Game Mechanics - Expand, Enhance Existing Play, incl. Optional Grind.

+
I've been playing since launch, and I've loved it since launch, bugs and all, but after several playthroughs, I've thought of a few things that would expand immersion without a lot of hassle. That's my opinion as a non-programmer, so it's entirely possible I'm full of it. I also recognize that for those who aren't interested in multiple playthroughs, or who hate grindy missions, a lot of this will be a non-starter. I'm thinking more about the people who want an excuse to spend more time in Night City and get more out of it.

Cars for the Nomads.
There are a lot -- A LOT -- of stray cars around Night City, and cars are the lifeblood of the Aldecaldos. For people who enjoy driving (and the game caters significantly to those people already) why not introduce a mechanic where autos can be repurposed through the tech/engineering tree, or by taking them to Dakota's to be "scrubbed" and made useful for the Aldecaldos, or be stripped for spare parts? The more vehicles you supply, the stronger the Aldecaldos are. They can stand up better against the Shiv, Panam has a stronger argument against Saul's agreement with Biotechnica, and if you choose the nomads to help you in the endgame, fewer of them will die.

Randomly Generated NCPD Subcon Missions.
Why can't these just go on forever? It's not quite believable that V has ended crime in Night City all by her lonesome. It would also be easier to complete personal goals with the extra revenue generated by these missions, especially if you're replaying and want to skip some of the more tedious side stories.

More Romance Interactions.
I know this is possible because one guy in his basement has created a mod that expands all romances significantly. I'd propose more than that. V should be able to initiate more conversations via text or in person or start branching conversation threads. Love interests should be reaching out more. The update helped with this a TON, and I especially love Judy's texts that reveal her cutesy side. Expanded physical affection in multiple scenarios, even if it's just kissing and hugging, or even bumping into them randomly in the city. I once found Judy's van parked halfway across Night City and I spent an hour trying to find her before realizing it wasn't intentional. How cool would it have been to bump into her in a shop or just walking around and have a quick exchange?

I do like the idea of making these romances more interesting via specific, targeted DLCs. Anything to augment my imagination.

Faction Alliances.
This is only implied a couple of times with interactions with the Scavs and Maelstrom, but when V has street cred over 50 you'd think word would get around a little more. If the Claws are having a turf war with the Scavs, can V enhance her rewards from Wakako by choosing to side with the Claws, leaving them alive in conflicts while wiping out the competition? Same with the NCPD. Maybe helping out those conflicts would yield more and better rewards from subcon missions. There are dozens of ways to make this mechanic pay off without compromising V's status as an independent merc. It might also give you a chance to get to know the gangs in a different way. I mean... I kinda like Dum Dum, and the 6th Street party was pretty cool - ESPECIALLY if you do it late in the game after you spend some time beating the crap out of them on their turf. That's the kind of thing I mean, but for each group, corps included.

Kills vs. incapacitations would be more meaningful here too, more than just a player preference, and add new challenges to encounters.

More contracts from Rogue.
I don't see this as an excuse to add missions so much as a developmental storyline. I never liked the fact that in some endings V just hops over Rogue's head. It makes no sense. Is V a merc or a fixer? What's Rogue doing when V takes over in the Afterlife? There's missing storyline here, and while I appreciate the effort that goes into setting up missions, and the logistics of getting the voice actors back on board, but linking V's growth to a direct connection with the Afterlife fits the plot, even if you end up going with the Nomads in the end.

In-Game Minigames.
I don't mean the Roach Race, which is ok, I mean things like the Cars for Nomads, but smaller in scope. Akin to Beat on the Brat, but less involved (and less frustrating without a full-body build). Timed courier runs, open-ended quests, collecting certain guns for Wilson, Private Investigations, like the one for the Peralez' only less dialog-driven... more like the Bartmos quest.

Strip the conquered.
I don't mean this as pervy as it sounds, but I saved it for last so people didn't dismiss the rest out of hand. The game isn't afraid of a little nakey anyway, but my intent is a little more immersion by looting the weapons and clothing your enemies are actually using instead of "hey this guy had a trenchcoat in his back pocket!" And it would be easier to identify looted baddies if that Militech soldier is left in his boxers instead of his full uniform. I get that equipping every enemy with their drops is probably an insane mechanic, but as long as I'm dreaming, I'm going to go for it.

Last edited:
I understand you argument for the romance expanding, but as a 3d animator you have to remember, all of these interactions have to be either animated and/or motion captured (which means people have to the action in real life and that gets edited and put into the game) and some things like the really intimate scenes have to be fully animated, and animating something can take days alone, but those types of animations are especially difficult, because there’s a lot of touching and physics (very hard stuff) so while technically yes it COULD be done , i wouldn’t get hopes up, at least not for a while, and also I understand your character is a she, but other players may have V as a he, so that’s also a consideration to make, you can’t have all the animations tailored to a female V, and making sexual animations like that can be pretty uncomfortable especially for those who might be grossed out by stuff like guy on guy or girl on girl.

I understand you argument for the romance expanding, but as a 3d animator you have to remember, all of these interactions have to be either animated and/or motion captured (which means people have to the action in real life and that gets edited and put into the game) and some things like the really intimate scenes have to be fully animated, and animating something can take days alone, but those types of animations are especially difficult, because there’s a lot of touching and physics (very hard stuff) so while technically yes it COULD be done , i wouldn’t get hopes up, at least not for a while, and also I understand your character is a she, but other players may have V as a he, so that’s also a consideration to make, you can’t have all the animations tailored to a female V, and making sexual animations like that can be pretty uncomfortable especially for those who might be grossed out by stuff like guy on guy or girl on girl.
On the other hand, almost anyone in the staff could perform these animations, having the overall desired physicality, mindset (not being grossed out), along with proper direction, they wouldn't need to call the original physical actors in my opinion. Especially because these scenes are done in very short sequences of movement.

Top Bottom