Cyberpunk 2077 don't start since 2.1 version

+
Hello.

Since the new version off Cyberpunl 2077, this one stop the start after the logo "Cyberpunk 2077". I didn't have this problem with the 2.02 version.
I use Windows 11 / 23H2 on hardware AMD Threadripper X3970, graphique card 4090 and 96Go of memory.
The Nvidia driver is the last and I cleaned the windows registers (Used DDU) before install new driver.
Do you have any idea?

Best regards

So, first thing, like @LeKill3rFou asked, did you use mods prior? If yes, make sure they're all updated to the new version. If even a single one isn't, then go read the comments and see if the author can confirm no update is necessary. If you can't find that kind of information, it's very likely that this/these mod(s) is causing issues.

If you've never used mods, go here and only remove these two folders:
  • REDEngine folder from here %userprofile%\AppData\Local\
  • CD Projekt Red folder from here: %userprofile%\AppData\Local
Then verify your file integrity. I'm fairly confident this should fix your issue. If not, go through the whole process of a clean install as described on that link. That really should do it.

Good morning.
I have never installed a Mod on this game. I always use the basic version.

I have already tried this manipulation : remove "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\" and "%userprofile%\AppData\Local" => No change. I just reinstalled version 2.02 (Back-up before the software update 2.1). The game is now functional.
Should I conclude that there is a compatibility problem with my platform and version 2.1?

Should I conclude that there is a compatibility problem with my platform and version 2.1?
I don't think so. With your specs, the game should run like a charm, in theory :(
If you didn't try, maybe clean-install your drivers, just in case (and use Game Ready Drivers) :
NVIDIA
I. Download the latest drivers using the following link: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
II. Download Display Driver Uninstaller and run it to remove previous versions of drivers.
III. Clean install drivers that you've downloaded in step 1.
I saw that Windows 11 23H2 had several and weird issues, maybe that.
I also read that some had to update their BIOS/Drivers to fix crashes.
I fixed my CTD issues; I updated/installed the BIOS and the CPU/Motherboard's drivers

Check to see if your BIOS and your drivers are outdated by checking your motherboard's model on the manifacturer website.
Be careful as updating the BIOS and chipset incorrectly can corrupt your system: make sure you're following the instructions correctly or ask for support from your motherboard's manifacturer.

Hello.
For the graphics card drivers, the procedure has already been carried out without success. (546.29-desktop-win10-win11-64bit-international-dch-whql.exe)
For the motherboard, the bios update was done (TRX40 AORUS XTREME / BIOS F6 / UPDATE AMD AGESA 1.0.0.7 - 09/22/2022), as well as the updating of TRX40 chipsets pilots (AMD_CHIPSET_Software_5.08.02.027)
=> There are no problem with other software and game with this computer.
So, I stay with 2.02 version to finish my run and I try a second time on another computer. (Perhaps on laptop with 5600X / 3050 TI / 16Go DDR4)

Good morning.
I have never installed a Mod on this game. I always use the basic version.

I have already tried this manipulation : remove "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\" and "%userprofile%\AppData\Local" => No change. I just reinstalled version 2.02 (Back-up before the software update 2.1). The game is now functional.
Don't mess up your installation further, it is CDPR's fault.
I reinstalled the game from scratch, deleted folders, wasted a lot of time looking for answers on the internet, Nothing worked.
This patch messed quite a few other things, CDPR needs to fix them, stop messing around with your PC.
How can they mess up the very launch of the game is beyond me.........

Hello.
For the graphics card drivers, the procedure has already been carried out without success. (546.29-desktop-win10-win11-64bit-international-dch-whql.exe)
For the motherboard, the bios update was done (TRX40 AORUS XTREME / BIOS F6 / UPDATE AMD AGESA 1.0.0.7 - 09/22/2022), as well as the updating of TRX40 chipsets pilots (AMD_CHIPSET_Software_5.08.02.027)
=> There are no problem with other software and game with this computer.
So, I stay with 2.02 version to finish my run and I try a second time on another computer. (Perhaps on laptop with 5600X / 3050 TI / 16Go DDR4)

When you crash, do you generate a crashlog?

They're located here - %localappdata%\REDEngine\ReportQueue\

If you do generate one, what does it say?

There is no crash. The system stop the start cyberpunk.exe, and CPU / GPU go to use 0%. I need stop the cyberpunk.exe software to returne on windows 11 (Ctrl/Alt/sup)
So, no report generat by the software to analyse the problem...
With 2.1 version, cyberpunk2077.exe use only 2.9Gbytes of memory but don't start. (CPU = 0% (32theads/no SMT) and GPU = 0%)
With 2.02 version, cyberpunk2077.exe use 6.3Gbytes of memory and start. (CPU = 12.33% (32theads/no SMT) and GPU = 95% QHD / psycho / DLSS3.5)

There is no crash. The system stop the start cyberpunk.exe, and CPU / GPU go to use 0%. I need stop the cyberpunk.exe software to returne on windows 11 (Ctrl/Alt/sup)
So, no report generat by the software to analyse the problem...
With 2.1 version, cyberpunk2077.exe use only 2.9Gbytes of memory but don't start. (CPU = 0% (32theads/no SMT) and GPU = 0%)
With 2.02 version, cyberpunk2077.exe use 6.3Gbytes of memory and start. (CPU = 12.33% (32theads/no SMT) and GPU = 95% QHD / psycho / DLSS3.5)
My event viewer is full with messages about the launcher crashing, there is a crash, the launcher, but my game still starts, it hangs in the air for a while then the intro screens begin.

Hello all !

