Failed Space Oddity by not starting it

+
So earlier I came across the 3 bums that start the quest, listened to their spiel, then declined to buy the briefcase from them as I was busy with Phantom Liberty main quests at that time. The quest remained, with the objective of "talk to the bums" on my journal.
I've finished PL some time ago, and I decided to take up this quest. On my way to the bums, I came came across one of El Capitan's vehicle contracts, did that instead, but as I was on my way to the delivery point I got the message that Space Oddity failed.
As far as I 'm aware, Space Oddity is not on any timer. What could have caused it to fail?

On my way to the bums, I came came across one of El Capitan's vehicle contracts, did that instead, but as I was on my way to the delivery point I got the message that Space Oddity failed.
As far as I 'm aware, Space Oddity is not on any timer. What could have caused it to fail?
I could be wrong, it never happen to me, but my guesses:
- Either you take too long after getting the coordinates (when opening the computer).
- Either you pass nearby the location (in the badlands) and also take too long to reach the coordonates.
In the message, if I remember, it say that "they" know you access it and send agents at the place (i.e militeck guys). So I think there is a "timer", but no sure it's when you read the message or when you are close enough of the location.

Well I was in the vicinity of the drop point doing one of Dakota's gigs but when I first talked to the bums I didn't buy the briefcase, so couldn't have opened the computer and trigger the drop.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, how close to the bums where you when you started the vehicle mission? any chance that combat or a chase, or something accidentally killed one of the NPCs or "Spooked' them and they ran?

I think it's possible for the painting to be recovered if you take too long after launching it, but if you hadn't gotten to that part the only thing, I can think of is the Bum NPCs being disrupted in some way.... Or a bug.

Well I was in the vicinity of the drop point doing on of Dakota's gigs but when I first talked to the bums I didn't buy the briefcase, so couldn't have opened the computer and trigger the drop.
Ok, so if you didn't open the computer, no idea :(
I often triggered the quest to "talk to the dums" early and let it like that for a while and it never failed. But as soon as I talked to them, I always completed the quest right away.
It could also be a bug.

Just out of curiosity, how close to the bums where you when you started the vehicle mission? any chance that combat or a chase, or something accidentally killed one of the NPCs or "Spooked' them and they ran?

I think it's possible for the painting to be recovered if you take too long after launching it, but if you hadn't gotten to that part the only thing, I can think of is the Bum NPCs being disrupted in some way.... Or a bug.
There was combat, but I was nowhere near them.

Top Bottom