Game Crashes, gpuApiDX12Error.cpp(42) GPU crash for unkonwn reasons

+
I've checked in the BIOS and the PcI-e was set to "Auto" and i changed it to Gen 3.0 to see if that changed anything. I'm not sure if that was the right place to change that setting though. Im using an Asus Motherboard (ROG B550-E). It didnt change anything
You could download Gpu-z and run it too se what pci-e your using. Run the render test too be sure its reporting it right.
Windows is fully updated?
DDU has a feature that disabled windows own download of gfx driver. On nvdia atleast it can happend that it downloads and installs it 2 times and it can mess it up. Not sure about AMD. I always use DDU in safe mode too just too be sure, and never hade a issue with drivers.

You could download Gpu-z and run it too se what pci-e your using. Run the render test too be sure its reporting it right.
Windows is fully updated?
DDU has a feature that disabled windows own download of gfx driver. On nvdia atleast it can happend that it downloads and installs it 2 times and it can mess it up. Not sure about AMD. I always use DDU in safe mode too just too be sure, and never hade a issue with drivers.
Gpu-z sais this:
1668465099135.png

I've attached the GPU-z Sensor Log from when I ran the render test to the post, i'm uncertain how to confirm if its reported right, or what PCIe it should be.

I'll try DDU tomorrow after work, thanks for the tip.
Post automatically merged:

I've run DDU and deintalled the drivers in safe mode, then reinstalled the latest AMD driver while still being disonnected to the Internet, to prevent WIndows from downloading something i dont want or need.

I then booted up Cyberpunk and ran the Benchmark on "High" settings. It ran stable with 120 fps for 10-20 seconds and then crashed with the same error.

Attachments

• GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt
    14.1 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
I then booted up Cyberpunk and ran the Benchmark on "High" settings. It ran stable with 120 fps for 10-20 seconds and then crashed with the same error.
Have you tested disabling XMP/DOCP(amds thingy for ram speeds in bios.)? seems too work for some issues. Nvm i saw you hade tested it already. Some other questions: Your running the game of an SSD? Is it set too that in the options of the game? Does other benchmarks or anything crash(for example 3dmark, heavenbench)? tested setting particle lighting ingame settings too low or high?

From the pastebin it seems too start failing at:
  1. Breadcrumbs: Command list '[ 9567: 44] [000002475E992A60 Default] Skin_Post_and_Forward_Opaque': Not started [2]

Last edited:
Have you tested disabling XMP/DOCP(amds thingy for ram speeds in bios.)? seems too work for some issues. Nvm i saw you hade tested it already. Some other questions: Your running the game of an SSD? Is it set too that in the options of the game? Does other benchmarks or anything crash(for example 3dmark, heavenbench)? tested setting particle lighting ingame settings too low or high?

From the pastebin it seems too start failing at:
  1. Breadcrumbs: Command list '[ 9567: 44] [000002475E992A60 Default] Skin_Post_and_Forward_Opaque': Not started [2]

I've originally installed it on an HDD and then moved it to my SSD to see if that'd change anything. Just checked the setting and it was set to "Auto" , assuming you ment the Option called "HDD mode" or something. I tried running the game on SSD with HDD mode turned off, still crashed, same error.

Nothing else has crashed, every other game and benchmark I*ve tried ran flawlessly. I have tried running Cyberpunk at the lowest possible settings and it'd still crash, with the same error. (I dont own so many Games, none that comes close to Cyberpunk in terms of load to the Hardware. I've tried Metro:Last Light Redux, Mount and Blade Bannerlord II, Warhammer Vermentide II and DayZ, all of them ran flawlessly. AMD Adrenaline also has a stress test feature where i could watch the GPU being used, temps going up etc, hear the fan but no crash or anything, I'm 99% certain that my GPU is fine and that the issues lies with Cyberpunk...)

I just tried the heavenbench- i think, It was some older version for Dx11 (newer cost money?), but it ran smoothly with 120-300 fps.

Regarding the Breadcrumbs; I've kept sending those reports to CDPR and also to the Person whos replied to my support request, so hopefully these breadcrumbs lead them somewhere! :D

Last edited:
I've originally installed it on an HDD and then moved it to my SSD to see if that'd change anything. Just checked the setting and it was set to "Auto" , assuming you ment the Option called "HDD mode" or something. I tried running the game on SSD with HDD mode turned off, still crashed, same error.

Nothing else has crashed, every other game and benchmark I*ve tried ran flawlessly. I have tried running Cyberpunk at the lowest possible settings and it'd still crash, with the same error. (I dont own so many Games, none that comes close to Cyberpunk in terms of load to the Hardware. I've tried Metro:Last Light Redux, Mount and Blade Bannerlord II, Warhammer Vermentide II and DayZ, all of them ran flawlessly. AMD Adrenaline also has a stress test feature where i could watch the GPU being used, temps going up etc, hear the fan but no crash or anything, I'm 99% certain that my GPU is fine and that the issues lies with Cyberpunk...)

I just tried the heavenbench- i think, It was some older version for Dx11 (newer cost money?), but it ran smoothly with 120-300 fps.

Regarding the Breadcrumbs; I've kept sending those reports to CDPR and also to the Person whos replied to my support request, so hopefully these breadcrumbs lead them somewhere! :D
Ok, there were some issue with one of the settings that could cause crashes and odd behavior in 1.5 or something, but if you have tested all settings on low and it still crashed that cant be the issue. Have you installed it on the SSD directly now? might wanna try that if not. Also its best too not use the default (C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games for example) i generally make a C:\Games or something. Does it crash without RT on?

Ok, there were some issue with one of the settings that could cause crashes and odd behavior in 1.5 or something, but if you have tested all settings on low and it still crashed that cant be the issue. Have you installed it on the SSD directly now? might wanna try that if not. Also its best too not use the default (C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games for example) i generally make a C:\Games or something. Does it crash without RT on?

I have done a completely fresh reinstall of the game (steam cloud off etc.) according to CDPRs instruction on my SSD, no change. It on C:\SteamLibrary - (or before D:\Games\Steam etc.) so no issues there.

I assume you mean Ray Tracing? I have propably only had that on the first time i've launched the game, was the first thing i turned off. Just rn did another test with lowest setting everything off on ssd etc. and the benchmark crashed before i could see any ingame images. Same error code.

Hmm. Yea running out of ideas fast, you might try too reinstall directx and the other distributebles. Should not be the issue tho but..

Never used mods? last shot... mods might save variables in save games but it should not be crashing your benchmark so very very shot in the dark.

I think i had a texture replacement or something simliar when i played it the first time, a couple of years ago. Was rather soon after the game first came out.

But yeah, the game crashes regardless of Savegame, new Game or Benchmark.

bit of a necro but I did want to post an update in case someone else is having a similiar issue.

While the GPU seemed to be working fine in most games, even taxing ones like Read Dead Redemption 2, and every benchmark i tried, i did end up having more crashes in different games and eventually sent the card back. After a few weeks they found out that the card was in fact broken and i got my money back.

Huge thanks to the community and CDPR support for doing their best to help. I now have a new card with which the game runs flawlessly.

Seeing how you have an Asus motherboard, do a search in bios for PCI Express Native Power Management. If its enabled, disable it and see if the crashes stop. Not sure what the setting is called on AMD boards.

EDIT: that setting might only be relevant to Intel motherboards.

Top Bottom