I found an Medion Crawler E25 to install Cybepunk2077 2.1 version.
This computer use Windows 11 23H2 version, an 3050TI video card with lastest Nvidia driver (546.29) and a 5600H CPU with AMD chipset driver 5.08.02.027.
This laptop use 32Gybtes memory of DDR4 / 3200Mhz / CL22.
This on will have the sames softwares that my first computer (X3970 / 4090) and I will see if this Cyberpunk version start!
So, my internet download is very slow (150Kbytes/s, thanks for CDP for a new cyberpunk version of 40 Gbytes), I will have the resulta the next week.
Maybe Cyberpunk doesn't like old Threadrippers (I'm waiting for a test on an X399 / X2950 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 CL16 / 3080 platform) or too many logical cores?

Last edited:
Please perform a clean installation of the game. Carefully follow all the steps below:
  1. Backup your save files. If possible, transfer them to a different hard drive or an external device (for example, SD card)
    Saves are located here: %userprofile%\Saved Games\CD Projekt Red\Cyberpunk 2077\
  2. Disable Steam Cloud for Cyberpunk 2077
  3. Uninstall Cyberpunk 2077
  4. Go to your Steam directory and see if there is a Cyberpunk 2077 folder, if so, remove it.
  5. Remove the following folders:
    • Cyberpunk 2077 folder from here: %userprofile%\Saved Games\CD Projekt Red\
    • REDEngine and CD Projekt Red folders from here: %userprofile%\AppData\Local\
      • If you can't see the folder in Windows Explorer window then select:
        • on Windows 10: View → Hidden items
        • on Windows 11: View → Show → Hidden items
  6. Restart your PC
  7. Install Cyberpunk 2077 again on an SSD - Do not install any mods!
    Note:
    If you are installing the game on the same partition as you have the Operating System installed, to ensure that the game won't be blocked by Windows permissions settings, make sure to install it on the drive root and not nested in some folders. Example path after installation: C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Cyberpunk 2077
  8. Launch the game and see if it works
  9. If it's fixed, copy your save files to the newly created Cyberpunk 2077 folder in the location from step #1
  10. Re-enable Steam Cloud if you want

Maybe this will help someone. it came from CDPR after a ticket about launcher issues. Good luck. I am going through the process right now, will post back if it works.

Later edit: this did nothing for me even though I followed the steps exactly as described in there.....

Last edited:
Good morning
I have never installed any Mods.
I didn't buy this game on Steam platform.
I bought this on GoG platform, and I realize the same process with Gog launcher and...no change.
=> For information, when I reinstall version 2.02 (Same directory, same files, same saves, same windows version, same Nvidia driver, etc...) , the game works perfectly. (Without mods)
Alls others games works parfectly (Starfield / Plague tale requiem / Portal with RTX / etc...) and benchmarks as 3DMARK Advance edition (Time spy extreme / port royal / Solar bay / Nvidia DLSS feature test / DirectX Raytracing feature test) works whitout crash or lock-up for several hours.

Good morning
I have never installed any Mods.
I didn't buy this game on Steam platform.
I bought this on GoG platform, and I realize the same process with Gog launcher and...no change.
=> For information, when I reinstall version 2.02 (Same directory, same files, same saves, same windows version, same Nvidia driver, etc...) , the game works perfectly. (Without mods)
Alls others games works parfectly (Starfield / Plague tale requiem / Portal with RTX / etc...) and benchmarks as 3DMARK Advance edition (Time spy extreme / port royal / Solar bay / Nvidia DLSS feature test / DirectX Raytracing feature test) works whitout crash or lock-up for several hours.
It's the update, don't start playing with the PC like I did, save yourself some time and wait for the inevitable patch that will fix it.....

Hello everyone.
Ok, after a lot of tests, the cyberpunk 2.1 version works on all available computers (X3970, X2950 and 5600H)
*** The conclusion is that there is a problem with the 40Gbytes update from 2.02 to 2.1. ***
Each computer was in version 2.02 and were updated to 2.1
=> No computer was able to start Cyberpunk 2.1.
Complete deletion of the Cyberpunk games directory (around 88Gbytes), then complete new installation of the games.
The game is now perfectly functional in version 2.1....
=> No need to delete the backup or configuration directory, it is the complete replacement of the games which gives the good result.

Hello everyone.
Ok, after a lot of tests, the cyberpunk 2.1 version works on all available computers (X3970, X2950 and 5600H)
*** The conclusion is that there is a problem with the 40Gbytes update from 2.02 to 2.1. ***
Each computer was in version 2.02 and were updated to 2.1
=> No computer was able to start Cyberpunk 2.1.
Complete deletion of the Cyberpunk games directory (around 88Gbytes), then complete new installation of the games.
The game is now perfectly functional in version 2.1....
=> No need to delete the backup or configuration directory, it is the complete replacement of the games which gives the good result.
Weird, I guess a lot of people simply updated the game from 2.02 to 2.1 without issue. But if it work now, that's the most important ;)
I could suggest you to send a ticket to CPDR just in case ("contact us" button). Better to add as much details/infos as possible and the link of the thread too.

So i hade issue for the first time starting this game after a complete new install without any mods, the game would crash at Cyberpunk logo at the start with IRQ errors and unhandeled exceptions. I was very confused but it got worse, i noticed alot of DX12 games would not launch all of a sudden(some even reboted my pc). After alot of swearing and seaching for the error i tested lowering the speed of my ram and changed a svid behaviour in the bios and everything started working. Somehow my cpu was unstable due to power usage or something and started throwing out errors. i managed to up to my ram to 7200mhz again and it still works so a setting that i have used for ages just stopped working all of a sudden. It might be a driver issue or it might have been on edge before i have no clue. intel has been updating stuff for the 14xxx series on my board to so might be something there but im just saying, dont discound ANYTHING if you run into these kinds of issues.

Top Bottom