FPS Drops when opening Map

+
All options on, Ray-Trace Lighting on Medium.

No question there's a problem, but it doesn't (for me anyway) degrade with time, it can be absolutely fine for a good while, then poor, then good again. That's without moving to a different area, just opening/closing the map repeatedly.
I did notice this. When I pause the game and wait for like 30 seconds in a laggy spot it jumps back up to proper performance in the same area, but the lag does eventually return if I hang around there too long.

All options on, Ray-Trace Lighting on Medium.

No question there's a problem, but it doesn't (for me anyway) degrade with time, it can be absolutely fine for a good while, then poor, then good again. That's without moving to a different area, just opening/closing the map repeatedly.
It doesn't "degrade over time" - it escalates.

Meaning, you will get closer and closer to the ceiling on max settings - depending on where you are in the game and what you're doing.

Some areas and activities seem to take up more memory - and, at some point, you will reach the ceiling for the issue to start.

That doesn't mean it won't "clean itself" - and I suppose that's about your tolerance.

Personally, I absolutely despise waiting for several seconds for the clean-up process - and it's this process in itself that seems to take longer - the more you exceed the limit.

However, 1440p takes up a LOT less memory than 4K. I haven't personally had any issue with 1440p (using my windowed work-around) - but I would expect it to be a bigger problem if you only have 6GB. I would also expect that the smaller the memory footprint - the quicker the clean-up process.

Regardless, there's a big issue with this game at max settings and VRAM limitations - and I'm convinced it's about memory management related to the UI, but if I'm wrong then I'll gladly concede so.

I really don't care what the issue is - I would just really like to see it fixed sharpish.

It doesn't "degrade over time" - it escalates.

Meaning, you will get closer and closer to the ceiling on max settings - depending on where you are in the game and what you're doing.

Some areas and activities seem to take up more memory - and, at some point, you will reach the ceiling for the issue to start.

That doesn't mean it won't "clean itself" - and I suppose that's about your tolerance.

Personally, I absolutely despise waiting for several seconds for the clean-up process - and it's this process in itself that seems to take longer - the more you exceed the limit.
The idea that there's a cleaning process that is causing the intermittent lags makes some sense to an old brain like mine. I remember the 'garbage collection' process that could freeze my Commodore 64 for minutes... Mind you my PC is a bit faster than a C64.

However, 1440p takes up a LOT less memory than 4K. I haven't personally had any issue with 1440p (using my windowed work-around) - but I would expect it to be a bigger problem if you only have 6GB. I would also expect that the smaller the memory footprint - the quicker the clean-up process.

Regardless, there's a big issue with this game at max settings and VRAM limitations - and I'm convinced it's about memory management related to the UI, but if I'm wrong then I'll gladly concede so
Out of interest (and that's the only reason I'm chuntering on about this, I'm interested in understanding what's up) I've reverted to 1.31. A cursory look at VRAM usage with the Afterburner monitor and Task Manager performance monitor shows.. no difference at all to 1.5. VRAM is still being utilised almost to the max, along with about 1.5 GB shared GPU memory. And yet no FPS drops.

Side question: you mentioned in earlier post that the map is now rendered at a different resolution than before. Can I ask how you determine that?

I really don't care what the issue is - I would just really like to see it fixed sharpish.
Yep!

A bit silly thing but seems like 1.5 or 1.52 messed up with graphic settings in cyberpunk totally changing some values (like going from 2.4k to 4k!). I reverted it back and its quite stable now (but FPS drops when opening map happens after some time) - might want to check setting just in case.

A bit silly thing but seems like 1.5 or 1.52 messed up with graphic settings in cyberpunk totally changing some values (like going from 2.4k to 4k!). I reverted it back and its quite stable now (but FPS drops when opening map happens after some time) - might want to check setting just in case.
what values did you change specifically

Resolution, volumetric fog , DLSS was on max. One or two settings happened to be off - some facial shadows or something like that. I dont usually play while drinking so I dont know how it happened :)

The idea that there's a cleaning process that is causing the intermittent lags makes some sense to an old brain like mine. I remember the 'garbage collection' process that could freeze my Commodore 64 for minutes... Mind you my PC is a bit faster than a C64.

Out of interest (and that's the only reason I'm chuntering on about this, I'm interested in understanding what's up) I've reverted to 1.31. A cursory look at VRAM usage with the Afterburner monitor and Task Manager performance monitor shows.. no difference at all to 1.5. VRAM is still being utilised almost to the max, along with about 1.5 GB shared GPU memory. And yet no FPS drops.

Side question: you mentioned in earlier post that the map is now rendered at a different resolution than before. Can I ask how you determine that?

