Dear Devs: Please don't take the RPG out of Cyberpunk 2077, don't make it only an Action-Adventure, but more importantly: talk to us, please.

+

Which would you prefer?

• Full-blown RPG

• Action Adventure

• Any old mix thereof

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree entirely. RPG stands for Role Playing Game. If you're assigned a character and can't PICK a role, it's not an RPG.

I'm not sure I fully understand what you're saying here. I'm not disagreeing with you about anything, I'm just seeking clarity.

You can customise your pc a great deal apparently. There will be choices to be made that allow you to roleplay V's attitude, morals, etc,. Many of these decisions will have an effect on story and mission/character outcomes.

You can choose whatever combination of skills you desire, in order to roleplay how your character deals with the situations they find themselves in and play the way you feel they would.

You can roleplay being good, bad, greedy, sneaky, traitorous, loyal etc,.

So, I'm not sure which freedoms you feel are still lacking? Pnp RPGs offer complete(ish) freedom because you have a human GM and the imagination is the only limit. So I'm not sure what it is you're hoping for from a computer program? Perhaps you could give me an example of a video game RPG that fulfilled your desires?

Because even games like Baldur's Gate force a specific narrative and main storyline missions on you.

Last edited:
As for simulations, any computer generated virtual environment is a simulation. All video games are simulations

False.

A simulation implies the imitation of something, the computer reproduction of a process, at times for the purpose of study.

There are video games that take that and make it their focus. They're known as Sims. Flight sims, Race sims, The Sims, there's even an MMO in the works called Second Life that simulates life in an virtual environment. Pretty far off from your average RPG..

I get what you're asking. But it's not what RPG's have been known to be about, ever.

Oh and you do get to choose a role, it's just less cut and dry than with many other RPG's.

Imo, the name change is a marketing stunt. People don't know what an RPG is. But everyone understands 'action adventure'

Last edited:
False.

A simulation implies the imitation of something, the computer reproduction of a process, at times for the purpose of study.

There are video games that take that and make it their focus. They're known as Sims. Flight sims, Race sims, The Sims, there's even an MMO in the works called Second Life that simulates life in an virtual environment. Pretty far off from your average RPG..

I get what you're asking. But it's not what RPG's have been known to be about, ever.

Oh and you do get to choose a role, it's just less cut and dry than with many other RPG's.

Imo, the name change is a marketing stunt. People don't know what an RPG is. But everyone understands 'action adventure'

Now you're just proving my point. We have no UNIVERSAL definition for these words. So, we each think of something different when we hear "RPG" or "simulation".

Like most terms related to abstracts, I guess. We all know definitively what "red" or "oxygen" means. But ask someone what "consciousness" is and you'll get a thousand different answers.

Exactly. The game will still be as much of an RPG as it ever was going to be (whether it's 'RPG enough' for you is entirely subjective), but this will make it easier to entice the average gamer that's simply going to walk into a store and see what's new. And like it or not, there's a lot more of them than us.

Now you're just proving my point. We have no UNIVERSAL definition for these words. So, we each think of something different when we hear "RPG" or "simulation".

But, with respect, if you yourself say there is no universal definition for RPG, then why are you saying that:

"RPG stands for Role Playing Game. If you're assigned a character and can't PICK a role, it's not an RPG."

Like I said, a video game example of what you consider to be a RPG by your standards would really help this discussion.

I'm not sure I fully understand what you're saying here. I'm not disagreeing with you about anything, I'm just seeking clarity.

You can customise your pc a great deal apparently. There will be choices to be made that allow you to roleplay V's attitude, morals, etc,. Many of these decisions will have an effect on story and mission/character outcomes.

You can choose whatever combination of skills you desire, in order to roleplay how your character deals with the situations they find themselves in and play the way you feel they would.

You can roleplay being good, bad, greedy, sneaky, traitorous, loyal etc,.

