Game Journalism - Unfit for purpose?

+

Game Journalism - Unfit for purpose?

• Total voters
[video=youtube;nkEVDnV0-LE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkEVDnV0-LE[/video]

Gamers are once again the evuls. You've gotta love these plump, white, middle class female SJWs being so injured.

Fucking hell, it's the same thing everywhere, a bunch of posh bastards getting offended for other peoples sake, even better, these people love to actually talk shite themselves under the illusion that they are somehow fighting the system -.-

[video=youtube;nkEVDnV0-LE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkEVDnV0-LE[/video]

Gamers are once again the evuls. You've gotta love these plump, white, middle class female SJWs being so injured.

This is serious? if so fucking hell... time to finally buy this katana, I might to need it soon.

Meanwhile, on the other side... this happened.

Full 3 hours video in description

Too optimistic in my opinion, but at least this kind of feminist don't show up in our media so often yet.

Speaking of scandalous things...
Let's hope it stays like that ^^

.............................................What the actual fuck?!?!

OK - The thread has drifted, probably due to our attention being elsewhere, but it's time to get back on-topic.

And shocking or not, I think there's some places we won't go. News articles reporting on it are probably fair game though.

OK - The thread has drifted, probably due to our attention being elsewhere, but it's time to get back on-topic.
Would it be on-topic to bring up one of the biggest GG detractors recently being shown to be a literal pedophile? On one hand, it has nothing to do with journalism, but at the same time these people are the biggest obstacles to actually changing things, so they make themselves (semi-) relevant to the topic at hand. Especially insofar as their hypocrisy undermines their arguments and aids in moving the conversation at large away from the fringe crazies back to the point of all of this.

Would it be on-topic to bring up one of the biggest GG detractors recently being shown to be a literal pedophile? On one hand, it has nothing to do with journalism, but at the same time these people are the biggest obstacles to actually changing things, so they make themselves (semi-) relevant to the topic at hand. Especially insofar as their hypocrisy undermines their arguments and aids in moving the conversation at large away from the fringe crazies back to the point of all of this.

Well, that was the post concerned (I see that Damariel has re-edited, so that may not be clear any more). And yes, I did watch the video before removing the link. Moderator privilege and all that.

In the context of THIS thread, and THIS forum, our general approach has been that it shouldn't be used for discussing or repeating accusations of a personal nature about individuals, regardless of whether or not they're considered true. There's plenty of other places to have those conversations.

But as I said in the previous post, what WOULD be on-topic is the way this is being covered in the media (or not being covered, I haven't been following it so I don't know). Discussing hypocrisy is borderline - use your judgement. (And stay away from my own hypocrisy in watching that video before deleting the link)

The main thing I want to avoid is five pages of "shock, horror, this person is a pedophile". Because then I'd need to delete all the posts and ban some people, and I'm feeling lazy and would prefer to avoid that.

Last edited:
Moderator privilege
Did you remember to check it? I've been told that's a thing you have to do with privilege lest you become some kind of shadow monster that preys on the innocent.

I didn't see that it had already been brought up. Not sure if it was edited before I read through here or just a lapse in my own reading comprehension, but at least now I have a better understanding of where the lines are. The frustrating thing is that bringing up how the news treats this bizarre revelation (or doesn't, as it happens) is really a non-point because it'd be the same kind of clickbait/muckraking we've decried if they covered it, so the absence of coverage isn't automatically a negative thing worth pointing out despite the likelihood that the reasons behind this sudden unwillingness to cover such things are political maneuvering rather than anything ethical.

Moral high ground is haaaaaard. Anyway, it might still be worth a mention that the way these things are or aren't covered in the gaming press is still completely unequal, and the people driving the narrative—including the individual in question who I'll keep unnamed—are all too willing to pile on anyone perceived as against them for the slightest slights, real or imagined, and tie it into their narrative while we're unable to chip away at them for the same despite there being overwhelming amounts of evidence that many of these people are living embodiments of every societal ill they decry. It's bizarre that being dissatisfied with the ethical standards in gaming press automatically earns one all kinds of ugly titles (MRA! Neo-con! Rape apologist! Sockpuppet! Misogynist!) from those who are actually guilty of those things and worse.

(Feel free to delete if too close to the line; I know it's probably dangerously close.)

I think I'd agree that non-coverage doesn't necessary mean anything, my concerns are on two other ways that this could be handled.

Firstly, any attempt to whitewash it, for others to be vocal in denying the possibility, or claiming it's pure fiction, unless they have actual evidence that it's false.
Secondly, "guilt by association" works both ways, and this is one person, not everyone. No matter how many times anti-gamergaters used those tactics, I really hope NOT to see an outburst of "revenge generalising"

Yeah, moral high ground sucks. And I don't get to delete your post. Dammit. I thought that "use your judgement" was GUARANTEED to work.

Secondly, "guilt by association" works both ways, and this is one person, not everyone. No matter how many times anti-gamergaters used those tactics, I really hope NOT to see an outburst of "revenge generalising"
Yeah, that's always a consideration. I like to think of myself as a pretty level-headed person (except for when I'm not) and even I had to take a vacation from the GOG thread on the topic not so long ago because of the bitterness turning my posts a bit hostile.

That said, I can think of three other examples of prominent people on "the other side" admitting to similar wrongdoing (and there's more than what I can recall off-hand). Perhaps not anything quite as immediately revolting as the most recent case, but doxxing and covering up sexual assault, so still some pretty serious stuff. Obviously not everyone with those people's views are guilty of the same things, but a remarkable number of the prominent figures who helped shape the narrative and create this whole fiasco in the first place are guilty of similarly ugly things. I think it's worth pointing out if only to force some people to question how objective and based in reality the "facts" they've been fed really are, but I don't blame you for being wary. If nothing else, the past year has demonstrated that there's a surprisingly thin line between "something bad happened" and "EVERYONE YOU DON'T LIKE IS A MONSTER AND YOU ARE A RIGHTEOUS WARRIOR OF GOODNESS WHO MUST STAND AGAINST THEIR VILLAINY!"

And I don't get to delete your post. Dammit. I thought that "use your judgement" was GUARANTEED to work.

(I see that Damariel has re-edited, so that may not be clear any more)

Well, after thinking things through I decided that this video isn't appropriate for this place (that's why I re-edited my post when you deleted video from it)... I admit, I should've use some screenshot about it or just mention it... my point through stands. One of major "Anti-GG" figures (as stupid as name "Anti-GG" sounds) is pretty much confirmed pedophile. How ironic it must be.

The video is still out there on LeoPirate channel (with links to everything in it's description) if anyone want to see it. So sorry @Dragonbird for making your work harder, I'll think twice now and no hard feelings I hope.

Last edited:
Even though it was just a slap on the wrist, at least it's setting a precedent for Youtube to be treated the same way as mainstream media.

Top Bottom