Funny Stuff, little secrets, eastereggs...

+
At a certain point, when you 'unmask' the first villain in this game, you get a journal entry 'Fake No More'. That reminded me of the group "Faith No More"

Nadril said:
Some info about Gabriel's (from book - my translation so it can lack in grama and writing skills):Miniature crossbows were developed and manufactured by man known as Gabriel - craftsman from Verden. He advertised them with a catch phrase * "Protect yourself yourself." "All around there are banditry and violence", every poster said. "The law enforcers are helpless and incompetent. Protect yourself yourself! Do not leave your house without the handy "Gabriel" crossbow. Gabriel is your guardian. Gabriel will protect from bandits both you and your beloved ones. "Sales were excessively high. The raid-handy Gabriels were soon enough used by every bandit in the realm.* - "Protect yourself yourself" = "Defend yourself on your own" = "Save yourself by yourself"It was difficult to translate the Polish slogan "Obroń sie sam" directly, keeping the chacteristic features of a catch phrase (not long, not complicated, easy to remember)
No worries about your English. Mine isn't flawless either.That translation is very much appreciated and it is great to know this. It feels sometimes like an empty hole when you find something that has more meaning than meets the eye and you can't put the finger on it due lack of background knowledge.

'Vizima Confidential' probably is a wink to the book/movie L.A. Confidential: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L.A._Confidential

In Act 3, the first quest given by Sigfried is called "Six feet under" wich is a death metal band. Ironically the quest takes you to the cemetary.Also in Act 3 Kalsteins bed is missing. And replaced with a bench.

Liemann said:
In Act 3, the first quest given by Sigfried is called "Six feet under" wich is a death metal band. Ironically the quest takes you to the cemetary.Also in Act 3 Kalsteins bed is missing. And replaced with a bench.
I dunno why, but I think this is more related ::) http://www.hbo.com/sixfeetunder/

TheDraconicLord said:
TheDraconicLord said:
I dunno why, but I think this is more related ::) http://www.hbo.com/sixfeetunder/
I never watch TV.On a 2nd note, plenty of the quests can be associated with alot of things.. Just like Nostradameus..

In chapter III in the party at New Naracort, the princess' favorite food is Catoblepas! I am not suprised most people don't recognize that one, but Catoblepas was a monster in 2nd Ed. Dungeons and Dragons. It was super ugly, and very unpopular in the game and never made it into any D&D based computer game. So, here is the homage to it! I loved it!

I faintly remember the Catoblepas :) icky things...Our DM used to threaten us to let one spawn if we keep sipping all his beer

Not sure if its intended or just a bad translation, but the creatures in the swamp called Bloedzuiger, it is dutch for what we know as Leech (well, it resembles a leech, thats for sure ;))

In the inn just before Triss teleports you away in act 3 you hear "I once saw a mage teleport without his legs" ROFL :D

Siborg said:
In the inn just before Triss teleports you away in act 3 you hear "I once saw a mage teleport without his legs" ROFL :D
I hear a similar joke in a lot of games with teleports. In Half Life 2, before the first teleport scene, Barney says: "I still have dreams about that cat. Ugh."

I didn't notice this mentioned, but the whole "ten sephiroth stones" quest to open the tower is a rip from Focault's Pendulum:
Foucault's Pendulum is divided into ten segments represented by the ten Sefiroth. The novel is full of esoteric references to the Kabbalah, alchemy and conspiracy theory, so many that critic and novelist Anthony Burgess has suggested that it needed an index. The title of the book derives from an actual pendulum designed by the French physicist Léon Foucault to demonstrate the rotation of the earth.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foucault%27s_Pendulum_%28book%29

Tlazolteotl said:
The book written by Marco Knopf ... was it meant to be a Dire Straits reference? :D
Yes, I thought so too... It's hardly a coincidence - I don't think there's a lot of people out there named Marc Knopf(ler) :)

Top Bottom