Yep!
I didn't say the map had a different resolution - I said elements of the UI, most specifically your character/inventory screen. In 1.31 and past versions - your character/weapons/gear were displayed in the non-upscaled DLSS resolution (as in, a lower resolution than the rest of the game if you used DLSS).

Now, that wasn't a great thing - because it looked awful at the more aggressive DLSS settings - but I suspect it's this very change that is the cause of the FPS drops and stuttering.

It seems to me that the game now loads all assets in the (proper) resolution - when you enter the UI - even when using DLSS - which means more VRAM usage. Hard to say exactly how much more VRAM it is - because it will depend on your DLSS setting, resolution and texture quality.

As for VRAM usage nearing the max - that's not really a problem. It's the clean-up process that's the problem, and obviously it's going to take longer the more and quicker you enter and exit the UI.

I'm the sort of player who accesses the UI constantly - because I suck at finding my way around - and I check my gear all the time. I also despise having to wait any amount of seconds for simple UI interactions, so I'm more sensitive to the escalating delays.

It's not something that's immediately apparent - and I spent many, many hours testing this - which is why I've detailed my findings here. I wanted to see if I could find my own solution - because I honestly didn't expect much from CDPR - seeing as how this is a relatively small segment of players.

I did find a reasonable work-around (the black background windowed mode in lower res I mentioned) - and it supports my theory quite nicely, I must say. Not that it's certain to be factual, though.

If you can play at max settings and max resolution for hours and hours without noticeable and lasting FPS drops with only 6B of VRAM - I don't know what to say, except that it runs counter to everything I've seen, heard and personally tested so far. Maybe there's some kind of exception or leak that doesn't happen for you - for whatever reason. I can't say.

Last edited:
I didn't say the map had a different resolution - I said elements of the UI, most specifically your character/inventory screen. In 1.31 and past versions - your character/weapons/gear were displayed in the non-upscaled DLSS resolution (as in, a lower resolution than the rest of the game if you used DLSS).
Ah, my mistake, I took your reference to 'UI' to include the map. I hadn't really noticed a change in the inventory display to be honest.

As for VRAM usage nearing the max - that's not really a problem. It's the clean-up process that's the problem, and obviously it's going to take longer the more and quicker you enter and exit the UI.
What's got me puzzled is that, like I mentioned in earlier post, 1.31 also use VRAM hard and eat into the shared memory as well, without the same issues. I guess the clean-up/memory management processes might have changed for the worse in 1.5?

I'm the sort of player who accesses the UI constantly - because I suck at finding my way around - and I check my gear all the time. I also despise having to wait any amount of seconds for simple UI interactions, so I'm more sensitive to the escalating delays.
Same, but again, I don't see the delays escalate. Rather they come and go.
If you can play at max settings and max resolution for hours and hours without noticeable and lasting FPS drops with only 6B of VRAM - I don't know what to say, except that it runs counter to everything I've seen, heard and personally tested so far. Maybe there's some kind of exception or leak that doesn't happen for you - for whatever reason. I can't say.
Um, did I say I ran without issue at 4k/max settings? No I did not :) I've always said I see the FPS drops going into the map. But not all the time, and yes I can (at 1440p) run very happily in 6 GB without any obvious problems for a good while (1-2 hours I guess), and it's not a continuous issue.

It's all academic, in that I doubt we'll be told what the issue was when it's fixed (I'm sure it will be). Judging by how many of us see it (ie everyone using RTX?) and the fact that it's not been quickly addressed in a hotfix like the audio, suggests to me that it's not at all straightforward.

Ah, my mistake, I took your reference to 'UI' to include the map. I hadn't really noticed a change in the inventory display to be honest.

What's got me puzzled is that, like I mentioned in earlier post, 1.31 also use VRAM hard and eat into the shared memory as well, without the same issues. I guess the clean-up/memory management processes might have changed for the worse in 1.5?

Same, but again, I don't see the delays escalate. Rather they come and go.

Um, did I say I ran without issue at 4k/max settings? No I did not :) I've always said I see the FPS drops going into the map. But not all the time, and yes I can (at 1440p) run very happily in 6 GB without any obvious problems for a good while (1-2 hours I guess), and it's not a continuous issue.

It's all academic, in that I doubt we'll be told what the issue was when it's fixed (I'm sure it will be). Judging by how many of us see it (ie everyone using RTX?) and the fact that it's not been quickly addressed in a hotfix like the audio, suggests to me that it's not at all straightforward.

Are you looking at VRAM allocation or usage?

Now, I haven't found a way to look at actual usage - I can only guestimate based on allocation. I use W11 performance monitor for that. A game can allocate identical amounts of VRAM without actually using identical amounts. Many games will allocate significantly more than they end up using. I'm not a game developer - but I expect the thing to do is just to allocate most available free VRAM regardless of what you're actually using, because then it's there for you to use.