So, I'm not sure which freedoms you feel are still lacking? Pnp RPGs offer complete(ish) freedom because you have a human GM and the imagination is the only limit. So I'm not sure what it is you're hoping for from a computer program? Perhaps you could give me an example of a video game RPG that fulfilled your desires?

Because even games like Baldur's Gate force a specific narrative and main storyline missions on you.

In Skyrim you can role-play being a Thief, assassin, vampire, werewolf, mage, farmer, miner, thane, just about anything you can imagine you can play out. Actual "roles". I agree though as I said above. There is no universal standard for RPG, mostly because every company selling a game where the character makes choices wants to call the game an RPG.

What I'm saying is that pre 2015 we heard a lot about roles and classes. Corpo, rockerboy, solo, netrunner. These went away with the fluid class system. BAM. You're a merc. No choice about it. You can approach missions differently, but that's it.

Personally, I loved Witcher 3. And I expect to love Cyberpunk even more. I don't think I'll be disappointed, I just hate the feeling I get in MOST open world games when the missions are over and all that's left is a big empty map with nothing to do.
This game doesn't feel like it has a lot outside of the story. And all I'm hearing from the mods here are "get over it, it's not that kind of game."

And here's my question: Why shouldn't it be? Why is it with open world games once the story's over the only way to keep active in the world is by starting a new game? I want a company to make a game last beyond the story.

But, with respect, if you yourself say there is no universal definition for RPG, then why are you saying that:

"RPG stands for Role Playing Game. If you're assigned a character and can't PICK a role, it's not an RPG."

Like I said, a video game example of what you consider to be a RPG by your standards would really help this discussion.

I corrected myself in subsequent posts. I'm not your enemy. I'm not shitting on Cyberpunk. I'm just as big a fan. I'm just trying to talk to like minded individuals about their opinions of the game, not start a war over the definition of RPG.

Don't get so hung up on labels, or even official statements.
If anyone has concerns, they can simply wait a couple days after release and then check out playthrough videos on youtube.

In Skyrim you can role-play being a Thief, assassin, vampire, werewolf, mage, farmer, miner, thane, just about anything you can imagine you can play out. Actual "roles".

Ok, thanks for replying. I don't see you as an 'enemy' and I'm not at all irritated by your sentiments about this. I was just wondering what you felt was lacking and what your ideal RPG is and I'm grateful you replied.

So you were hoping for something more like Skyrim?

I really enjoyed it but the only difference between characters I roleplayed were my moral choices, skills, social standing and race. I think CP will have those first two things (the most important ones to me) covered, although obviously we will always be human and we're not going to be a CEO or rockstar so you're right about us being locked in as a merc.

Having said that, I never really felt the game was much different whether I was an assassin, warrior or mage, except in terms of mechanics, something CP has covered. You're still the Dragonborn and you still have the same quest line. I get where you're coming from though.

Corpo, rockerboy, solo, netrunner. These went away with the fluid class system. BAM. You're a merc. No choice about it. You can approach missions differently, but that's it.

Thing is, you were only a Thief or Mage in Skyrim because you chose to play like one and used appropriate skills. Skyrim used a fluid skill system too, didn't it? So it should be the same to a large degree with CP. I think the only difference, from my experience, was that I joined a guild with an extra separate set of quests. That was a nice touch though :)

I just hate the feeling I get in MOST open world games when the missions are over and all that's left is a big empty map with nothing to do. This game doesn't feel like it has a lot outside of the story.

Yeah, it's that sad feeling you get that's similar to finishing a really good book. Having said that, I'm not sure how much longevity other games give. I mean, even Skyrim runs out of quests and places to see eventually.

If you're talking about sidequests and mini-stories to go alongside the main storyline, I've read a few things that make it seem like CP will have those too. I mean, I'm expecting a 30+ hours main questline and another 50+ sidequests so there has to be a lot more than the story.

Why is it with open world games once the story's over the only way to keep active in the world is by starting a new game? I want a company to make a game last beyond the story.

