Favorite decks

+
It is sometimes easy to focus on negatives: what we dislike about Gwent, decks, archetypes, combinations, and cards we hate. I want to turn things around here. What are decks you truly enjoy playing or encountering — not just because they are successful, but because they are fun? Take a few minutes to describe the decks and why you like them.
Post automatically merged:

I will start with a couple of decks that I have been recently playing. Neither is top tier, but both are competitive in unranked play (where I always play) and both can occasionally beat meta decks. Although very different, I notice that both share several characteristics (which may be why they appeal to me). Ironically, they come from my two least favorite factions!

The first is a Syndicate deck that I have posted in the Quirky Decks thread. It is a devotion deck designed to use the new SY cards that benefit from emptying one’s coin bank as frequently as possible (especially Casimir and Eveline). I use the lined pockets leader with many inexpensive fee cards (Brawler, Blacksmith), crime cards (esp. those that generate either coins or fee cards), engine cards, and quality spenders.

The second is a Scoia’tael Heist deck. It is devotion (though it uses no devotion cards), and it uses exclusively elves. More notable than elves used is the one I don’t use: Vanadain (which I find a despicable card which would twist the deck into something I would definitely dislike). Aside from Elf units, I also use the elf creating spells (Bountiful Harvest, Backup Plan) and the elf scenario. Although it uses several cards about which I have concerns (Simlas, Scenario, Heist), I don’t think they are objectionable here. When I get a chance, I will post the deck list in the Quirky Decks thread.

Shared characteristics of these decks is that both have significant engine value (the SY deck through actual engines, the ST deck through increasing elf synergies and delayed value cards). Thus, they are competitive against most opposition in medium to long rounds. Neither has tutors or significant thinning, but neither is so strongly build around particular cards or combos that they can’t survive bad draws. Both have removal /control — but in a very moderated and organic sense. Thus, they cannot rotely remove everything, and sometimes removal requires creativity. And both have somewhat unpredictable “create” cards with enough focus to be usable but enough variety to give meaningful choices.

I have found games with these decks to be unique — even against identical opposition. The decks are flexible in strategy; adaptable depending upon the opposing deck. And both are tactically rich often requiring creative solutions.

Unfortunately, both are hopeless against removal engines (NR Reavers, NG soldiers, SK Warlord decks). And both are vulnerable to decks with multiple “remove or lose” cards because neither has extensive removal on demand.

Last edited:
Top Bottom