Combat system

+
suhiir said:
With a realistic combat system sheer numbers are far, Far, FAR more dangerous then any "Boss" could ever be.
But alas it never seems to work that way in games. Cannon fodder exists solely to allow the character to expend ammo and gain XP.

1-Which games?
2-In ArmA, with equal weapons, large numbers can quickly overwhelm you.There are no boss fights. The PC have equal capacities to the NPC. Ditto for (pre-2003) R6.

By the criteria she set herself, ArmA is realistic or at least more realistic then the games she is used to play. I didn't say anything more then this.

From what I've seen of ArmA it actually looks like a pretty good simulation (with the exception of wounds being cured on the battlefield).

I was speaking more of the Doom type FPS games.

I'd like a game where if I shoot someone, I see them fall down and screaming in pain, I want it to feel real to the point where I think, "I should've never pulled the trigger." In games like GTA, you don't give a shit if you murder an old woman, or a thousand, and neither does the game. It just punishes you with either a restart or a wanted star. I want to think, 'I can take him down non-lethally' not because the game tells me to, but because it's inhumane. I want the AI to be so good that if one of my stray bullets hit a civilian, I'll feel terrible for it. In every game, I just don't get that feeling,

There is a reason, why you don't care. It's lack of emotional attachment. You can make random civilian npc cry, scream, bleed, do some monologue about how much they loved their family. It doesn't matter. Suspension of disbelief. You know you are playing a video game. You can't elude that. You need to get to know a certain character, to care. If you care, you may have some second thoughts after shooting npc.
@Sardukhar

In ArmA/OF series, vehicles (Armored ones) are kinda, sorta boss like-ish (if you play as grunt). You need to avoid them, or aquire tool to destroy them, or capture them etc.

I just want combat to be deadly. I don't want arcade shooter nonsense, even if my character is on the edge of cyberpsychosis because of extensive combat modifications.

There is a reason, why you don't care. It's lack of emotional attachment. You can make random civilian npc cry, scream, bleed, do some monologue about how much they loved their family. It doesn't matter. Suspension of disbelief. You know you are playing a video game. You can't elude that. You need to get to know a certain character, to care. If you care, you may have some second thoughts after shooting npc.
@Sardukhar

In ArmA/OF series, vehicles (Armored ones) are kinda, sorta boss like-ish (if you play as grunt). You need to avoid them, or aquire tool to destroy them, or capture them etc.

I just want combat to be deadly. I don't want arcade shooter nonsense, even if my character is on the edge of cyberpsychosis because of extensive combat modifications.

I remember in The Walking Dead where you have to kill a certain character, or you can choose to save his life. (Not mentioning the character for spoiler reasons.) I hated the bastard, I wanted him dead but when I saw him helpless on the floor I just felt bad. I couldn't kill that guy, I want to feel the same kind of feeling I got from that in Cyberpunk. They could do that simply with well written characters, I mean the walking dead didn't have the screaming and all that, it didn't even have great graphics or anything. I'd just like moments like that where I know I could just blow someone away, but I wont because either I grow to like them or because it feels like their characters are so alive I wouldn't even want to, unless they're total asses. You're right, I probably wouldn't care about some guy giving a speech about his family while he's dying, I'd probably put a bullet in his head because I've heard the exact same speech from random NPC number 90000001. But I could see a game in the very far future that makes you care even about the random NPCs, where you can talk to everyone, do anything. Think the Matrix. :3 Unfortunately I don't think I'll live to see that, although Oculus rift is a good step in that direction. I think so anyway. The first time I put on one of those things was pretty damn cool.

Last edited:
. Suspension of disbelief. You know you are playing a video game. You can't elude that. You need to get to know a certain character, to care. If you care, you may have some second thoughts after shooting npc.

Yeah, Wisdom and I were talking about this. Douchery is so common in video games and PNP. I really hope to see a game where you come to know your neighbours and even passers-bye seem like people, with children and plans and lives.