Wouldn't we all? ;) However, with what might well be 100 hours of gameplay, a variety of playstyles and different choices, it will almost certainly be worth playing through more than once. I think they'll be way more content and hours to enjoy than in the vast majority of other games. I'd also be surprised if there wasn't an epilogue and that you couldn't continue playing to look for all the quests you missed after the main story is finished.

Yeah, it's that sad feeling you get that's similar to finishing a really good book.

100% this.

Once i finished The Witcher 3 i felt it.. that emptiness you feel every time something that gripped you ends. A good book, a good tv show, a game.. funny... The Witcher 3 was the first time i felt it in regards to a video-game and among my all time favorites are games like KotOR and VtmB. Not sure what it was, but seeing the world "empty" of the characters i came to care about felt depressing. And i couldn't stop thinking about it. It bothered me sooo much, more than any other open world game i played, and for something apparently so trivial. I didn't want the main characters to be there and keep sending me on missions or accompany me around, i just wanted them there, because, without them, what was the point of it all? Funny right? Pretty much a testament to their success if they manage to evoke that kind of emotion from the average player.

Once i finished The Witcher 3 i felt it.. that emptiness you feel every time something that gripped you ends.... The Witcher 3 was the first time i felt it in regards to a video-game and among my all time favorites are games like KotOR and VtmB

Yeah, I got that too :)

I ended up playing for another 15 hours or so, just because I couldn't let go, heh. I collected Witcher Gear I didn't need, got all the barrels from Skellige, switched the map markers back on to find every last point of interest.....just generally wandered about like a melancholy, love-sick fool.

Like you said, a testament to how they made a game that really enchants and pulls you in.

CDPR seems to be very pleased with both the reception of the game to date and the preorders. I think they said it's already eclipsed Witcher 3?

All is going well from their end.

If your definition of an RPG doesn't match theirs, well, they have to make their game.

They might communicate more, but don't expect a lot on this front. They want people to have surprises when they play.

If you aren't sure, just wait for reviews to come out.
I would be shocked if preorders don't exceed TW3 preorders. I'll be mildly surprised if lifetime sales exceed TW3 sales.

As to changes the OP is concerned about, we're 10 months out. There will be no big changes. Maybe a quest here or there, maybe some tweaking of systems, but the systems in place now are the systems that we'll have. No point in asking, demanding, begging, or whatever. It's not going to have an impact.

What I'm saying is that pre 2015 we heard a lot about roles and classes. Corpo, rockerboy, solo, netrunner. These went away with the fluid class system. BAM. You're a merc. No choice about it. You can approach missions differently, but that's it.

I don't remember then ever say you could be those things. It was only ever three roles they talked about - solo, netrunner and techie. That still remains, except now you can mix and match from all three roles to build the style of character you want.

Sneaky, shooter, hacker, melee, augment heavy, augment light and a range of other choices by the sounds of it.

I don't remember then ever say you could be those things. It was only ever three roles they talked about - solo, netrunner and techie.

It depends on how used you are to politician way of talking, such as saying:"no taxes raise" => (raise of duties)
That time it was "Yes, you can. They’re (the roles) all going to be there" => (as NPCs...)

I swear they did a similar PR thing with TW3 which had people up in arms about whether it would a be an RPG or not. Personally, I ain't buying it this time. This will be an RPG, with all the RPG trappings.

I swear they did a similar PR thing with TW3 which had people up in arms about whether it would a be an RPG or not. Personally, I ain't buying it this time. This will be an RPG, with all the RPG trappings.

That's just what they -want- you to think.

At least they tried though, so I think cyberpunk 2 or 3 will get us closer to the dream more and more. What makes this company the best one imo isn't the independent quality of their games, but rather that each time you can tell they never settle and try to improve everything.

This isn't our last opportunity to get the dream cyberpunk game, but also it isn't the best one, its the worst one actually, the first attempt.
Amen bro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom