Divinity: Original Sin

+
Divinity: Original Sin

Anyone stoked for this game? I'm a big fan of Larian. When it comes to level design and exploration they are second to none. Even though this game will be turn based I'm tempted to get it anyway. Sven Vinke, the team lead is an interesting guy, quite outspoken on DRM, publishers, consoles, etc. Anyway, consider this the official fan thread for this game and post info as it comes in.

http://www.divinityoriginalsin.com/

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_oOQNJ6g8A4[/media]

It looks interesting. I've never been a big fan of the Divinity series but this one seems more my style than any of the previous entries.

Considering upcoming old-school releases like Wasteland 2, Project Eternity, and even Shadowrun Returns, what does Divinity - Original Sin have to offer?

Volsung said:
It looks interesting. I've never been a big fan of the Divinity series but this one seems more my style than any of the previous entries.

Considering upcoming old-school releases like Wasteland 2, Project Eternity, and even Shadowrun Returns, what does Divinity - Original Sin have to offer?

More of the same, really. their inspiration is PnP gaming, so this would be a good one to play with a friend as it has a co-op dialog system. Both players get to take part in conversations. The art style isn't winning me over but if they can make the world as beautiful and detailed as Divine Divinity, I'm all in.

Considering the lack of top-down, turn-based, party-based computer RPG's nowadays, I'd say this might be worth trying.

How does the co-op dialogue system work? A coworker was explaining to me today how dialogue works in The Old Republic. Apparently team members get to each choose a sentence and through some kind of polling system the most voted option wins. Thing is, if you choose a pro dark side line and your teammate chooses a pro "light" side line, each get their respective bonuses, regardless of the line that actually wins.

I like the look of Divine Divinity. I played the demo of Divinity 2 and honestly didn't quite like it. It felt clunky and the combat was plain weird. Visually it was nice but a little too shiny. There seemed to be many quests but they were hard to follow in the journal. But still, I can always appreciate the work of someone tying to do something good for this genre.

I don't think you need to ask Slim. I've been following the game since I first mentioned it on BSN. I don't care what anyone says I love the artstyle and bright colors.

Volsung said:
How does the co-op dialogue system work? A coworker was explaining to me today how dialogue works in The Old Republic.
It's probably the only redeeming thing in the MMO. The multiplayer dialogue really is fun especially when a conversation would take an unexpected turn.

Volsung said:
I like the look of Divine Divinity. I played the demo of Divinity 2 and honestly didn't quite like it. It felt clunky and the combat was plain weird. Visually it was nice but a little too shiny. There seemed to be many quests but they were hard to follow in the journal. But still, I can always appreciate the work of someone tying to do something good for this genre.

This is what I really liked about Divinity II.

"There's a lot of ways to ruin people's lives in this game," said Larian Studios CEO Swen Vincke."

Another woman clad in what looks like armoured thongs and bikini and nothing more while the guy is fully covered in plate mail... I couldn't get more turned off of a game than this.

No I'm not interested. If the first thing I see is a picture that insults my intelligence then it doesn't bode well. I'll pass.

I'm personally excited for Divinity:Original Sin because before The Witcher my favourite game was Divine Divinity-I know stupid name but great game. />

Playing Div Div at the moment, thought it was about time to finish the beggar. Got to say i'm enjoying it, lots of interaction with the enviroment, little quests everywhere and an absurd amount of detail. Definitely getting Original Sin.

I just tried Divine Divinity (after getting it on GOG) - quite an interesting game. Runs perfectly with Wine. Sometimes it feels like AI should be smarter (NPCs shouldn't just stand while you bash them without running away if they could figure out they are weaker than your char), but otherwise the world itself is quite extensive and detailed and the story isn't boring either.

Gilrond said:
I just tried Divine Divinity (after getting it on GOG) - quite an interesting game. Runs perfectly with Wine. Sometimes it feels like AI should be smarter (NPCs shouldn't just stand while you bash them without running away if they could figure out they are weaker than your char), but otherwise the world itself is quite extensive and detailed and the story isn't boring either.

One of the best things about the game is the classes character system. You can really customize your build any way your want. As for the graphics and art design, it's my favorite top down game from that era. If you tweak the settings right, it's absolutely gorgeous.

Spoilers for Div Div if you haven't played it.

Allright, just finished the Plague Doctor quest and i've got to say that i'm dead impressed, starts off with a farmer worrying over his spoiled crop and ends with one of the most difficult decisions i've ever made, two doses of antidote and three afflicted. Actually investigated the poisoning of the crops and people, following a logical trail of clues across the land, very well put together.

Hopefully we'll see a lot of this in Original Sin.

cdred

Forum regular
I'm playing "Divine Divinity" currently and liked is so far. "Original Sin" graphical style is a bit too cartoonish to my like but the game looks very promising otherwise. I'm definitely interested to buy it.

I enjoyed Divine Divinity, it's one of the best games i have played. I 'm interested on playing this one as well; it looks promising.

They're doing a kickstarter to increase the scope of the project, unfortunately they weren't very specific about what they wanted to do with the extra money: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin

The pitch video includes a lot of gameplay footage we had not seen before and it looks quite good.

Edit: I must say this looks a hundred times more interesting than Richard Garriot's game, but they should've picked a better time for this to go live.

Aw man, I absolutely loved Divine Divinity and Divinity 2.
For me, at that time, it was the perfect game... damn immersive and great story.
Divnity 2 was different but still great, even though the concept was not as good as the "classic" style that the first one had (the flying fortress part was lacking for example)

It is a shame I can't support them because I don't own a credit card but as soon as Paypal is available I will be there ;)

Damn it more fucking spending, i'm going to have nowt bloody left soon, still right up my alley so i'll stick the usual £35 or so on it, because i'd be buying it anyway. Hope it gives me a code for downloading off GOG. Need to reduce the size of those shoulder pads and put that lass in some more sensible harness, but apart from that this looks golden.

Sadly, Larian won't likely meet the goal. They aren't a well known AAA studio. Correction: they aren't a well known, AAA North American studio.

Top Bottom