depression because Jackie [possible spoilers]

+
hello everyone, I can't keep all these thoughts to myself anymore, so I'll write them here...
some time ago I went through Cyberpunk, I really liked the game, however, at the time of Jackie's death it turned out to be very traumatic for me...
Jackie, although he wasn't alive for so long, became like a real friend for me (perhaps because he reminds me of one of my own characters ...), he pleased and amused me, and when he died, my mental state went downhill.
I had the last depression a year ago, and now again. Every day I am depressed, I don't want to do anything, I feel empty that I have lost an important part of my life... you see, I don't have any friends in my life, so Jackie really was my friend...
I dream about him very often, I dream that I find a way to save him, that he doesn't need to die, but all these are dreams...
I just want to share it with you. please don't think I'm crazy...

My best friend Donald was killed because I was honest with him

His wife was cheating and I told him about it. Donald went to confront the guy and caught a 12 gauge to the chest. It still haunts me

I felt nothing for Jackie. I understand the game wanted me too but you don't spend much time to actually develop a friendship with Jackie

Your issues sound like they run deeper than Jackie and you should talk to a therapist about it

I don't know how old you are, but if you're in school then join some after school club and meet people and get real friends. If you're over 18 there are so many things you can do to meet people, even online.

Your problems go further than being upset with a video game character dying.

Your issues sound like they run deeper than Jackie and you should talk to a therapist about it

This.

I don't think Jackie's death is the source of your current state but just a catalyst for it. Go seek help. Go see a mental health professional. There is absolutely no shame in that. Their role isn't to simply help you through depression but also to help you overcome the things that brought you to this point.

Don't let the perceived stigma or pride get in the way of you getting better. The sooner, the better.

This.

I don't think Jackie's death is the source of your current state but just a catalyst for it. Go seek help. Go see a mental health professional. There is absolutely no shame in that. Their role isn't to simply help you through depression but also to help you overcome the things that brought you to this point.

Don't let the perceived stigma or pride get in the way of you getting better. The sooner, the better.
thank you so much, ill try
Post automatically merged:

I don't know how old you are, but if you're in school then join some after school club and meet people and get real friends. If you're over 18 there are so many things you can do to meet people, even online.

Your problems go further than being upset with a video game character dying.
I know I tried to find friends on the Internet, but I'm not very good at it, aha
But I'll try harder... I really should go to a psychologist.. thank you very much for your words
Post automatically merged:

My best friend Donald was killed because I was honest with him

His wife was cheating and I told him about it. Donald went to confront the guy and caught a 12 gauge to the chest. It still haunts me

I felt nothing for Jackie. I understand the game wanted me too but you don't spend much time to actually develop a friendship with Jackie

Oh my God, I really feel for you in your situation, I hope you're okay... and if it's not okay, then I hope that everything will be fine soon
thank you so much for your support

Well, there is something called empathy that can connect people with fictional characters, and at some point, the brain doesn't make a difference.
A lot of people can feel depressed when a real person they know dies, strangely enough, a fictional death can have a similar effect ( even if you have friends ).

This may help you a little bit:

As people advised in the previous comments, the best thing is to visit a therapist.

I know I tried to find friends on the Internet, but I'm not very good at it, aha
But I'll try harder... I really should go to a psychologist.. thank you very much for your words
You really should check a psychologist first and find means to form connections in real life.

Online thing, I think that might work the best if you can talk about things with some people in real life. Perhaps find some sort of peer support group IRL too. Online things, the problem is that people can be anyone, do and say anything. IRL people work for someone and so are easily accountable of their actions. In most countries I think people who don't have a proper training cannot work as psychologists.

Online might work as auxiliary to other IRL support, so the most important thing you can do now, is to find that IRL support. My best wishes for you!

hello everyone, I can't keep all these thoughts to myself anymore, so I'll write them here...
some time ago I went through Cyberpunk, I really liked the game, however, at the time of Jackie's death it turned out to be very traumatic for me...
Jackie, although he wasn't alive for so long, became like a real friend for me (perhaps because he reminds me of one of my own characters ...), he pleased and amused me, and when he died, my mental state went downhill.
I had the last depression a year ago, and now again. Every day I am depressed, I don't want to do anything, I feel empty that I have lost an important part of my life... you see, I don't have any friends in my life, so Jackie really was my friend...
I dream about him very often, I dream that I find a way to save him, that he doesn't need to die, but all these are dreams...
I don’t really want to study, it all seems uninteresting and difficult to me. The teachers don't seem to care at all. For the most problematic programs, I use https://mysupergeek.com/assignment-help-service because it allows me to prepare for exams. The game was my outlet and this plot twist depresses me now.

I understand you. At school, I had absolutely no friends, and there were no people with whom I could discuss something that seemed important to me. Most of the time I was either reading or playing games. Both cases are separate worlds into which you can immerse yourself headlong. Only in college did those who can be called friends appear. In any case, you need to talk about this with someone. Although I think even a forum is better than keeping it to yourself, but still try to do it irl

Last edited:
Some of the link below, specifically when it talks about available therapies, is specific to the UK and probably is no good for you.

But there are also some good ideas in this piece about how to deal with loneliness and isolation mentally.

There are also a few ideas on steps you could take to attempt to change things, if you would like to. Where they talk about specific websites, they may not be available in your country. But there may well be equivalents.

Solitude can be very, very hard. But it is solvable, even if you sometimes stumble along the way. The world can be full of light. Sometimes it just takes a little finding.

Last edited:
Hey,
I just want to point out an interesting cosmetic detail:

- I think that when V walks near the end of the hallway to meet Dex after the heist and stands before the door, subtle lighting happens, and stripes of white light shine through the jalousie onto the grey walls.

I find it to be an amazing touch, cinematic, terrifying, tense. It added to the atmosphere a lot for me.
It's crazy how strong emotions can digital mediums like games and films evoke.

I understand that you were able to attach yourself to the character, and create a bond of empathy, but as said above, the problem isn't really Jackie's death, but your depression. I'm depressed myself, I suffer from OCD and anxiety, and I've noticed that sometimes (often) my brain tends to focus on a detail, something from the past, an imaginary scenario, often uncontrollably and obsessively, in order to torture itself. But the root of the problem is your illness. Your brain is just looking for reasons to justify why you feel so bad.

I didn't like Jackie much but I understand how you feel. The emotions these characters can bring out in us are very real, though we just tell ourselves it's just a game. I myself miss Judy since she left. I mean I genuinely miss her, as if I've lost a person in my life.

This time of year is always hard for me. I feel very emotionally vulnerable and depressed, and although the game is great because its immersive and keeps me busy which gets me through the day, I think its probably a good idea to take a break from it and play something else. Maybe you should think about doing that.

I wish you well.

Edit. Another thing that might help is to go on youtube and find a interview with the voice actor. Its the actor and their performance that largely enabled you to make such a connection with the character. By seeing that the character isn't dead, because they were never real, by seeing the person with their voice chat happily about their involvement in the game... it might kind of break that connection and hopefully you'll feel better about it.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm still bummed about Jackie ... they killed him off way too early and there was no play-through option where he didn't die.
I would love to have some DLC where we get to play some of their adventures earlier on, before V got Cyborg John Wick stuck in his brain, or even some just of JW growing up as a street punk, before he meets V.
I get what you're saying though ... I felt pretty down when he died.
Crazy that we feel that way for a fictional character, eh?
I guess CDPR did a good job getting us invested in their reality.

Top Bottom