“Disable Copyrighted Music” feature in Phantom Liberty

+

Hey Chooms!​

Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty will feature many new music tracks created by our in-house composers and wonderful artists we collaborated with. We want to take a moment to remind you of a music-related feature dedicated to content creators and streamers, and provide a small update for this feature.​

Cyberpunk 2077 has a “Disable Copyrighted Music” toggle which disables the small portion of in-game tracks that could result in demonetization or video takedown if streamed. Be sure to turn this toggle on in the game’s settings before you start streaming or recording your Cyberpunk 2077 content.​

Switching on the “Disable Copyrighted Music” toggle guarantees no issues with monetization or copyright takedowns of video content connected with Cyberpunk 2077. With the launch of Phantom Liberty, we made one important exception regarding our approach.​

“Delicate Weapon” by Grimes, a song featured prominently in the game’s scenes and radio stations, will not be disabled even when “Disable Copyrighted Music” is toggled on. At the same time, content creators who decide to publish Cyberpunk 2077-related content featuring this song will be able to monetize that content for a limited period of two years following the launch of Phantom Liberty. In other words, if you use “Delicate Weapon” in your content connected with Cyberpunk 2077, you will be able to earn revenue from that content until September 21st, 2025, after which that content will become demonetized. If you want to avoid demonetization of your content featuring the song past that date, please make sure to manually disable or remove music from the scenes featuring this song.​

Regardless, using “Delicate Weapon” in your Cyberpunk 2077 content should not result in your content being taken down. On September 21st, 2025, the song will be automatically added to a list of music tracks muted by the “Disable Copyrighted Music” feature.​

Thank you for your understanding. We hope that you enjoy Phantom Liberty and have fun streaming and creating video content for Cyberpunk 2077.

"On September 21st, 2025, the song will be automatically added to a list of music tracks muted by the “Disable Copyrighted Music” feature."
So all mods will be borked again in 2 years?, weird decision.

The reason they've probably chosen to allow the use of the song is, and this is just a guess as I've not played it, But it is most likely prominently featured in an important scene or maybe even multiple scenes as a recurring theme, which would limit streamers/content creators from using a significant portion of sections of gameplay, and disabling the song, would likely effect the "tone" of those moments.

As for why only 2 years, I'm guessing there are legal reasons for that, international copyright can be a bit tricky.

The reason they've probably chosen to allow the use of the song is, and this is just a guess as I've not played it, But it is most likely prominently featured in an important scene or maybe even multiple scenes as a recurring theme, which would limit streamers/content creators from using a significant portion of sections of gameplay, and disabling the song, would likely effect the "tone" of those moments.

As for why only 2 years, I'm guessing there are legal reasons for that, international copyright can be a bit tricky.

Good point, hadn't thought of that :think:

I'm kinda hoping there'll be a new Lizzy Wizzy track (I imagine Grimes would've been game for giving a track exclusively to CDPR, but maybe her record label wouldn't allow something like that?). But, yeah, perhaps DW is what they'll use instead...

Last edited:
why are you putting us in this position then why the switch if in two years I'm going to be bombarded with copyright complaints it's wrong I haven't even heard this song and when I hear it I'm not going to be thrilled then do another one a slider to turn off that Delicate Weapon song and that's it.
If possible, I will neutralize Slommon
it will be necessary to cut the sound of the game so that the audience does not hear this song, and what to do in the scenes? just disdain for us, soon like ubisoft or rockstar you will push all the music with copyright

Last edited:
I am not quite clear on all this. I plan to stream my gameplay, but I have no interest in or expectation of monetization. Exactly what repercussions do I face if I do not disable copyrighted music? Will I get sued? Will the musicians complain?

I am not quite clear on all this. I plan to stream my gameplay, but I have no interest in or expectation of monetization. Exactly what repercussions do I face if I do not disable copyrighted music? Will I get sued? Will the musicians complain?
A copright infringement during a stream might end up in you beeing sued, but at least in Germany, it's common practice by the copyright holder to ask for signing a declaration of discontinuance first. These declarations may include a lot of nasty stuff, so better have a lawyer looking at it before signing. However, getting caught again after signing such declaration is very likely going to end up in law suit against you.

International copyright rule can get complicated, but more likely than not, if the video is not monetized and they determine it falls under fair use, probably nothing will happen. At most the video may be taken down, suspended or partially muted while under review. A lawsuit is extremely unlikely especially if the video had not been monetized.

Every country does have their own rules regarding this stuff, and different labels pursue this kind of claim a little differently. So, it's hard to say exactly what they would do. Also, it's important to note that most platforms have their own rules too, so twitch for example may take the video down preemptively if their software determines there is a potential infringement happening.

For gaming, it's best to stream using the "Streaming options" if a game offers them such as disabling nudity and copywritten music just to avoid a take down or potentially a platform ban, regardless of if you plan to monetize the video. Having said all of that this is a unique case since it is a timed exemption and it looks as if the videos would not be taken down after 2 years, just no longer eligible for monetization if the song is not muted. So, depending on your intentions no action may be required after that point other than the disabling of monetization if it's turned on.

But again, it's definitely best practice to use any "Stream safe settings" regardless of monetization to avoid issues with either the music labels or platform guidelines.

