'Crowd Density' setting is a huge hit on CPU usage. Video proof included.

+
*I posted this in the general Technical forums as well. I can delete that if necessary. I didn't notice the PC sub forum until after.

I want to email someone at CDPR a copy of this link to show the component usage in regard to the 'Crowd Density' setting, but I'm not sure what email address I should use. I've never seen a game setting hit my CPU so hard that it causes my GPU to bottleneck(limit usage) this much. It's a 30FPS difference in some spots. I'm not sure if this is intended, especially since the default setting was 'High'. I feel the setting itself should also be moved to the 'Graphics' tab and that the setting should be set to 'Medium' as the default. I've noticed a couple weird physics issues as well when I would hit over 100 FPS. Should I just contact tech support and give them the link?

I7 9700k & 2080TI @ 1440p

Edited title to make it a bit shorter but retain meaning.

Why are you guys so controlling on these forums? Sorry to bring it up but it just seems way too pushy. It's fine that you deleted my other thread but was edting the title really necessary?

"VIDEO SHOWING THE 'CROWD DENSITY' SETTING IS A HUGE HIT ON CPU USAGE. YOUTUBE LINK WITH RTSS OVERLAY INCLUDED."

What was wrong with that title? You had time to "correct" this post immediately but you didn't even give me an email address. I edited the title to show that I included a video. Sorry for the mass editing. I had font issues.

Last edited:
NPCs density hitting the CPU is absolutely normal, they are CPU bound in every game.

Can you name another game with a similar setting that affects FPS this much? I can't.
*We are talking 30+ FPS from 'Low' to 'High'. That's huge.
*Plus we are talking about NPC's that have no AI. I'm wondering if there is an unseen problem here.

"VIDEO SHOWING THE 'CROWD DENSITY' SETTING IS A HUGE HIT ON CPU USAGE. YOUTUBE LINK WITH RTSS OVERLAY INCLUDED."
It was unnecessarily super long and made Hot Topics look messy. The current one is still on one line, so no issue. In the future, if you have an issue with a moderating action, please take it to PMs.

It was unnecessarily super long and made Hot Topics look messy. The current one is still on one line, so no issue. In the future, if you have an issue with a moderating action, please take it to PMs.
I definitely will in the future. It's just odd because I see multiple post with longer titles.

*If it's an issue I suggest putting a character limit in place. Happy New Year!

I definitely will in the future. It's just odd because I see multiple post with longer titles.
I edit them when I notice them if they can be shortened without losing significant meaning. I think the all caps + the length is what drew my eye specifically to this one.

I edit them when I notice them if they can be shortened without losing significant meaning. I think the all caps + the length is what drew my eye specifically to this one.
Sorry about that. As you can see from my edits I was trying to fix it. It was a copy paste issue. No worries, bud :)

I've been keeping it to medium and it seems to fit best. There's a silly amount of people in some places with setting on high. Plus more frames is always welcome.

A totally new game, totally top tier, and you are suprised on high settings it might be taxing.. hell, that's a GOOD thing.. now, if it's good enough (optimisation) is of course a different matter. Given delays, there is no doubt their engine caused them a lot of side-alleys they had to give up on but this is no more than the usual gonks who use windows at leas bang on about.

Like crysis, "oh it was so demanding", but in fact it just had a bottleneck as such on a specific resolution, so no matter how much you pumped at it , it had nominal gains. Anyway, great game that, as this one. Cyberpunk 2 will for sure be smoother ,)

A totally new game, totally top tier, and you are suprised on high settings it might be taxing.. hell, that's a GOOD thing.. now, if it's good enough (optimisation) is of course a different matter. Given delays, there is no doubt their engine caused them a lot of side-alleys they had to give up on but this is no more than the usual gonks who use windows at leas bang on about.

Like crysis, "oh it was so demanding", but in fact it just had a bottleneck as such on a specific resolution, so no matter how much you pumped at it , it had nominal gains. Anyway, great game that, as this one. Cyberpunk 2 will for sure be smoother ,)

That's the question. Is this setting working as intended? Is it an optimization issue? In regards to Crysis that game was just horribly optimized. Graphically there was nothing special about it. There was just too much unoptimized foliage everywhere.

*Sadly this game has a issue with physics similar to but not as bad as Skyrim when above 60 FPS. From what I know that's an engine issue that can not be fixed. It's why objects randomly move around. If I remember correctly it had something to do with the physics being tied to the FPS which is not a good thing from what I've been told. It's a solid game but I'm waiting for a couple patches before I dive back into it. Combat feels clunky as well.

Last edited:
Can you name another game with a similar setting that affects FPS this much? I can't.
*We are talking 30+ FPS from 'Low' to 'High'. That's huge.
*Plus we are talking about NPC's that have no AI. I'm wondering if there is an unseen problem here.

This setting has 0 influence on my FPS. But I am playing on 4k and I am GPU bound at 4k.
The lower the resolution you are playing, the higher FPS loss you will see with this setting, because on lower resolutions you start getting CPU bound.

Same with me im on a lower end CPU and it hits my CPU hard, but i expected it honestly, every game is like that. Next CPU i buy i wont skimp out on and ill make sure its high end and will last me a long time

Q: What top tier? :)))
The game is taxing for no reason on low settings at 1080p on low density population. On my system it runs at 1080p low, low density with 17-20 FPS.(And thats with ConfigOverhaulCyberpunk set to Very Low. )
Crysis 3(2013) looks better then this joke of a game(blurry, hazy, grainy) without ray tracing.

Last edited:
As far as I am aware, the game (CP 2077) uses two types of rendering for objects, both CPU and GPU based. GPU rendering up close and CPU rendering for objects further away. This is the same thing Horizon Zero Dawn does, shuffling between rendering types to maintain stable frame rates and fidelity at different distances to the camera.

On top of this the game also has PhysX. If you do not have an Nvidia card, it has to be run on the CPU and will increase demand on the core over and above that of an Nvidia card user.

So compared to most games CP2077 has more demands on CPU's and GPU's combined. It is of course still heavily GPU dependent and very demanding. But it explains some of the higher usage that people are seeing. The rest is down to bad code, and poor optimization causing extra demands that are unwanted.

As far as I am aware, the game (CP 2077) uses two types of rendering for objects, both CPU and GPU based. GPU rendering up close and CPU rendering for objects further away. This is the same thing Horizon Zero Dawn does, shuffling between rendering types to maintain stable frame rates and fidelity at different distances to the camera.

On top of this the game also has PhysX. If you do not have an Nvidia card, it has to be run on the CPU and will increase demand on the core over and above that of an Nvidia card user.

So compared to most games CP2077 has more demands on CPU's and GPU's combined. It is of course still heavily GPU dependent and very demanding. But it explains some of the higher usage that people are seeing. The rest is down to bad code, and poor optimization causing extra demands that are unwanted.
The game run bad on GTX 1060 6GB too. Replaced it with RX 580.
Common the game does not look that demanding graphically compared with Crysis 3, RDR 2, HZD, Metro Exodus. Look worse in my opinion. The games run for me significantly better on higher settings and higher resolution.
Plus on low density population and ConfigOverhaulCyberpunk on very low the city is basically empty.
Yet the game runs like sh*t on 1080p low 17-20 FPS.

Maybe they were payed by Ngreedia to not optimize very well the game, make the game look bad(bad SSR, forced TAA) except for RTX cards with Ray tracing and DLSS to boost sales.

The Rx580 is crap for cp2077.

I know because I have one. Also the current drivers are broken and do not increase the cards clock speed when you start the game. I had to manually set it.

Top Bottom