Combat in CP2020 is deadly, but...but. If you know what you are doing, if you have the money, you can create a being capable of taking rifle and even heavy weapons fire, moving twice or three times as fast as a regular human, catching speeding cars, jumping onto rooftops and knocking air vehicles from the sky with built-in weaponry. Built-in radar, stealth-skin and near-immunity to poison, disease and pain are all part of such a package.

Special weapons and tactics are needed to stop people-shaped machines like that. Maximum-threat-level opponents.

C-SWAT. MAX-TAC.

They have the most dangerous job in an already dangerous profession for a reason.

Cyberpsychosis - Walk carefully. Guard your mind.

Or else...

The thing is they're not bosses per se. Infantry can take out a tank at several kms with the right equipment.

Sure, and I can take out Hover Damn from half way across the continent by making a phone call and setting off the demo I planted there last week.

It's more that certain threats need to, and should, be avoided in a game or the game gets my "Suhiir Stamp of Disapproval".
Don't recall the name of the game at them moment but there's at least one out there when a grunt with a rifle CAN take down a tank just by shooting it enough times ... BULLSHIT.

Any game that allows a character to carry (CARRY vice use) enough ordnance to take out any potential target (not including the zombie hunter type games where they're the only targets, or extreme sci-fi like Traveller where an FGMP-15 rulz) is a "game" and NOTHING more. I don't care how well it handles any other aspect of game play it loses me as soon as I see someone carrying a sniper rifle, submachinegun, grenade launcher, anti-tank missile, anti-aircraft missile, and a few kilos of grenades/demo at the same time.
Yeah, they're all games ... but some are a lot "Gamier" then others (and yes the double meaning of gamy is intentional).

Last edited:
It's more that certain threats need to, and should, be avoided in a game or the game gets my "Suhiir Stamp of Disapproval".

I..I want this thing. How do I gain it?

For me, it doesn't have to be 100% accurate - it just has to be something my ignorance allows me to overlook AND doesn't trigger my "No waaaaay" response. Like, boss fights that are badly done and getting shot, then regenerating your health in less than, you know, a week! With cyber! Yeah.

With my limited experience of the PnP I have noticed that it is very easy to die and even easier to lose limbs. I wonder if and how CDPR can implement that into a video game without either frustrating the player, or even tempting them to just reload the last save to get that leg back.

Of course there is the cyberware you can get to replace limbs and even the option to get an organic one according to the rulebook, but will players willingly take the handicap I wonder when quick load is so convenient?

With my limited experience of the PnP I have noticed that it is very easy to die and even easier to lose limbs. I wonder if and how CDPR can implement that into a video game without either frustrating the player, or even tempting them to just reload the last save to get that leg back.

Of course there is the cyberware you can get to replace limbs and even the option to get an organic one according to the rulebook, but will players willingly take the handicap I wonder when quick load is so convenient?

well that depends on a couple things:
1) they may not even implement a quick load feature. won't deter people from alt-f4 or ctrl-alt-del -> end process and restarting at their last save point, but without quick load some may not even think about that either. of course they could also troll us and make it so it autosaves at death and thus you lose the limb anyways when you reload, but that would be mean :p
2) depends on how badly they want to balance the unforgiving aspects of the game with casual appeal for the dollar bills. if witcher 3 doesn't do as well as they hope, they may make some things a bit easier and more forgiving in order to draw in players that ordinarily may not have bothered. hopefully not, but it is a business at the end of the day.

as to other things, having no experience with the universe previous to finding this game, what is the PNP's take on cloaking/invisibility? Personally I hope it doesn't exist as a full invisibility in the game because of the amount of content it completely trivializes. Maybe some things like thermal-cloaked materials or like a radar-absorbent material for armor (saw some of that in an equipment list from the PNP during research)? I just don't want a full invisibility cloaking device. Makes a lot of things really lame, especially if they do have some sort of open world PvP multiplayer in the game.

Never rely on Wiki for info.
The actual range of the Javelin ATGM is 2,500m.
Yes, in 2013 there was a TEST that got out to 4,750m ... but that was just a test.

I....would say WIkipedia is pretty reliable for info. Much more so than any other encyclopedia source.

I..I want this thing. How do I gain it?