I would rather them use their house composers who make great music than have some high-level money-grubbing artists like grimes ruin the experience for gamers trying to stream. I don't stream but if you do not want your music in the public domain don't put it into another medium that takes it outside your domain of control. Grimes is grimy and honestly, her entire presence in the game in a lot of ways is indicative of this. I doubt the character she played in the game is a far stretch from how she is.

Thanks for the clear explanation and guidelines!
Also, it seems to me actually pretty cool for a large artist to wave copyright for a 2 year period like this, but I'm not overly experienced in such dealings. Anyway, nicely negotiated and I'll make sure to familiarize myself with this track and keep an eye out for it cropping up in my content.

It would really be nice if you just added a slider that would let us mute that track ahead of time. I am not a fan of having to deal with this 2 years later, and I will probably start awkwardly trying to kill the audio when this song starts(since I won't know till it does). I was going to play this on stream before playing it myself and it would be so much easier to have the option to disable it.

registered just to beg you, think of the customers, copyright strikes are terrible and can result in a deleted account and heavy fines.

Disable Copyrighted Music toggle needs a sub-toggle; chooms be save, this button disables all copyrighted music, your eddies are save. Corpo CD Project is with you, pon pon away.
Sub-toggle can also say; removes “Delicate Weapon” by Grimes , you eddies are yours and not grimes.

Last edited:
Simple solution, someone will make a mod to replace "Delicate Weapon" with a creative commons track or just silence or a track from the game's soundtrack.

Update: I listened to "delicate weapon" and I'm convienced you can find loads of free-of-copyright new-age/ambient songs that can substitute "delicate weapon" in both emotions and rhythm. So now it only remains to be seen how fast will someone make a track replacement mod [if they haven't already done so]...

Last edited:
I think outright disabling copyrighted music is not the right solution. There should two solutions:
  • Have legally distinct music play in place of copyrighted music (to a different sound device if the next one is also used)
  • Send copyrighted music to a different sound device that the player can mix to play for themselves but not in the stream
Combining the above would allow you to have the viewers listen to some kind of music that would not get the video taken down and have you listen to the original music privately. As it stands you would compromise the experience of both the viewers and the streamer.

Last edited:

Guest 4716340

Hey Chooms!

Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty will feature many new music tracks created by our in-house composers and wonderful artists we collaborated with. We want to take a moment to remind you of a music-related feature dedicated to content creators and streamers, and provide a small update for this feature.

Cyberpunk 2077 has a “Disable Copyrighted Music” toggle which disables the small portion of in-game tracks that could result in demonetization or video takedown if streamed. Be sure to turn this toggle on in the game’s settings before you start streaming or recording your Cyberpunk 2077 content.

Switching on the “Disable Copyrighted Music” toggle guarantees no issues with monetization or copyright takedowns of video content connected with Cyberpunk 2077. With the launch of Phantom Liberty, we made one important exception regarding our approach.

“Delicate Weapon” by Grimes, a song featured prominently in the game’s scenes and radio stations, will not be disabled even when “Disable Copyrighted Music” is toggled on. At the same time, content creators who decide to publish Cyberpunk 2077-related content featuring this song will be able to monetize that content for a limited period of two years following the launch of Phantom Liberty. In other words, if you use “Delicate Weapon” in your content connected with Cyberpunk 2077, you will be able to earn revenue from that content until September 21st, 2025, after which that content will become demonetized. If you want to avoid demonetization of your content featuring the song past that date, please make sure to manually disable or remove music from the scenes featuring this song.

Regardless, using “Delicate Weapon” in your Cyberpunk 2077 content should not result in your content being taken down. On September 21st, 2025, the song will be automatically added to a list of music tracks muted by the “Disable Copyrighted Music” feature.​

Thank you for your understanding. We hope that you enjoy Phantom Liberty and have fun streaming and creating video content for Cyberpunk 2077.

Hey Chooms!

Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty will feature many new music tracks created by our in-house composers and wonderful artists we collaborated with. We want to take a moment to remind you of a music-related feature dedicated to content creators and streamers, and provide a small update for this feature.

Cyberpunk 2077 has a “Disable Copyrighted Music” toggle which disables the small portion of in-game tracks that could result in demonetization or video takedown if streamed. Be sure to turn this toggle on in the game’s settings before you start streaming or recording your Cyberpunk 2077 content.

Switching on the “Disable Copyrighted Music” toggle guarantees no issues with monetization or copyright takedowns of video content connected with Cyberpunk 2077. With the launch of Phantom Liberty, we made one important exception regarding our approach.

“Delicate Weapon” by Grimes, a song featured prominently in the game’s scenes and radio stations, will not be disabled even when “Disable Copyrighted Music” is toggled on. At the same time, content creators who decide to publish Cyberpunk 2077-related content featuring this song will be able to monetize that content for a limited period of two years following the launch of Phantom Liberty. In other words, if you use “Delicate Weapon” in your content connected with Cyberpunk 2077, you will be able to earn revenue from that content until September 21st, 2025, after which that content will become demonetized. If you want to avoid demonetization of your content featuring the song past that date, please make sure to manually disable or remove music from the scenes featuring this song.

Can I disable level scaling for enemies and attribute checks?

Top Bottom