Cyberpunk deserves a movie really bad

+
I actually prefer Innocence myself, although they're all real good, as well as SAC. My least favourite is (as I figure is the case with many) the live action movie from a few years back. I don't despise it and I'm willing to accept it as "a unique tale told in a copy of the same universe" (IE: Not existing in the same canon as other work).

What I dislike about the live action GitS is that it dumbed too many concepts down and explicitly explained things to the watcher. "I'm going to use 'mind-comms'" and referring to the tank as a "Spider Tank". The beauty of the 1995 movie, as well as Innocence is that "Things which the characters take for granted" are not explained directly to the audience. The audience were left to infer them and figure it out themselves. That cheapened the fictional universe for me and sucked out a lot of the flavour and style, which is what made the earlier GitS movies (I've never read the manga, so I dunno about those).
i hated the live-action film, Scarlett Johansson as Motoko was the crown and king of all miscasts in my opinion, they should have chosen a Japanese actress. I'm starting to read the original manga, it's quite good, so far I'd rate it as high as the 95 film. The Arise show from later years looks fine but I don't particularly like Motoko's character redesign, but I'd give it a shot nevertheless unlike that hideous looking SAC 2045 show, which I think I'll be ignoring.

So, I'd recommend to anyone interested in the Cyberpunk genre both the comics (there's a comic adaptation of the 2002 Stand Alone Complex show too) and films/animated shows of GITS, specially the 1995 film. But NOT the 2017 live-action movie, nor the SAC 2045 CGI show.

Last edited:
i hated the live-action film, Scarlett Johansson as Motoko was the crown and king of all miscasts in my opinion, they should have chosen a Japanese actress. I'm starting to read the original manga, it's quite good, so far I'd rate it as high as the 95 film. The Arise show from later years looks fine but I don't particularly like Motoko's character redesign, but I'd give it a shot nevertheless unlike that hideous looking SAC 2045 show, which I think I'll be ignoring.

So, I'd recommend to anyone interested in the Cyberpunk genre both the comics (there's a comic adaption of the 2002 Stand Alone Complex show too) and films/animated shows of GITS, specially the 1995 film. But NOT the 2017 live-action movie, nor the SAC 2045 CGI show.
I liked Arise. "The New Movie" (same era as Arise) freaked me out though, mainly because the English-language voice actress for Kurutsu was
Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, who is the same lady to voice Motoko in the earlier movies and SAC. Combined with Motoko's visual redesign in Arise/The New Movie, hearing "her voice" come from a different character was extremely unsettling lol.

I've not tried SAC2045 yet, it's on my to-watch list though. I've not heard anything positive/negative about it before now though. I'll not get my hopes up then.

If they could produce an Edgerunners quality movie, I'd probably pay to see it in IMAX. I feel like that would be hard though, would need a crazy budget at least...

Top Bottom