 2.0 contradict the purpose of previous features in some shape or form so now apart from some very specific pieces of clothing, it's pretty much entirely cosmetic now and basically a 6th cosmetic slot for the wardrobe.

Personally I really loved defining my V with clothing mods (silent footsteps being one of them and immunities to elements) and I don't really mind them streamlining this by moving it towards cyberware.

What I massively do mind however is they got rid of the clothing mods and replaced it with a terrible inferior system. All stats on cyberware are completely randomized so they took away the player's input in defining their V and instead are using a slot machine randomizer to do it for the player, so good luck getting the stats you want or need.

Good idea, but terrible implementation because the player cannot define their V anymore in terms of stats. It's all random.

And on the topic of lore reasons; even if I was fully chromed out and living in Night City I'd still wear a bullet vest because I would not want to tank bullets with my own body. Who wants to have visible scratches and damage on their chromed out body :D

I don't have any problems with the change, I typically don't enjoy games that rely on clothing items for armor, skills, etc. Now I have to rely on my skills and abilities. In my case my character is pretty much in shorts and a shirt and that's about it, so I'm good. Right now I have started a new game and yeah, still trying to get things figured out but at least I don't have to be changing clothing items for better stats. Plus you can wear clothes or not, do what ever you want.

We already had the wardrobe system in the game that allowed the player to wear literally anything they wanted, so this change of having clothes have no actual benefit at all to the player makes the wardrobe entirely redundant.

I felt that way about the wardrobe for a hot second. After all, part of what the wardrobe solved was people not being locked into one type of look, sacrificing style for substance or vice versa. But I also realized that I had also been using the wardrobe to put together some cool looks for my V. If it was only about covering up the preem but clownish gear she actually was wearing I wouldn't have all six slots fleshed out and I wouldn't be updating them when I got new clothes. And you can still do that as an efficient solution to changes outfits rather than digging through inventory and find the clothes you want to put together.

As for mods in clothes. I think we as players accept some level crap that doesn't make sense. (Horizon Zero Dawn, you make health potions with meat. You heal with Meat Potions! Not even refrigerated! Dude NO! You should get food poisoning from Meat Potions!)

Clothing as armor and mod slots are one of those things. I would speculate that in the discussion to rebalance the game clothing was a "low hanging fruit" they could tinker with. (Sunglasses are armored? How!? I break mine by accident in real life all. the. time. I'll take all the crap this dark future has to off for sunglasses that hold up decently... never mind bullet, sword, grenade proof sunglasses)

For mods specifically, I think they make far less sense than armored clothing. Like you put this chip thingie (a mod) into your hat or sunglasses and this somehow makes you more resistant to explosions? How can a mod in my shoes do anything to my legs that make them run faster? Is it Flubber?
Those things have been moved to cyberware where they belong, a feature on tech that you are integrating into your body.

If you think about it, clothing mods were always a cheap rip off from the fantasy genre where any clothing can have whatever feature because magic and that's why. Sure we had fun with the clothing mods while they lasted, but it was never a well implemented concept and I didn't really consider that either until this change and your (and other people's) comments.

I think part of what we're dealing with and should embrace (not uncritically) is that in this way we are dealing with an all new game that we have to learn as if it was our first time. Just try to forget the pre 2.0 times.

I'm sorry, I typed WAY more than I intended/wanted.

I think it was a dumb idea to remove useful statistics from clothing. In a same time they forgot to remove from equipment menu the points where the armored clothes were stored before. We can play having those spots empty and we still have clothes on - a bit immersion breaking.

2023-09-24_2152_1.png

By the way, recently I found this helmet from screenshot.
Pre 2.0 I was asking for that Kang Tao armors availability for player and response was negative.
The helmet lacks goggles and mask, but basically it's the same model and painting.
Hełm KangTao.png

The clothing items suck again, I'm still wearing street wear from the beginning. Want to be more Voodoo Boy Cripped up but noooooooo.

I think it was a dumb idea to remove useful statistics from clothing. In a same time they forgot to remove from equipment menu the points where the armored clothes were stored before. We can play having those spots empty and we still have clothes on - a bit immersion breaking.
What do you mean?
From what I see on your screenshot, you wardrobe outfit is enabled (the little icon coat rack), so no matter what clothes are really equiped, it's the wardrobe outfit which is displayed...

For inner torso, netrunner suits give a bonus ;)
Personnaly, I think it's a good change. Cyberwares providing armor and bonuses make more sense than piece of clothes.
(Before, it was pretty much like TW3... maybe too much^^)
It's a stupid change because in order to get max armor or the most armor you have to run a edge runner build, which requires quickhacks.
Common sense would be to give higher armor to melee class builds not a damn build that hides in a corner or stands up high attacking npcs via quickhacks.

It's a stupid change because in order to get max armor or the most armor you have to run a edge runner build, which requires quickhacks.
Common sense would be to give higher armor to melee class builds not a damn build that hides in a corner or stands up high attacking npcs via quickhacks.
As far as I know, if you want a strong melee build (Blades or Blunt or Brawler), you want Cyberwares which give all sort of good buffs... hence you get good armor

The changes to Clothing are not only great, they were necessary.
One can not have an enjoyable RPG when one of the key ”gameplay” elements is to “save scum” (and repeatedly reload) every encounter that has a Legendary/Iconic loot drop, in order to ensure that one gets a “great roll” on each of the rarest unique pieces of Clothing.

In update 2.0, you can dress V however you want (via the Wardrobe function), while still getting some bonuses (Armor +25, or Enemy Visibility -7%, or Grenade Recharge Rate +6%, etc.) on your equipped Clothing, even if those pieces are ugly.

My problem with the new clothing system is how counterintuitive it is to both mechanical and theme of the cyberpunk world's of adverse effects of heavily chroming up. Originally, the armor values of clothing was inflated because the mods were tied to tech skills (which is funnily enough, still the same problem we have now), but if the values and mechanic was reined in, it would be much more beneficial, even for those that don't want to use chrome because of "cyberpsychosis."

It's the year 2077, even the condom's description in game alludes to advanced technology to make it much more reliable and V can make guns and other tech with spare parts. Why not with clothing? So the perfect way middle ground between chrome being armor and clothing being armor is to limit the clothing slots that can actually have armor, with inner torso and pants being the prime candidate.

Instead of being armor mods, where it's tied to a specific article of clothing, it should be something like "nano plates" (garbage name, yeah) which have their own slots and can be upgraded BUT in a more organic way. So while it's mechanically the same as installing a piece of chrome, it's also not reliant on going to a ripperdoc for upgrades and the upgrade system should be more of a linear progression based on however much the player wants to invest into it at any time.

For example, if someone just got out of a gig and somehow got 200 rarity 1 mats, they can use that to upgrade their armor incrementally and be on their way to the next gig without having to go check the ripperdoc. With them having their own slots, people can wear whatever they want without the need to take a mod out and install it into the new piece. This also allows those that choose not to chrome up as much to upgrade their armor to a certain value (good protection) and it still allows chrome heavy builds to be able to choose to have more armor (great protection) or other implants (good protection but with extras).

How is that any more immersion breaking than the wardrobe outfit being different than what your V actually has in those slots?
Also. love your V's look in that screenshot.

As far as I know, if you want a strong melee build (Blades or Blunt or Brawler), you want Cyberwares which give all sort of good buffs... hence you get good armor
True, but to get the best cyberwares thats needed for a melee build, you will have to put a lot of points in the technical tree all the way to the top to get the ability to use more than 1 cyberware.

Top Bottom