You mentioned performance monitor - and that's only allocation AFAIK, not usage :)

Meaning we probably can't tell what the game is using - we can just make educated guesses about why this is happening. My guess is that the game post 1.5 is using all (or nearly all) allocated VRAM - where 1.31 and past versions didn't. Well, that's not true - past versions had worse memory leaks - but they weren't related to the same thing, I don't think.

As for you not seeing a drop in resolution quality in the inventory in 1.31 - I don't know what to say. At DLSS performance or ultra performance - it's extremely obvious. I don't know about the other DLSS settings, because I usually play at performance, which is the sweet spot for me in terms of performance and visual quality.

As for the FPS drops - I specifically said *lasting* FPS drops - which you're saying you're not experiencing.

That's what I - and others - are experiencing. After X amount of hours - the clean-up process takes a long time - and, eventually, the frame rate is permanently lowered (well, at least for way too long to be able to stand it). There's no way I'll play a game that takes 10+ seconds after exiting the UI before it runs properly. Maybe some people can tolerate that, but I certainly can't.

I have no idea why you're not experiencing that - but if you're only playing for 1-2 hours at a time, then that could be the reason. Usually, it takes a good while before it becomes "permanent".

With all that said, I haven't tested this with these recent hotfixes. I don't know the current status of the issue - and it could be that they've already made some changes.

Oh, and we agree it's very academic - and I honestly don't need to be told much of anything. If they fix it - I'll be happy.

Are you looking at VRAM allocation or usage?

Now, I haven't found a way to look at actual usage - I can only guestimate based on allocation. I use W11 performance monitor for that. A game can allocate identical amounts of VRAM without actually using identical amounts. Many games will allocate significantly more than they end up using. I'm not a game developer - but I expect the thing to do is just to allocate most available free VRAM regardless of what you're actually using, because then it's there for you to use.

You mentioned performance monitor - and that's only allocation AFAIK, not usage :)
All I know is the tools available show no difference between 1.31 and 1.52, but if no-one can actually see VRAM usage, after all this, we're all just speculating :) Everyone seems so certain...

As for you not seeing a drop in resolution quality in the inventory in 1.31 - I don't know what to say. At DLSS performance or ultra performance - it's extremely obvious. I don't know about the other DLSS settings, because I usually play at performance, which is the sweet spot for me in terms of performance and visual quality.
Eyesight in old age my friend... that's my excuse anyway :) No, I genuinely didn't notice it being especially worse in 1.31 or improving in 1.5. Usually have DLSS Performance.
That's what I - and others - are experiencing. After X amount of hours - the clean-up process takes a long time - and, eventually, the frame rate is permanently lowered (well, at least for way too long to be able to stand it). There's no way I'll play a game that takes 10+ seconds after exiting the UI before it runs properly. Maybe some people can tolerate that, but I certainly can't.
No not seen anything that bad to be fair, that would drive me crazy. Occasional drops which correct after 2-3 seconds tops? And then it's been normal again for a good while (and I have played for more that 2 hours as well).

The GPU does seem to get unusually hammered now in the map display though, doesn't seem quite right that it should need 100% effort for that.

Anyway, roll-on the fix!

All I know is the tools available show no difference between 1.31 and 1.52, but if no-one can actually see VRAM usage, after all this, we're all just speculating :) Everyone seems so certain...

Eyesight in old age my friend... that's my excuse anyway :) No, I genuinely didn't notice it being especially worse in 1.31 or improving in 1.5. Usually have DLSS Performance.

No not seen anything that bad to be fair, that would drive me crazy. Occasional drops which correct after 2-3 seconds tops? And then it's been normal again for a good while (and I have played for more that 2 hours as well).

Anyway, roll-on the fix!
I don't know what others can see, but I can only see allocation :)

Certainty is a strange thing. Let's call it intuition, then.

This problem starts happening after VRAM allocation is raised - which is a pretty strong indicator that usage is increasing as well. The extreme stuttering and slowdowns fit the narrative of using shared memory very well indeed.

But, since it's not happening in 1.31 - the actual usage would seem to be lower and my assumption is that the ceiling is never actually exceeded.

To me, these conclusions feel pretty safe.

Again, the allocation is probably the same - and they likely didn't change anything in that way. But VRAM usage can easily have changed - and it makes particular sense since the resolution of assets has been significantly raised.

So, is it certain? No, nothing really is.

But I consider it EXTREMELY likely - at least until someone comes up with a better explanation.

But, yeah, let's get that fix :)

I have some contrary evidence to the VRAM theory.

