Gaunter O'Dimm vs Maraal

+
Both 5 power, both can destroy a unit over 2 turns but one costs 12p while the other 9p.
Also poison has more synergies than doomed, so what's up with that?

Long version then: you poison a unit, it can be reanimated via renew, necromancy, skellige, etc.
Gaunter puts a doomed tag on deploy. If he sticks he not only destroys the unit, it also banishes it. If he doesn't stick, the unit still gets banished at the end of the round and cannot be played from graveyard.
Does that justify a 3 provision difference? I don't know, but on its own, Gaunter is better than Maraal. Now yes, if a unit already has poison, Maraal kills on deploy and sets up another poison.

Does that justify a 3 provision difference? I don't know, but on its own, Gaunter is better than Maraal.

The advantage of Gaunter only works against decks that can revive units and even then it doesn't always matter, thus making Maraal better overall because he has lower provisions and better synergy.

Gaunter was mostly played with Foltest when he could get zeal out of him.
Now overall, it's kinda like everytime an expansion arrives, you get a better version of existing cards like Betsy who is better than Regis who is better than Ifrit... Not saying it's normal, I agree that something should be done about this.
Post automatically merged:

The advantage of Gaunter only works against decks that can revive units and even then it doesn't always matter, thus making Maraal better overall because he has lower provisions and better synergy.
Or decks that play roach in NG/flying redanian/crowmother/pavella. But I totally agree that I wouldn't use a 12p card to prevent my oponent from getting those 3-4 points.

Also against big monsters to stop Ozzrel and it prevents deathwish to trigger. Maybe others
But Gaunter hasn't been changed since forever so it's a bit outdated and probably not worth 12 p

Last edited:
And this concludes our lesson on Free to Play software economics...always have a better option available for purchase.

... why hello, Teppen.

#consolereparations

Does that justify a 3 provision difference? I don't know, but on its own, Gaunter is better than Maraal. Now yes, if a unit already has poison, Maraal kills on deploy and sets up another poison.

Maraal is objectively better right now, they do the same thing in slightly different ways, each being better in a specific niche, however having a poison on the field is more often favorable than having doomed.

Personally, I learn more towards Gaunter over the idea of double poison. Being able to tag something with Doomed is great to prevent unit abuse. No more phoenix, revival roach (looking at you Nilfgaard), eating/flinging massive creatures in graveyard and similar tactics. Gaunter doesn't even need to survive to cripple these tactics! Poison won't stop any of this and can actually give them more ammo if you're especially unlucky. If Gaunter survives the second turn (which he will if you played smart) it's a free permanent kill.

Poison is nice short-term but don't underestimate the crazy things that can happen from the graveyard. Especially in arena!

Last edited:
I sometimes find it fun to necro old topics, considering that now both Maraal (+1p) and Gaunter (-2p) are 10p each. Since the adjustments i don't think i ever seen Gaunter played, while Maraal is still going strong in many decks, probably in top3 neutral cards.

As others have said, Maraal is currently better overall. I like Gaunter but it is quite an expensive card to have. None of my decks currently use it.

It would be nice and Gaunter would see more play if more cards played with the doomed tag. Cards that would add doom to the opponent's units or some doom synergy...

I haven't played Gaunter as much now that there are so many locks around. He is still a serious threat in Arena if you can find him, though! One shot kill Arnjolf the Patricide for 11 points in your favor AND chances are you opponent won't notice he was already doomed and will think something else is the target.

Gaunter is like the 1/3 taunt monkey of Hearthstone, Maraal will be that monkey one day too. :beer:

For cards that are normally revived / reused today (Crowmother, Flying Redanian, GS, Cerys) it is simpler to use Regis.
And playing it only for Ozzrel will be illogical, the worm is 13 and then there is the other one that is 10, 12, 9. For that it is better to use Lemmens and at least remove 3 units instead of one.

Certain units are already tagged as "doomed" when played, so you can mark an additional unit as "doomed" (a pesky one you don't want to see revived in the next round) and destroy the aforementioned doomed-on-deploy unit in the next turn. That's an advantage over Maraal.

Maral is also better against MO consume decks.

If you have one more poison card in your hand you can kill the second creature who has consume the firts creature poisoned by maral, using the second maral poison and the card in your hand.

If you are playing with odim, the creature consumed wont be back in next round, but his points will be consumed by another creature

Top Bottom