Communication and the Road Ahead

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking as a console player, their vision might have been better realized if they'd bothered to make a game playable rather than make a bunch of unnecessary cosmetic editions. I was here for the story and the world but I can't enjoy it when I was charged 60 dollars for something that crashed every half hour.
Yes, they've greatly underestimated the time it took to polish the game on multiple systems simultaneously.

I am a PC only gamer. When it comes to controllers and thumb sticks, I am very unskilled, probably to a comical degree.

Well, console games or PC gamers shouldn't really feel sorry for each other, they are different markets to some degree. It's hard to mix us in online worlds because the controllers and mouse/keyboard tools are just different.

But, the console gamers got RDR2 before us PC folks did, and yall got "The Last of Us" and we never got to play that one.

Having said that, I still do feel for yall on consoles with CP77. It sounds like it was a rough deal. We all waited long for the game, and ya'll got the shitter end of the stick this time.

Let's hug.

Eh, there's no point in any sort of imagined rivalry or act. We're all just fans of the same game and before things went to Hell, company.
Post automatically merged:

Yes, they've greatly underestimated the time it took to polish the game on multiple systems simultaneously.

I have the unpopular opinion that I do think the overreach is something that would have been better resolved if they had kept things simpler rather than trying to push it over the limit. Maybe if they had kept it closer to being WITCHER 3 W/ GUNS! Maybe it would have been disappointing to some to not have the car chases and a bike instead of a horse with a handful of character options but it might have allowed them to build a foundation for Cyberpunk 2080 or whatever.

I am a PC only gamer. When it comes to controllers and thumb sticks, I am very unskilled, probably to a comical degree.

Well, console games or PC gamers shouldn't really feel sorry for each other, they are different markets to some degree. It's hard to mix us in online worlds because the controllers and mouse/keyboard tools are just different.

But, the console gamers got RDR2 before us PC folks did, and yall got "The Last of Us" and we never got to play that one.

Having said that, I still do feel for yall on consoles with CP77. It sounds like it was a rough deal. We all waited long for the game, and ya'll got the shitter end of the stick this time.

Let's hug.
Yes, i think a group hug is in order here.

Still, i hope they're working on dlcs and expansions too (as planned), because patches and optimization can only keep players interested in the game for so long.
Wild tinfoil hat, clown suit inspired speculation, they're doing exactly what they planned to do from the start. So, fix busted stuff -> free DLC -> expansions. That little sequence is probably what is happening or going to happen. The difference is the time line was shifted. Step 2 and 3 of that process will occur later because step 1 took longer.
Gotta use them strafe keys to line up the pew pew to the dome.
It's not like it's unprecedented. I'll leave that ambiguous. :)

I have the unpopular opinion that I do think the overreach is something that would have been better resolved if they had kept things simpler rather than trying to push it over the limit. Maybe if they had kept it closer to being WITCHER 3 W/ GUNS! Maybe it would have been disappointing to some to not have the car chases and a bike instead of a horse with a handful of character options but it might have allowed them to build a foundation for Cyberpunk 2080 or whatever.
I for one am happy they took the risk and went for something different and more ambitious (in some aspects). I wouldn't want them to become another Ubisoft where they'd serve us the same game each cycle in a slightly different coat. But I fully expect the next iteration of Cyberpunk and The Witcher to be notably better optimized on release given everything that has happened. I really do hope that this hardship they are going through is hard just enough for them to get up, learn from it and do things differently and better.

I think there's quite a few of us already playing other games, we'd just prefer to be playing this as well if there's a decent update so check back here/twitter, etc, to see if there's any news, then as this has gone on for a while it's led to confusion. Hopefully we'll get some info soon anyway.
Yep, just picked Valhalla back up since the Paris dlc drops on the 12th.

I partially agree with that. They should have ditched old-gen way before release, given the results. But since they chose not to, they now have an obligation toward console players to not make them feel like second-rank consumers. Maybe even third-rank, if you have the misfortune of playing it on base XOne or Ps4.

Still, i hope they're working on dlcs and expansions too (as planned), because patches and optimization can only keep players interested in the game for so long.
Nah, they couldn't leave last gen off. Needed revenue. Surely they'll stop supporting last gen in 2023 or 24 though.

Yep, just picked Valhalla back up since the Paris dlc drops on the 12th.

Nah, they couldn't leave last gen off. Needed revenue. Surely they'll stop supporting last gen in 2023 or 24 though.

I mean, they had no way of knowing but Next Generation consoles are still a tiny portion of the viewer base due to the fact that supply chains for their production do not exist.

I'm still waiting for my PS PRO let alone 5.

First let me be clear, I'm definitely pro Projekt. LOL but GD, for a company that has been caught with its pants down this just doesn't see to be the correct way to proceed (imo). I mean who's calling the shots - Chris Roberts?
Now there's a case study in exactly the opposite of what we're dealing with here. Somebody who's apparently incapable of not promising every feature anyone ever suggested to him, selling for lots of real money things that are still only concept art for a game that's still in alpha after a decade of development. I'll take CDPR's silence over Roberts', um, well over whatever it is that he's doing, any day.

But I fully expect the next iteration of Cyberpunk and The Witcher to be notably better optimized on release given everything that has happened. I really do hope that this hardship they are going through is hard just enough for them to get up, learn from it and do things differently and better.

The next one if they make it should be way better from the off. Going from a Witcher setting to a Cyberpunk one was never going to be easy especially with the added scale of the city, but if we get a sequel they'll already have a foundation from this (after they've got the bugs and other stuff out of the way) and won't have to deal with last gen consoles either which should make things a lot easier.

I'm not going to re-iterate all the points I have made in my previous post, but I still have the impression that CDPR's PR (no pun intended) is just awful. Why? Here are a few examples.
  • There was an issue with savegames getting corrupted after playing and crafting for a while. CDPR released a statement that this is due to some kind of abuse, which it was not and which they also realised, but they didn't communicate anything but released a patch a few days later.
  • After the hack had occurred they did not push to the QA repository for two (three?) weeks even though they started pushing a few days before the hack. This is a clear indication that the work had been stalled for the same time period. At this point, it should have seemed obvious to me that 1.20 would not be released in February, but I was optimistic because they didn't state otherwise. CDPR waited until the very end of February to tell us that the patch had been delayed even though the knew after the hack. This reminds me of my school days where I didn't start with my homework until it was due. Also, this reflects badly on CDPR because either their communication is truly bad, or they didn't learn from CP2077's release and actually though they would be done with 1.20 in February...
  • Pawel Sasko allegedly stated that the DLC/Patch would be released at the end of July, which he clarified a week afterwards in his stream again, while the gaming media was running wild. CDPR knew of this for a whole week, but they chose not to say anything and leave us in the dark.

Also, I would like to add that I'm usually patient and don't really care about delays and I also often purchase the games sometime after the release to have the bugs fixed (every game has them). Anyway, I bought CP2077 at launch because I love CDPR's games and it is one of the studios I absolutely trust (I still do). However, their way of communicating with their fanbase is a kick in the shins and as other's have pointed out I do not want/need precise dates, but an update to the planned work would be nice.

Let's hug.
Exactly my thoughts.

The next one if they make it should be way better from the off. Going from a Witcher setting to a Cyberpunk one was never going to be easy especially with the added scale of the city, but if we get a sequel they'll already have a foundation from this (after they've got the bugs and other stuff out of the way) and won't have to deal with last gen consoles either which should make things a lot easier.

"Setting" of any kind is irrelevant.

Bethesda, RockStar, and many other dev studios regularly produce multiple games across multiple subgenre settings.

What is relevant however, is WHAT they were working with. As I understand things, The Witcher 3 was built on a vastly different (and somewhat inferior) version of RedEngine, while Cyberpunk 2077 was developed on the new RedEngine 4.0, which was apparently only in production while the game itself was still basically in concept. In 2015*. The game was announced 3 years prior in 2012. Which means the game was still mostly (maybe completely?) concept until the engine was complete.

* 2015 is important here, because it stands to reason that nothing was "presentable" from a gameplay perspective as production on the engine was barely under way by then. So even under the most generous of circumstances (engine finished sometime in 2016), the game saw, at best, between 2 and 4 years of actual dev time. For a game of this magnitude, that's little to nothing.