Using the following:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - 64GB RAM
Radeon 6600XT - 8GB RAM
Xubuntu 20.04.4
Kernel 5.13.0-27-generic
GE-Proton7-8

And enabling MangoHUD, I see steady frame rates of 50-60fps using the High graphics preset and FSR set to either Quality or Ultra Quality. VRAM usage fluctuates between 6.8 and 6.9GB.

However, every few times I open the map, the frame lag skyrockets and the frame rate correspondingly drops to around 15fps. RAM, VRAM, CPU, and GPU usage all remain the same - but frame rate drops.

The "fix"?

Open and close the map 2-3 times - once never works.

You can also fix it by changing the FSR setting to anything and clicking apply.

When it's in this "low frame rate" mode, changing the other graphics settings has no effect - only a setting that requires one to click "apply".

I don't think it's VRAM usage, at least, not in my case.

I have some contrary evidence to the VRAM theory.

Using the following:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - 64GB RAM
Radeon 6600XT - 8GB RAM
Xubuntu 20.04.4
Kernel 5.13.0-27-generic
GE-Proton7-8

And enabling MangoHUD, I see steady frame rates of 50-60fps using the High graphics preset and FSR set to either Quality or Ultra Quality. VRAM usage fluctuates between 6.8 and 6.9GB.

However, every few times I open the map, the frame lag skyrockets and the frame rate correspondingly drops to around 15fps. RAM, VRAM, CPU, and GPU usage all remain the same - but frame rate drops.

The "fix"?

Open and close the map 2-3 times - once never works.

You can also fix it by changing the FSR setting to anything and clicking apply.

When it's in this "low frame rate" mode, changing the other graphics settings has no effect - only a setting that requires one to click "apply".

I don't think it's VRAM usage, at least, not in my case.
I can kinda agree that Vram usage isent the whole story seeing this problem is very diffrent for people. I get the "takes awhile sometimes too load the map" and i dont ever run out of vram not even close (24gb). I also get the HDR way too bright when i close the map. I see a increase in Vram allocation pretty stedely up to a point ingame tho and then it kinda levels out. 13-16 gb usage @4k, Dlss performance, and maxed out settings.

im kinda starting too think that its a UI problem, the increase in frametime seem too indicate that the game has problem rendering the frames fast enough and fps drops as a consequence. Gonna need too do some testing, sadly i dont have the game installed atm so shall se if i cba ^^

So it took me like 2 secs too see an issue. Weird i havent noticed it before.

Take a look at my Vram usage when i open the map. It rises by like 1,5 gb every time. If your at 6.9gb usage before using the map its quite clear it will get atleast closer to maxing out vram and going too other memory instead. It might be using much more for me due too settings or something but im guessing it just loads the map on top of your existing memory usage. For me theres no fps loss when i exit either. I do use mods tho so...

one possible fix might be to turn off Resizable BAR in your Bios. you should give it a try, please let me know if it changed anything for u.

one possible fix might be to turn off Resizable BAR in your Bios. you should give it a try, please let me know if it changed anything for u.
hey, i disabled resizable BAR in BIOS but it didn't help, problem seems to be elsewhere...

Greetings,

Nvidia 3070 and playing on 1440p maxed settings including psycho ( except Ray Tracing lighting on Ultra ). DLSS on balanced. Frame rates ranging from 80s high to mid 40s depending on heavy scenes. As stated from majority of the players above, I would like to stress that my game runs fine as it should until I keep on opening my inventory and map screen as long as I keep playing.

This can happen straight away depending on how many times you keep on opening your map and inventory screen during your session ranging from 1 to 2 hours. After awhile it wont use full GPU power ( 220-240+ Watts ) and even worst it will degrade to low 150-170+ Watts overtime. FPS will tank from there onwards and changing graphical settings wont change anything unless I turn off Ray Tracing all together or switching to lower resolution than my native. By that time the game will become totally unstable interms of handling graphical performance and so on. At this rate restarting the game is the best option.

This is a VERY FRUSTRATING PROCESS all together because as far as I understand, I can confirm it's because of the DLSS render that causes it whenever I start opening the map/inventory screen. Doesn't make sense to me if you need 10+ GB to avoid that from happening since I can avoid it if I prevent myself from opening the map/inventory screen altogether during my session!

YES, tried different version of DLSS yet it doesn't change anything. How long will it take to FIX this....???

UPDATE*
I just wanted to confirm this problem still persist UNLESS I totally ignore opening up the MAP/INVENTORY/CRAFTING in particular.
With that said BEHOLD....I can play without any problems for hours on end smoothly if I didn't touch it or avoid it all together.

PLEASE FIX this...waited for 1.5 years after the game's incomplete/buggy mess state release to finally be able to play it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom