Favourite music

+
Well, there's always the original and the mainstream I guess. All the good country music may be called folk these days, but it was country back then, and country's nothing else than folk at it's roots.The same can be said about a lot of musical styles. I listen to a lot of british folk stuff from the 60s, that music is called singer/songwriter these days because folk is usually associated with the background music in Irish pubs these days. But what makes me laugh most is what music stores put on the independant/alternative & Punk shelves. Usually that's all the stuff they just haven't heard of. "Independant and alternative" bands these days make rock music, pop music, electronic music, folk music, country, whatever music, but not what used to be "alternative and punk". So usualy you find your good rock and pop bands on those shelves, while if you have a look at the shelves called "Rock and Pop", you usually want to rename it "music for people who don't know shit about music", "music for people who are stuck" or "your usual chartbreakers, as seen in our TV advertisements". Genres are not what they've been anymore, and you can find great country music on the Folk shelves, great folk music in Rock and great Pop in Independant... it's just about time to rename all these. :-\

RogueRoxy said:
Personally, I would categorize Johnny Cash as a Folk singer. The current Country Music genre is far too vast. Country Music people think that the Eagles and the Allman Bros. are Country singers, which is far from the truth. Some of their stuff may be stylized, but they certainly aren't Country people at heart. And, for the record, I like some of Cash's music. He doesn't whine and twang like current Country folk ;D .~ Roxy
True *nods*. I'm not a great fan of Country genre, but I remember a guy named Kenny Rogers :). Anyway, I've talked lately to someone with I thougth wisdom and lore about music. I was really surprised when she pointed Dylan as Country musician. And about Cash and Hurt - imo that song is poor. He had a lot better pieces, like Cocaine blues, Boy named Sue or Personal Jesus (sounds perfect with his voice! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQcNiD0Z3MU). Sipmly tap Cash in YouTube search - you should find some hits of his :)cheers

Gods, no! Bob Dylan was never Country. Folk, yes. He would have been the first Jewish Country singer I ever heard of, had he gone that route. Can't see a cowboy with a yarmulke, personally ;D (no offense to our Jewish friends).One of my favourite folk singers was Stan Rogers from Canada. Alas, he's dead now.~ Roxy

RogueRoxy said:
Gods, no! Bob Dylan was never Country. Folk, yes. He would have been the first Jewish Country singer I ever heard of, had he gone that route. Can't see a cowboy with a yarmulke, personally ;D (no offense to our Jewish friends).One of my favourite folk singers was Stan Rogers from Canada. Alas, he's dead now.~ Roxy
Heh, not that I disagree with you, but do you remember the "Nashville Skyline" LP? ;D

Sure, but in the song 'Girl of the North Country', he used verses from 'Are You Going to Scarborough Fair' which is a ballad. Still not Country :p You can hear parts of his album on BobDylan.com ~ Roxy

RogueRoxy said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcmH1LdPNKA :-*~ Roxy
Hey i heard this song when i wore a younger man's clothes ;) . Though still like it. btw anyone ever heard 'Piano man'?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ1_M_L_RSIhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9Uv0wMtaTA&feature=related - live 1975http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFPZTG0H8LA - live 2006

@ God Bless Fiji LOL not only I remember it had the album and been to a few of the concerts way back when I was 15 :whistle:

Billy Joel was always very talented. I have to say, though, that I am basically a Rock fan. Pink Floyd, et al.Hm... scratch that... I do believe I have eclectic tastes, since there is a lot of variety in the music I like. Anyone glancing at the music folder on my PC would be very confused when trying to pin down my favourite genre. I'm still glad David Cook won American Idol this year, but I doubt I'd ever buy an album.~ Roxy

I prefer metal music (I don't dare to specify type - depends on the mood, but don't like those melodic (pop) ones). Also I like a classical music somehow ::)

Woah this is a tough one, my music taste is so varied, I like Blues, Jazz, Rock, Metal, Dance, Trance, house, Classical, Pop..........Ermm it would be easier to say what I don't like which is Gangster rap, modern day R'nB, I say modern day because when Mr J Hooker took me down the crossroads, that was R&B to me and always will be. Thats it really, my mood tends to choose my taste.

Oh no sorry. With my liking it is difficult because I'm from Germany and there is no big publicity of J-Pop/-Rock. So i know only a little few groups and single players.In the attach there is a file with my liking for example.

Marillion, Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler, Kate Bush, Bjork, The Gathering, After Forever, Joe Satriani...But Marillion in particular I can always listen to and not be bored with. I'm quite impatiently waiting for their new cd to come out :D

gamewidow said:
do you like Husking Bee ?
Is that like a spelling bee? I know you can husk corn, but bees? Or maybe like boo-bees??
~ Roxy

Top Bottom