Frame generation stuttering on Ryzen CPUs

+

Lors

Forum regular
It seems only Ryzen CPUs are affected. I have no issues with Frame Generation in Warhammer btw.

I can somehow fix it in Cyberpunk by using the ingame FPS limiter to stay below a certain GPU utilization threshold. Seems like the heavy stuttering occurs when the GPU utilization changes between maxed out/not maxed out. But what on earth could cause this? I have tried every possible setting I can think off.

PLS look into this CDPROJECTRED! It also happens in Witcher 3 for many many people:

Last edited:
Yeah, have this issue with 4080+ryzen 7700x, I assumed it would be fixed but I guess not then. DLSS3 is basically useless with that stutter imo.

Lors

Forum regular
After switching to 13700K, FG is running fine with only a very short frametime stutter when coming out of menu (with DL-DSR enabled) and without bascially any stutter (with DL-DSR disabled) at 4K when coming out of menu.

Last edited:
I have exactly the same issue on Cyberpunk 2077. Any word on how this will be fixed. Not running DLSS3 but want to. AMD 7950x with Nvidia 4090 FE

After switching to 13700K, FG is running fine with only a very short frametime stutter when coming out of menu (with DL-DSR enabled) and without bascially any stutter (with DL-DSR disabled) at 4K when coming out of menu.

When you had your Ryzen, did it also happen randomly in the game world (not just menu exiting) ?

I was able to stop my world stutter by setting 55 fps limit in the .ini. But the menu lag is still as bad as ever. I wonder if I should just switch to Intel like you did, got 1 more week left on my 7900X return window. Sigh.

Lors

Forum regular
When you had your Ryzen, did it also happen randomly in the game world (not just menu exiting) ?

I was able to stop my world stutter by setting 55 fps limit in the .ini. But the menu lag is still as bad as ever. I wonder if I should just switch to Intel like you did, got 1 more week left on my 7900X return window. Sigh.

It can still happen depending on the area in the game and how GPU usage is changing there. The problem here with the Rzyen CPUs is that it gets out of control when GPU usage is quickly changing between maxed out / not maxed out. Ingame 99% usage - going into menu 13% usage - going back ingame and BAM GPU usage gets out of control and it stutters. You can even trigger this by looking into the sky back and forth.

You can even trigger this by looking into the sky back and forth.

Yeah that was my main test for gameplay stutter. By setting a 100-110fps limit for the specific games in NVCP or .INI this actually no longer happens for both games. The alt-tab stutter also went away. My monitor has a 120hz limit, so I just put the fps limit 10-20 under that. Which is fine since I get around 100 fps in both anyway.

All that's left is the stupid menu exiting stutter, which also only lasts half a second now after doing that tweak. Still this is all a Band-Aid fix that doesn't even entirely resolve the issue, hopefully they fix this.

sw333

Forum regular
Hi. I have 12900K stock

32 GB 2x16 GB DDR4 3600mhz

Palit Gamerock Pro OC rtx 4090

1300W Seasonic Platinum Prime

Aorus Elite DDR4 Z690

Windows 11 2H22. Updated new nvidia drivers.

I am using FRAME GENERATION ON,DLSS OFF. I have between 110-140fps. Gpu usage is 95-98%. But from time to time i have stutter for a second and gpu usage drops to 90% for a moment. Is this game issue or its me?

Lors

Forum regular
More like a game issue. CP has still some frametime hiccups from time to time. Overall pretty rarely though.

I get the occasional stutter since game version 1.6+.
Never had any stutter before.
(Ryzen 5600X / RTX 3070)

7950x3d owner here with a 4090 … the first time I ran the benchmark I got a whopping 182fps and buttery smooth (21:9 maxed out). But the second time I ran the same benchmark it was stuttering like crazy … menus were slow to transition etc … sometime if I allow the benchmark to carry on with the stuttering there is a point where the stuttering disappears and it’s smooth sailing. CDPR needs to fix this

7950x3d owner here with a 4090 … the first time I ran the benchmark I got a whopping 182fps and buttery smooth (21:9 maxed out). But the second time I ran the same benchmark it was stuttering like crazy … menus were slow to transition etc … sometime if I allow the benchmark to carry on with the stuttering there is a point where the stuttering disappears and it’s smooth sailing. CDPR needs to fix this

With Frame Gen on, do you get the stutter when any leaving menu (for example inventory or talent scree)? Wondering if core parking fixed this in X3D chips for CDPR games.

With Frame Gen on, do you get the stutter when any leaving menu (for example inventory or talent scree)? Wondering if core parking fixed this in X3D chips for CDPR games.
Ok so my amd chipset drives were not installed properly I guess … reinstalled and in game no stuttering

But …
in the start up video sequence there is stuttering but once hitting space to get to the menu all smooth sailing. In resource manager the one chiplet is parked

Ok so my amd chipset drives were not installed properly I guess … reinstalled and in game no stuttering

But …
in the start up video sequence there is stuttering but once hitting space to get to the menu all smooth sailing. In resource manager the one chiplet is parked

Nice seems like x3d is immune due to core parking.

Ok so got rid of the stutter on the intro … in the nvidia control panel under manage 3d settings there is an option for “max frame rate” … I just set it to my monitors refresh which is 144hz

Ok so got rid of the stutter on the intro … in the nvidia control panel under manage 3d settings there is an option for “max frame rate” … I just set it to my monitors refresh which is 144hz
Nice one. Out of interest , what was it before?

So, will this be fixed when the new path tracing update comes? Otherwise I guess there will be no path tracing for us ryzen owners :| (unless you can live with the stutter ofc)

The same issue, I can't believe that they didn't see this one coming. 7950x, 32gb ram, 4090 and the stutter with DLSS3 turned on is horrendous.

Just changed to 7800X3D. Still getting the insane stuttering when using DLSS 3.0 Frame Gen. Only in CP and TW3.

Fix this CDRP....

In a similar situation; just upgraded from a 10850k to a 7900x and I’m being plagued by the stuttering when exiting menus and during cutscenes when I have frame generation enabled. Turn off frame gen and the problem is gone. Be very nice to get an update from CDPR on this, at least to have them acknowledge the problem.

Top Bottom