Commander's Horn Suggestion

+
Commander's Horn Suggestion

Hello,

I just played a game against Scoia'tael where my opponent used commanders horn the final 4 turns of the game. Commander's Horn -> Natures gift -> Aglais -> faction ability (Eithne). I was wondering on what everyone's opinion were on this strategy as it's the first time I've seen it. I feel like this can be abused into an almost guarenteed win unless the opponent has card advantage and managed to draw dbomb or is monsters.

I have a few suggestions and the first one is that , like Witcher 3, commander's horn should only be able to used on a row once per round. My other suggestion is that commander's horn should be a golden card as those abilities do not work with golden special cards. The third one is that instead of doubling the attack it should simply add a static amount of power to everything in the row (a stronger version of thunderbolt).

It feels to me like commander's horn determines the winner of too many games for a silver that can be used multiple times.

Thoughts?

As Scoia-Player I think it is too powerful - but then again, NR having Dandalion (silver card,,,) is very similar issue I would say.

Damiero;n7048500 said:
Hello,

I just played a game against Scoia'tael where my opponent used commanders horn the final 4 turns of the game. Commander's Horn -> Natures gift -> Aglais -> faction ability (Eithne). I was wondering on what everyone's opinion were on this strategy as it's the first time I've seen it. I feel like this can be abused into an almost guarenteed win unless the opponent has card advantage and managed to draw dbomb or is monsters.

I have a few suggestions and the first one is that , like Witcher 3, commander's horn should only be able to used on a row once per round. My other suggestion is that commander's horn should be a golden card as those abilities do not work with golden special cards. The third one is that instead of doubling the attack it should simply add a static amount of power to everything in the row (a stronger version of thunderbolt).

It feels to me like commander's horn determines the winner of too many games for a silver that can be used multiple times.

Thoughts?

So you want to make Northern Realms irrelevant by removing one of the only things it has going for it... There are plenty of ways to prevent and counter a commanders horn scorch, dbomb etc. Plus everyone has access to a commanders horn.

gamingdevil800;n7048960 said:
So you want to make Northern Realms irrelevant by removing one of the only things it has going for it... There are plenty of ways to prevent and counter a commanders horn scorch, dbomb etc. Plus everyone has access to a commanders horn.

While this is true I think OP makes some valid points here. If its "so easy" to buff your units that much there should be more than just a dbomb and weather cards to counter it (I dont count scorch into it since its unusal that you use commanders horn on a row where all units have the same strength, unless you play with monster decks of course)

Edit: nvm I just remembered how broken weather cards are at this point so I guess there are already enough counters for it :D

devivre - I agree I think dandelion needs some reworking as reviving and playing horn again seems too strong. Again though, the horn is the issue and making it so you can play it once on a row per round would nerf his ability as well.

gamingdevil800;n7048960 said:

In my post I mentioned all the counters you have here but realisitcally scorch isnt that great since it will get rid of only 1 minion and with 4 horns on 4-5 minions its not going to really help the overall picture. I also don't see how this is such a serious nerf to northern realms - very few decks I've played against even run the horn relying more on the gold strategy let alone play the horn multiple times on the same row in the same round. Everyone has access to the horn but only Scoia'tael can play it 4 times in 1 round in consequtive cards on the same row. Even northern realms can only revive dandelion and seeing as unless you kill it yourself its unlikely you can play it more then once in the round. Weather is generally too devastating for your own board which means its unlikely to be included in your deck as anything but monsters unless this strategy gets exteremly popular. The only realistic counter for northern realms, skellige and even other scoia'tael is dbomb as far as I can see and that isn't enough in my opinion.

Damiero;n7049200 said:
devivre - I agree I think dandelion needs some reworking as reviving and playing horn again seems too strong. Again though, the horn is the issue and making it so you can play it once on a row per round would nerf his ability as well.

In my post I mentioned all the counters you have here but realisitcally scorch isnt that great since it will get rid of only 1 minion and with 4 horns on 4-5 minions its not going to really help the overall picture. I also don't see how this is such a serious nerf to northern realms - very few decks I've played against even run the horn relying more on the gold strategy let alone play the horn multiple times on the same row in the same round. Everyone has access to the horn but only Scoia'tael can play it 4 times in 1 round in consequtive cards on the same row. Even northern realms can only revive dandelion and seeing as unless you kill it yourself its unlikely you can play it more then once in the round. Weather is generally too devastating for your own board which means its unlikely to be included in your deck as anything but monsters unless this strategy gets exteremly popular. The only realistic counter for northern realms, skellige and even other scoia'tael is dbomb as far as I can see and that isn't enough in my opinion.
If they nerf commander horn then I'm kind of screwed against monster decks. I haven't seen Scoia'tael use more than one horn though if its the ability that lets them reuse the special card then that ability needs reworking instead of commander horn. Honestly I was up against a skellige deck once used the horn twice and still lost by like a point.

For me it's not the card but the quantify you can use it. And with Dandelion NR too has pretty easy ways to horn several times (doubt it's good that this unit is exclusively there).

Personally it's fun to play Scoia and commander horn (or wait until someone does that), use natures gift to repeat that, use aglais to horn again and eithne to use aglais again... but it's really not ideal that you can do that.

Last edited:
Considering that Scoia doesn't get to high numbers that easily (outside of hawker supports, which are countered easily by players who spent a bit more time in the game) I don't think that the horn is that OP to be honest..and it also needs at least 4 cards to pull off. So yeah, it's definitely not weak but I don't think it calls for a nerf.

KasumiGoto;n7054790 said:
Considering that Scoia doesn't get to high numbers that easily (outside of hawker supports, which are countered easily by players who spent a bit more time in the game) I don't think that the horn is that OP to be honest..and it also needs at least 4 cards to pull off. So yeah, it's definitely not weak but I don't think it calls for a nerf.

Yeah, people make it sound like those combos are easy to repeat in every single match which they arent. And there are counters, and people forget they dont have to win that round, they can win the next one where maybe no commanders horn will be played.

Top Bottom