Cyberpunk Soundtrack

+
Ah, Devo… Sadly an afterthought of my 80’s themed retro playlists. Kraftwerk, Joy Division, New Order, Romeo Void, etc. always make the list. Not sure why I don’t have more of an appreciation for them, considering I’m a child of the 80’s. Bizarre…

On the subject of New Wave and post-punk, I was thinking last night if CD Projekt Red wanted to capture the ‘touch and feel’ of that neo-noir Cyberpunk era the majority of us old edgerunners are familiar with, and lived through, maybe they should study, and I know this might sound a little cornball to the script kiddies and weefle runners on the forums, old episodes of Miami Vice?

No, Miami Vice isn’t necessarily something you’d reference when describing the cyberpunk sub-genre but they did feature various artists from the emerging new wave culture (i.e. Depeche Mode, Underworld, etc.) and owed a majority of its success from the attraction of the MTV demographic, who they successfully targeted. Also, Jan Hammer’s synthesized instrumentals helped tie all the scenes together, IMO.

Damn, MTV… Anyone else miss Headbangers Ball? :’(

Anyways… I know it may seem a little ‘out there’ to some but I’m thinking the individuals from my generation may get what I’m driving at. The 80’s and CP 2020 were all about style over substance, attitude is everything, always taking it to the edge, and breaking the rules.

The 90’s? Well, not so much because of the grunge music scene but I won’t get into that right now…

At any rate, if you infuse that principle w/ 90’s house & techno, and modern dubstep, EDM, etc. you’d definitely bridge some generational gaps and have one Hell of a kick-ass soundtrack.

But yeah, just let me know if I’m talking out my @$$ and I’ll do my best to stop the synaptic misfire(s) ; P

John Carpenter - Lost Themes Remixed

[bandcamp]1906000286[/bandcamp]

John Carpenter - Classic Themes Redux EP

[bandcamp]3920787680[/bandcamp]

Last edited:
Don't know if this would fit exactly(the lyrics certainly would) but it sure does go through my head when walking around a city in the middle of the night lol

Last edited:
Cliff Martinez - The Neon Demon OST (Selected Tracks)

New track, specially made for C77.

When playing this, imagine an organised gang of Solos (I know, crazy right?) attacking a hotel/cafeteria that works as a front for the great mob boss of the West City. The gang has to work its way from the bottom floor (cafeteria), up to the penthouse where the boss lives. They will face all kinds of defenses, from remote turrets to cybered heavies. Let the hunt begin.

Step 1(0:00): Assess the dangers. Go incognito and see their lower defenses. Mark the guard positions.
Step 2(1:00): Divert their attention. Send the most cybered-up Solo to attack in the middle of the cafeteria.
Step 3(1:19): Start the attack from the outside, every Solo takes a window and shoots using a Shotgun.
Caution 1(1:48): The first heavy appears! He needs more than a single shotgun to take down. Use grenades!
Step 4(2:23): Break the electronic door leading to the floors upstairs.
Step 5(2:39): Start going up the stairs, there are 27 floors to cover.
Caution 2(2:39): The mob boss already knows you are here. He starts to take precautions.
Caution 3(3:07): He barricades his penthouse door and places all his guards behind it. The guards hold automatic rifles.
Step 6(3:29): Plant explosives on the penthouse door.
--------(3:45): The guards wait, they are getting ready. There is silence.

Step 7(4:01): All hell breaks loose. Don't leave anyone standing.
Caution 4(4:25): A second heavy appears, this guy is huge! He breaks the team apart one by one!
Step 8(4:37): Time to use our augmentations, it's time for... bad blood. Eyes grow black and we lose our selves to the nirvana of the killing spree.

Last Step(4:56): Put a bullet in the mob boss. Gaze upon the city in the debris of the penthouse, the breeze feels nice. Another day in the office.

Last edited:
Juan Atkins & Moritz von Oswald present Borderland - Transport

Juan Atkins & Moritz von Oswald present Borderland - Transport

Juan Atkins & Moritz von Oswald present Borderland - Lightyears

Juan Atkins & Moritz von Oswald present Borderland - Odyssey

Juan Atkins & Moritz von Oswald present Borderland - Riod

Juan Atkins & Moritz von Oswald present Borderland - Merkur

Juan Atkins & Moritz von Oswald present Borderland - 2600

Juan Atkins & Moritz von Oswald present Borderland - Zeolites

music that would fit most i would say is synthwave artists like occams laser, droid bishop, dynatron, perturbator, miami nights 1984, vogel etc etc

Also IDM wouldn't sound amiss in maybe apartment/nightclub/radios playing like aphex twin, squarepusher, venetian snares, amon tobin etc

Huge thread so that has all probably already been said xD

Ulver's great, especially if you don't mind inconsistency and radical changes in sound and style, often in the same track or on the same album, like Perdition City.
Hard to believe these guys started out as a trve norsk Black Metal horde before deciding that experimental Avantgarde Electronica is way more "krieg".

Couple bits and pieces from Kangding Ray:

Kangding Ray - Acto

Kangding Ray - History of Obscurity

Kangding Ray - Anthem

Kangding Ray - Mojave

Kangding Ray - Mirrors

Kangding Ray - Coracoid Process

Kangding Ray - Automne Fold

Kangding Ray - Pruitt Igoe (Rise)

Kangding Ray - Pruitt Igoe (Fall)

Kangding Ray - Cercle

Kangding Ray - Ezerb Altren