Any work they may have done in RedEngine 3 (assuming there was any), would then need to be updated or completely retooled for RedEngine 4. And that's not accounting for any RedEngine 3 systems that may not be compatible with RedEngine 4. RedEngine 4 touts all new "advanced animation and AI" systems. Neither of which are on display in the current iteration of the game in any obvious "advanced" capacity.

Simply put:

Somebody bit off more than they could chew in the timeframe they agreed to deliver on.

Pawel Sasko said it was coming this month at the end of July, I took that as him saying in August.

"Setting" of any kind is irrelevant.

Bethesda, RockStar, and many other dev studios regularly produce multiple games across multiple subgenre settings.

What is relevant however, is WHAT they were working with. As I understand things, The Witcher 3 was built on a vastly different (and somewhat inferior) version of RedEngine, while Cyberpunk 2077 was developed on the new RedEngine 4.0, which was apparently only in production while the game itself was still basically in concept. In 2015*. The game was announced 3 years prior in 2012. Which means the game was still mostly (maybe completely?) concept until the engine was complete.

* 2015 is important here, because it stands to reason that nothing was "presentable" from a gameplay perspective as production on the engine was barely under way by then. So even under the most generous of circumstances (engine finished sometime in 2016), the game saw, at best, between 2 and 4 years of actual dev time. For a game of this magnitude, that's little to nothing.

Any work they may have done in RedEngine 3 (assuming there was any), would then need to be updated or completely retooled for RedEngine 4. And that's not accounting for any RedEngine 3 systems that may not be compatible with RedEngine 4. RedEngine 4 touts all new "advanced animation and AI" systems. Neither of which are on display in the current iteration of the game in any obvious "advanced" capacity.

Simply put:

Somebody bit off more than they could chew in the timeframe they agreed to deliver on.

I think setting is stil important, if they were making a fantasy game I'm sure things would have gone a lot more easily with the familiarity they already had with it. At the same time I might be focusing too much on that part and what you're saying might be closer to what the main problem was.

When I manage or create a service desk I always make sure there is an hourly update when there is a prio 1 incident (ton of people can't work). We do that by updating a pre-recorded message in the call center and update points of contact true out the company, if the internal network isn't down we update the website. Reason is to set expectations. If you don't set expectations the customer will eventually come up with their own expectations and that will always hurt you.
Often set company is hesitant to implement this but when they do they get great feedback on bad news. Some decide to move that meeting they had tomorrow to today or they take the afternoon off.
I don't expect an hourly update from CDPR but in rebuilding trust a weekly update could help greatly to get sympathy back from the general public. What are they working on, what are the problems, are there successes. No release date but just a friendly, human update makes it at least clear that not everyone has gone on vacation or is working on the next update for Gwent or that mobile thing.

Whatever they do, they need to pick up the pace. Modders and others are leaving them in the dust :ROFLMAO:

Wow! That is so awesome that they did that! You don't know how bad I want CDPR to implement this in the game. 50ish native to 80ish FPS in fsr is really, really good! Thank you for posting this video it gives me a great example of what my setup will run when they decide to implement fsr since I have the same res 3440X1440p

Wow! That is so awesome that they did that! You don't know how bad I want CDPR to implement this in the game. 50ish native to 80ish FPS in fsr is really, really good! Thank you for posting this video it gives me a great example of what my setup will run when they decide to implement fsr since I have the same res 3440X1440p

You're welcome.

I'm hopeful they do it as well. And soon. I'm kind of pissed these "fixes" they implemented seriously degraded my graphics. I mean I get why they did it. I just don't think it was reasonable to include in the PC versions of the patches. I don't recall many PC players complaining about graphics issues if they met the minimum suggested hardware requirements. I had to completely reconfigure my graphics settings and retool my ReShade, and the game still doesn't look as good as it did pre-patches. Gameplay wise, these patches have done nothing "notable" for me. Traded a few old bugs for a few new ones. That's it.

People say they want info but then ignore what they have been told. Despite extensive patch notes people still say the patches did nothing, hell people are still moaning about perks being broken even though I believe now most if not all of them are fixed. Did people not want their perks fixed? Pawel speaks during his stream and his words are immediately taken out of context but if you watched the stream, it was pretty clear he isn't promising a DLC for august/july. Communicate or not people will moan, they will moan CDPR are not doing the right thing. Might as well not communicate as it seems rather a wasted effort

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom