Harald the Cripple

+
Harald the Cripple

Love the changes!
Before I used him more often than not to just stall a turn but now he's a beast.
I've seen many opponents check his card after finding out he damages gold cards too.

gnarbrag;n7169940 said:
Love the changes!
Before I used him more often than not to just stall a turn but now he's a beast.
I've seen many opponents check his card after finding out he damages gold cards too.
Ofc you do.
Thee question is why the devs felt the need to buff Skellige?

HenryGrosmont;n7173960 said:
Ofc you do.
Thee question is why the devs felt the need to buff Skellige?

They didn't, they nerfed Skellige as it was played pre-patch. They nerfed the cards that everyone played (Birna Bran, Madman Lugos, Sigrfrida etc) and buffed some cards that were very rarely played (like Harald).

A lot of previously strong Skellige decks (like mine) were severely crippled by this patch, though I have a rather positive impression of the changes as they nerfed some stuff that was too powerful and buffed some stuff that was bad (like Harald).

jaakkeli;n7174190 said:
They didn't, they nerfed Skellige as it was played pre-patch. They nerfed the cards that everyone played (Birna Bran, Madman Lugos, Sigrfrida etc) and buffed some cards that were very rarely played (like Harald).

A lot of previously strong Skellige decks (like mine) were severely crippled by this patch, though I have a rather positive impression of the changes as they nerfed some stuff that was too powerful and buffed some stuff that was bad (like Harald).

Please. I play Skellige as well (among other decks) and the word "nerfed" isn't really applicable to them.

The problem with Skellige is the archetypes as they relate to each other, not to other factions. Discard/Rez is the overwhelming majority (like 80%) of SK decks [those being self-wound, control, and discard]. Harold got buffed, so we'll have to see how much that affects it, but for now I'd like the priority to be making the lesser played (and by that, I mean practically nonexistent) archetypes to be viable next to Discard.

Harold wasn't really enough, since I see him played with a Discard deck since he combos well with war longships.

The power of SK to the other factions is, I believe, not as serious a problem as the SK archetypes among themselves.

I expected more of him. He is good, hands down the best leader of the faction IMO, but not OP neither game breaking, specially in a control meta, it may be difficult to capitalize on that ability.

Anyways, skellige isnt as strong as people think.

I actually think Harald is a bit too strong, as he can even damage golden units. With stuff like Yennefer you can even kill stuff like Aglais. I'd like Harald to work on your units as well, or cast a stammelford's tremors on your side, so that warcry is more used at the same time.

He is my main leader and at first I thought he was left a bit OP, but come to think, the build-up required to actually make his effect a game changer, balances him in a sort of way.

LordOcampo;n7203390 said:
He is my main leader and at first I thought he was left a bit OP, but come to think, the build-up required to actually make his effect a game changer, balances him in a sort of way.
Please, no built-up is required. And the icing on the cake is adding Yennefer to your deck.

He definitely shouldnt hit golds and i think he can be tweaked to capitalize more on wounding archetype, imo a -4 for wounding units and -1 for non-woundings would be perfect for that archetype and prevent him for being auto-include on pretty much any skellige deck as he is right now. Or maybe just make so the -2 hits all the board like someone already stated.

How about hits every non wounded unit by 2 on both side and all wounded units by 4 on the opponent only? That way this would benefit more self wounding deck and stop the auto include for the other type of decks. This would be more difficult to chain a dbomb+Harald as well as this would mean not being wounded anymore on your side, which means all harald would do would be exactly the same as the bronze tremor . It's like an ameliorated version of tremor specially tailored toward self wounding.

Why should he not damage Gold units?

Is it because leaders don't "do" that? They do - Radovid.
Is it because there are too many "Damage Gold" available to Skellige? He's the only one (the rest available to Skellige are Neutral and NR has more).
Is it specifically the combination of of Yen and Harald that is the issue? Then say this combination is the issue, not the fact that Harald can damage Gold in general.

Harald folds hard to NR "All Golden" archetype since the regular (Bronze/Silver) units can't damage Gold - only Yen/Triss can - and only more advanced players will have those cards or you have to invest 1600 Scrap just to get these two if you are trying to build that deck (not to mention the the cost of the rest of the deck).

I do have Yen in my Harald deck (No Triss though) and I don't often get Yen in hand (since it really is a Damage based deck, not a discard deck that happens to have Yen and Harald). If him doing 3 damage to Gold units that Yen has already weakened is the problem, then let's discuss how to manage that interaction rather than generalize that a reasonable leader is completely over-the-top when it is one interaction that seems to be the problem.

I would suggest something like:

Remove 3 STR from all opposing weakened non-gold units, remove 2 STR from all other opposing non-gold units and weakened Gold units, and remove 1 STR from other opposing Gold units. (this moves Gold to a 2/1 set-up and keeps the 3/2 for non-gold - it seems reasonable on paper)

With obvious other iterations to test being:

Remove 3 STR from all opposing weakened non-gold units, remove 2 STR from all other opposing non-gold units and weakened Gold units. (This one would make it so that only weakened gold were affected, but are affected less than non-gold. Unweakened Gold are unaffected.)

Remove 3 STR from all opposing weakened non-gold units, remove 2 STR from all other opposing non-gold units, and remove 1 STR from opposing Gold units. (This would ensure all gold are affected, but if they are weakened or not is irrelevant. They would all be treated the same, a flat 1 STR which is only strong against the one deck that Harald is already extremely weak against. It doesn't even remove the entire +2 buff NR gives its Gold units.)

I love both, Laveley's and Zephyris' suggestions. To add, I'd go with 1 to non-gold non-wounded and 3-4 to all wounded. On the opponent's side ofc.

Treamayne;n7207620 said:
Why should he not damage Gold units?

Hmmm... to be fair, except for Yen indeed who does it on both side, there is not a single unit in the game that can damage gold units in zone properly. It's either damage in zone non gold (Igni, Villentretenmerth, Philippa, Draug) or damage single target that can be gold (Iorverth, Triss, Roche, Radovid, Imlerith ) . Philippa and Draug on that point were exceptions and has been changed. Imlerith still does a bit of splash damage but nothing really noticeable. Yen does it on both side including herself so that feels more acceptable.

But then this makes Harald useless against a control deck that pretty much only has gold on the board. Not many leaders become useless completely against some opponents. Far less effective yes (and that's already the case for Harald if the opponent is control scoia in particular), but completely useless, not that much cases.

HenryGrosmont;n7207710 said:
I love both, Laveley's and Zephyris' suggestions. To add, I'd go with 1 to non-gold non-wounded and 3-4 to all wounded. On the opponent's side ofc.
Could be okay too, as that would still make it a fine synergy with bears as well.

Last edited:
I didn't mind the previous version were you had to work more so Harald is of any use. It fit the self wounding archetype very well!

But for example -1 to non-wounded-units and -3 to all wounded units would seem like a good compromise to me.

Zefyris;n7207940 said:
Hmmm... to be fair, except for Yen indeed who does it on both side, there is not a single unit in the game that can damage gold units in zone properly. It's either damage in zone non gold (Igni, Villentretenmerth, Philippa, Draug) or damage single target that can be gold (Iorverth, Triss, Roche, Radovid, Imlerith ) . Philippa and Draug on that point were exceptions and has been changed. Imlerith still does a bit of splash damage but nothing really noticeable. Yen does it on both side including herself so that feels more acceptable.

True, however in an average game (not specifically a match-up to Scoia'tel Control or Henselt) you get the following numbers:

Radovid: up to -8 Gold STR if Opp has at least 1 Gold unit
Iorverth: up to -6 Gold STR if Opp has at least 1 Gold unit
Roche: up to -5 Gold STR if Opp has at least 1 Gold unit
Triss: up to -4 Gold STR if Opp has at least 1 Gold unit

These three are the closest matches to each other, as they all rely on the opponent having multiple Gold units to get the best "Value"
Yen: -2 Gold STR if Opp has 1 Gold unit; up to -8 if they have 4 Gold Units (and you get the same)
Imlerith: -3 Gold STR if Opp has 1 Gold unit; up to -6 if they have 4 Gold units that all happen to be on the same row
Harald: -2 Gold STR if Opp has 1 Gold unit; up to -8 if they have 4 Gold units

Barring the combo Harald is, at best, equal to Radovid (both Leaders). His Damage ability is better than Yen's, but the point of Yen's card is versatility (Unicorn option can't be ignored) so he should be better at Damage than a card that is more versatile. Imlerith is the weakest of the Gold Damaging units, but he is also built as more of a counter to spawning strategies (not just Breedable, but Margarita and Isengrim). Part of the onus does have to go on the opponent. Barring huge "gold" strategies, if you see a Harald across from you then you should make sure you aren't playing all of your Gold units in the same round (just as you would expect no car advantage from Cir if sitting across from Radovid).

To me, mitigating the Yen/Harald synergy is still the issue, not necessarily how Harald interacts with Gold units in general.

Zefyris;n7207480 said:
How about hits every non wounded unit by 2 on both side and all wounded units by 4 on the opponent only? That way this would benefit more self wounding deck and stop the auto include for the other type of decks. This would be more difficult to chain a dbomb+Harald as well as this would mean not being wounded anymore on your side, which means all harald would do would be exactly the same as the bronze tremor . It's like an ameliorated version of tremor specially tailored toward self wounding.

Don't you think that is too much of a Buff for Harald? Right now he has to pack 2-3 Tremors or other mass wounding cards if he wants to go in that direction. If you include that effect in his ability, there is no need to play those cards and you are opening multiple deck spots (because he can rely on his power performing double duty rather than needing cards in the deck dedicated to enacting the strategy). I really don't think he should self-damage, it strengthens his main line of play and removes any other options you can build with him - limiting variety and strengthening the build where he is strongest.

He can damage Gold units as an offset because leader cards are always revealed. You can constantly account for an opponent's Harold card for each and every round. I always try to force my opponent into using Harold by tempting him with a lot of units first and second rounds, while also using his ability to my advantage when he plays. Weakened units have incredible potential. Warcry as an underrated example.

Top Bottom