For me, it doesn't have to be 100% accurate - it just has to be something my ignorance allows me to overlook AND doesn't trigger my "No waaaaay" response. Like, boss fights that are badly done and getting shot, then regenerating your health in less than, you know, a week! With cyber! Yeah.

I don't need 100% either ... 99% will do just fine.

Seriously, no game is 100% accurate, they can't be an remain playable. But I'd like it to at least be in the same state/province as reality.

I....would say WIkipedia is pretty reliable for info. Much more so than any other encyclopedia source.

I do research into military related topics for a living these days.
Wiki is a good place to start your search, but it's rarely more then 75% correct.

Last edited:
as to other things, having no experience with the universe previous to finding this game, what is the PNP's take on cloaking/invisibility? Personally I hope it doesn't exist as a full invisibility in the game because of the amount of content it completely trivializes. Maybe some things like thermal-cloaked materials or like a radar-absorbent material for armor (saw some of that in an equipment list from the PNP during research)? I just don't want a full invisibility cloaking device. Makes a lot of things really lame, especially if they do have some sort of open world PvP multiplayer in the game.

No such thing.
Sure you can try to mask your radar, IR, and to an extent visual (i.e. camouflage) presence. But none of those things is 100% effective, and MUCH less effective at shorter ranges (i.e. in an urban environment).
No magic = no invisibility.

I don't recall any boss fights in ArmA or 2, but I found large numbers only a problem if you were caught out in the open or couldn't shoot. The AI was still pretty terrible. And weirdly dumb in places, like vehicle

Can you expand on that? How do you define large numbers? Does couldn't shoot mean bad aim or lack of ammo?

I had a different experience. I think it depends on a lot more factors. Never played the campaign nor tested multiplayer extensively. I prefer to experiment with the mission editor.

There's some weapons and situations that guarantee lots of AI kills.Properly manned machineguns for one.Sniper rifles for two. I usually don't get OPed weapons liike scoped rifles because I know I'd kill a lot of AI russkies from a safe distance, but then would be the point? They are the situations I can think of as infantry where the AI could be killed in absolute impunity.

As long as the AI was dismounted and had a waypoint/clear axis of advance, they could be relied upon to shoot even if in a human wave like fashion.
Wooded areas didn't do much of a difference, it was almost like being in the open.Unlike say Ghost Recon, the forest and foliage often just wasn't dense enough to make a big difference once spotted.

Sometime, it's just target acquisition that is hard. One of my buddy and I tried this.In OFP, we put ourselves in a small village along with M16s and a small infantry section and two AI snipers in the woods. Because of the scale of the map, it proved to be fairly difficult to spot them before they killed us.

But as a whole, I do agree: AI leave a lot to be desired.

Have you tried LAN games? They're an absolute blast. The game is absolutly at its best when you work with close friends and use teamwork to your advantage without AI.

Ahmm...hmmm.....I'd give it to ArmA series as much as anything, except that bloody AI is hilarious. And I can kill lots and lots of guys in ArmA without dying or really being much at risk. And have. So have you, no doubt. That kind of stamps on the "realistic" angle.

But those are facets of lethality, not fixing goon-wave or Boss mechanics.

Yeah, but I think there's a difference between killing a lot of people because of good positioning and fighting say a lvl 1 rat in Everquest.

Killing large amounts of enemy is acceptable if you have the drop on them. Machinegun nests decimated whole platoons in WW1.

If you put prime Mike Tyson against 20 average people taken from the street and tell them to take on Mike one on one successively in a boxing ring. Mike would still win.

Of course, getting free potshot because the AI is running around like headless chickens, won't dismount or the driver of an unarmored troop carrier simply chooses to do slow doughnuts on the road is unnacceptable.

Weirdly enough, I find if you put the difficulty up high enough, the AI is still terrible, but some non-realistic game get close to that, like say DXHR. You try to play a few hours of that, in gunfight mode, without dying. Same for Alpha Protocol. Stalker, too..

You deff. had to be careful but I didn't think they were that hard espescially if the AI was at a distance. There were many things that mitigated the difficulty. For example, the assault rifle had an addon with homing bullets! You went out of cover for like 3 second, waited for the rifle to lock on, and then you could fire 50 cents style until it killed the target! Cover until health regenerated.

Sure, enemy could try to close in on your position. But you could fire on them, they would stop and that would force them to take cover. And so the cycle restarted.

Also the enemy had a rhytim to their firing pattern, so you could gauge that and use that to get out of cover.

I liked the combat in DHXR for one reason only: takedowns aka fatalities.

So unrealistic but oh how satisfying and useful!

I did die a whole bunch of time on the first playthough, I'll give you that

Edit: Red Orchestra 2 was pretty good and the MP wasn't swarm..but it was accept-death-and-go as well as being very very map knowledge based. Still, I liked a lot of how they handled the guns and damage and it was less clumsy than ArmA series.
Hm. Interesting. I shall look into it.

I think i remember SWAT being pretty good on one of the later versions.

You're prob thinking of SWAT 4. Good game.

Last edited:
Can you expand on that? How do you define large numbers? Does couldn't shoot mean bad aim or lack of ammo?

Lessee. Been years. Most striking example I can think of was an assault on a small/town village in..ArmA as I recall. Enemy - and often your own side - AI had them reliably popping up a few seconds after they ducked down, making it easy to kill 'em. Even if they moved, they'd always move back, so to do in a half-dozen or more fairly easy, all you had to do was wait. Disappointing. As long as you held a grenade in reserve on some of those missions, you could just wait until they massed to attack and then bye bye.

I remember a night-assault where after the gunfight started, you could gun them down coming out of a building..barracks maybe? They never used the windows, for example. To be fair..that might have been a mod, but same AI.

I like the combat in DXHR because you can sneak up and listen as they talk like people and then off we go. Made it much more immersive. Homing bullets for the AR were handy, but they didn't always work and you don't get them until about 1/3 of the way in. Maybe 1/2. I mostly appreciated the lethality on Give Me Deus Ex mode.

If you have to be careful, I'm happy. If you can kill 10 guys while being sloppy or without overwhelming firepower, I consider it more of an arcade game. If you can get shot a bunch or auto-heal with damn good reason, it's an arcade game.

Yeah, it was SWAT 4. Fun times.

There's some weapons and situations that guarantee lots of AI kills.Properly manned machineguns for one.Sniper rifles for two.

There is a reason real infantry dreads both of these, and if ArmA implements them well my hat's off to them.

From what I've seen on YouTube the AI in ArmA 3 looks MUCH improved. Tho the AI still doesn't seem to react very well to incoming fire.
I'm really tempted to get the game myself but alas is IS an FPS so I know from experience it'd be a waste of time/money for me.
But I do love the vids the guys running the 15th MEU post.

If you have to be careful, I'm happy. If you can kill 10 guys while being sloppy or without overwhelming firepower, I consider it more of an arcade game. If you can get shot a bunch or auto-heal ..., it's an arcade game.

Agreed.

Last edited:
I hope the AI'll be better than in DE:HR.
The enemies were dumb as brick...
"OMAGAD! HE'S CROUCHING BEHING A TRASHCAN!!! HE DISAPEARED!!! HE'S A GHOST!!!"
*As you clean the police station, shooting them in the feet....*
Seriously, it's one of the worst IA i've seen lately, the game is good, but not the AI lol.
...I honnestly even doubt they "really" tested the game, seriously, how can you leave the game with enemies who can't even crouch to shoot you, and who're stupid to a inhuman level of retardness...
Maybe they just don't have any knees... just some rigid fleshy legs.... now that explain a lot of things.
And I'm not talking about the "I don't ear you kicking a trash when I'm just a few meter from you, but I ear you farting from the other side of the building.".
Ho... And they never look behind the doors...
What kind of lazy guard, just kick the door open, "Ho, nothing", and go back eating donuts in front of his TV... all of this, walking among all his buddy's corpses? lol

And please, make the NPC respawn lol
In DEHR, if you kill everyone in the street, pull them in a sewer dump and they'll stay there...
Nice to play in a ghost town, but it just look ridiculous in the end lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom