Harebrained Schemes' Shadowrun games

+
If new cities will keep coming out then I'd like to see the world of Shadowrun in South America (Buenos Aires would be a great choice, or Sao Paulo) and Africa (Cairo, Lagos, Casablanca).

It's too bad Seattle was their first and more simplistic campaign. They should go back to it and emphasize on the duality of the corporate world vs. the native american spirit world.

Last edited:
Okay.

Anyway, to bring this back to the topic of the actual game, they said that you're basically starting over again, no character imports. I don't know how I feel about that. I mean, I know Dragonfall did the same thing, and it gives them more freedom to explore different settings and characters, but I do also appreciate a longer narrative that spans over several games, I feel like it allows the player to establish a deeper connection with the characters and the story.

Well, do what I do - recreate your character for the new game. For Hong Kong, Corpse, savagely denuded of his cybernetics and skills after that last horrible anteloping, will start again. Now, he is no longer the cynical opportunist he was at the start of SRR or the burned-out ex-professional at the start of Dragonfall. Now, he is a trusting, decent Troll trying to make the world a better place! Only, you know, with Troll-size everything.

Mixing cyberpunk with fantasy is like blending farts with scratching on a chalkboard.

Shutup. I hate you .

Did you even -try- the damn game? I've a mind to start a CPunk campaign and then, just when you vermin are really getting into it, pop the Awakening and Goblinization in the game. Ahahaaha!

Shadowrun is still pretty cyberpunk, since you gots the Low Life and High Tech thing happening. As for "fantasy", well, an elf is about as realistic as full-immersion VR internet by 2020. Or a Full Body Conversion. Not gonna happen.

Try it! You might like it!

Even Gibson who was not a fan (to say the least) for the longest time as well doesn't care anymore:

Gibson, who gave no permission and expressed strong aversion for mixing his ideas with "spare me, *elves*," reacted as follows to its release:

...when I see things like Shadowrun, the only negative thing I feel about it is that initial extreme revulsion at seeing my literary DNA mixed with elves. Somewhere somebody's sitting and saying 'I've got it! We're gonna do William Gibson and Tolkien!' Over my dead body! But I don't have to bear any aesthetic responsibility for it. I've never earned a nickel, but I wouldn't sue them. It's a fair cop. I'm sure there are people who could sue me, if they were so inclined, for messing with their stuff. So it's just kind of amusing.

I was in the same boat but after giving the Dragonfall Director's Cut and Returns a few spins I couldn't care less as well. Still a bit weird to see a shaman summoning all kinds of spirits and shit alongside a rigger taking over his drone buddy via consciousness-transfer but as long as the story's interesting and the game plays well, it's all good.

Last edited:
If you think about it a lot of popular "sci fi" is just futuristic fantasy. Star Wars, Mass Effect, Dr Who, etc.

Advanced technology and magic both serve a similar purpose: adaptation, extension of our basic human skills. Arthur C. Clarke once said "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". That is, technology so elaborate it is beyond popular understanding and simply works. Or technology that, for practical purposes, makes no sense. And yes it is hard to think of some sort of "pure" scientific fiction without any fantastic (which is what, wildly unusual?) elements, but good sci-fi follows a consistent, sometimes internal logic and rationale that makes statements be feasable and/or believable, without the need to delve too deep into the mechanisms that implement technology or devices. A good example: The Electric Ant, by Philip K. Dick. A person finds out he has a maintenance hatch on his chest and a device with a tape that determines his perception, so he starts experimenting with it. Technology is only sufficiently described to make it reasonable and is no more than a vehicle for a good story.

Gibson's matrix is much more arbitrary and obscure. It's mechanisms are far beyond practical uses. For instance, feeding sensory information directly into a person's cortex, implying almost complete understanding of neural representation and coding as well as portable devices with the bandwidth and computing power to modulate and transmit those signals. I will restrain from further comment because I have yet to finish Neuromancer, but let's just say lots of pseudo sci fi based around intelligent machines and robots and advanced computing is SO ... wrong... they might as well not explain anything and/or call it magic and make it less embarrassing. Nowadays nanotechnology and neuroscience have become the modern magic.

At least Shadowrun is honest, even if it's tacky sometimes. What I see in it is two competitive forces of adaptation. Give yourself subcutaneous retractable knives through some bullshit surgical procedure or conjure up a magical switchblade. At this point, it makes no difference.

Last edited:
Update #29

A peek behind the curtain at character animation... and shouts out to some chummers!

Hey hey! Mitch here.

The team is tearing it up on Shadowrun: Hong Kong! Lot's of great stuff getting into the game in all departments and we have strong momentum. Just what you love to see in game development.

Before we share today's peek behind the curtain, we want to thank the 95% of Backers that have filled out their survey. But, we still need the last 1,760 of you to go to this link: HONG KONG BACKERKIT, click on “Didn’t get your invite?” and follow the instructions.

Remember, we won’t be able to send your rewards if you don’t fill out your survey!

Once we lock down the site, there will be a few days of order processing and then we’ll be able to send out our first wave of digital rewards. Depending on your reward tier, this will include the soundtracks and/or keys for Shadowrun Returns and Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut, the Shadowrun 5th Edition Tools Box, and your Out of Print Sourcebooks (including any extras you’ve purchased).

One last thing, the Second Chance Backer site will also remain open until April 15 so if you know anyone who might have missed out on the Kickstarter and would still like to be a Backer, just send them this link: Shadowrun: Hong Kong Preorders.

Okay - on to some fun stuff!

In the last update, I mentioned that our new animator, Jakob, was upgrading some old animations in order to get his feet wet before busting out new stuff. Today, he's gonna share some of that new stuff!

Jakob: He-Who-Rocks-the-Anims

Hello! My name is Jakob and I’m the new animator on the Shadowrun team. I’m extremely excited to be working on Shadowrun and, hopefully, you’ll see that passion spill over into the game. I’ll be creating an extra level of immersion through animation with small things like ambient animations for NPCs in the background as well as designing new animations for the super awesome skills that have been added to Shadowrun: Hong Kong. One thing I really want to tell you about, though, is my favorite character you’ll be running with in Hong Kong - Gaichu!

Gaichu is a samurai and one of the ways we can show this is through his movements. To help catch the nuances of his traditional samurai technique, I looked at a lot of older samurai films such as The Seven Samurai. However, Gaichu’s also a ghoul and, typically, ghouls are deteriorating and don’t have complete control over their muscles. This leads to the very unique way Gaichu moves about the world, how he swings his katana and how he deals with his opponents.

This is why Gaichu is getting a whole suite of animations where you’ll be able to see the fusion between his ghoul deterioration and his samurai training. Everything he does is his own, and no one else has the same exact animation due to his unique situation. This, in turn, makes him standout an incredible amount compared to other people you’ve met in our previous Shadowrun games.

What's a samurai without a little stabby stabby?

As you can see, Gaichu can utilize either side of his ghoul-samurai duality. He has an assortment of ghoul based attacks, as well as a number of new samurai-katana based attacks.

What's a ghoul without a little rippy rippy?

And then there's this...

But that’s not all!

Gaichu is just one of the many characters who will get unique animations. Not all characters get full new suites of animation like Gaichu, but, oh boy, there’s a lot of new stuff coming. Almost all of the existing animations are getting pushed farther to be more appealing, and all of the unique skills your team members and you acquire will have their own animation sets. The goal is to make you and every other character you come across somewhat varied in some form or fashion. I want to try and capture the diverse universe that is Shadowrun, and a great way to do that, is body language.

Overall, I’m so excited to be working on a game that everyone on the team and all of the fans are so passionate about! It’s great to be surrounded by people constantly pushing to bigger and better heights, and to have such a dedicated community at our back.
That’s all from me!

--Jakob

Shadowrun Universe News

Later this month, Jordan Weisman, Mike Mulvihill and I will be running the shadows with our friends over at Cliffhanger Productions in their game, Shadowrun Chronicles.

Here are the dates we'll be playing along with you:

April 24 - Mitch (me)

May 8 - Jordan (creator of Shadowrun)

May 22 - Mike (3rd Edition Game Line Developer)

Cliffhanger also made us a special coupon code to activate a nifty in-game Harebrained Schemes T-Shirt. The code is: ‘TURNBASEDROCKS’ and it will be valid until May 2nd. Just press the “Coupon” button from the launch screen and enter the code.

This will work for anyone who buys (or already owns) a Standard, Deluxe or Super Deluxe Edition of Shadowrun Chronicles. For those already running the Early Access version, the shirt will become available with the launch version of the game, so you need to be a little patient.

Shadowrun Chronicles
is available as an Early Access game on Steam and you can pre-order the boxed edition on Amazon. Chronicles will launch on Steam, Humble Store and other platforms on April 28th.

Also, veteran RPG, Sci-fi and Horror writer Jennifer Brozek (who also helped out with the writing for Shadowrun Returns) recently released her new Shadowrun novella, DocWagon 19! It’s available on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UZERM84
kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/shadowrun-hong-kong/posts/1193346

Update #32

Howdy! Mitch here. Is it mid-May already? Time flies when you’re making games. I just pulled my nose out of the project long enough to give you a quick update on our progress.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong is on track for an important milestone at the end of this month: Feature Complete! That’s when the code for all our new features is working in the game. There will still be a little placeholder art remaining for some of the new interfaces we’ve added, but the underlying code works like it’s supposed to and everything will be in the hands of the artists and the designers after that. For the engineers, it’s all bug fixes, tweaks, and polish for the rest of the project!

On a different front, we’re pretty excited because as of today, Shadowrun: Hong Kong has its very own Steam page, complete with our first set of screenshots and a teaser trailer! Take a look!

When you go to our Steam page, you’ll see that the Deluxe Version of Shadowrun: Hong Kong is now available for pre-order at $19.99. (It’ll go for $29.99 once the game launches). The Deluxe Version comes with the original soundtrack and The Art of Shadowrun: Hong Kong PDF. Tell your friends who missed out on our Kickstarter campaign!

And, for our 3 year anniversary, we’re also offering Shadowrun Returns and Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director’s Cut at blowout prices - $2.99 and $4.50!!! This is a great weekend for new people to see what all the fuss has been about.
kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/shadowrun-hong-kong/posts/1238228

Pre-order: Shadowrun: Hong Kong

Run the shadows of Hong Kong.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong, an upcoming entry in the tech-meets-magic universe, is available now, DRM-free on GOG.com with a 33% pre-order discount!

The Shadowrun renaissance continues in Shadowrun: Hong Kong the newest Kickstarted entry in the gritty cRPG series. If you're familiar with the increasingly impressive Shadowrun releases you should know what to expect - this time we're entering an Awakened Hong Kong, where life is cheap and everything is for sale. You're thrown into a high-tech-meets-magic corporate conspiracy, once again destined to navigate a complex network of contracts and social graces. If you're not yet familiar with the series, the Shadowrun experience is a mix of brilliant writing, a unique cyberpunk universe with a splash of magic, and challenging tactical combat. It's a cRPG lovers dream come true, and it seems we're not waking up anytime soon.

The Shadowrun: Hong Kong pre-order gets you the Deluxe Edition, complete with original soundtrack and PDF Art of Shadowrun: Hong Kong book. Combined with the discount, the entire package is available for the same price as the standard version at release!

Curse, deck or charm your way across the underbelly of Shadowrun: Hong Kong, available for pre-order now, DRM-free on GOG.com! The pre-order discount will last until the game's release.
gog.com/news/preorder_shadowrun_hong_kong

Update #35

Hey everyone!

Mitch here, with just enough bandwidth to pull my head out of polishing the game to let you know that Shadowrun: Hong Kong has an official release date! During the Kickstarter, we estimated that we would release the game in August… and that’s why we’re releasing the game in August!

August 20th, 2015 at 10am PST, to be specific.
On Steam, GoG, & Humble.

Estimating, scheduling and delivering something as complex as SR:HK is tough and I’m extremely proud of the entire team for their focus, dedication, and hard work. I’d like to say a special thank you to our ace Producer, Chris Klimecky and my co-Director, Mike McCain for their work in getting the game to you on time. Mike joined me at the helm a ways back so I could dedicate more time to writing, and his work has been first rate - just like it was on Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director’s Cut.

The game’s really coming together and it’s amazing to see the team’s hard work and creative collaboration on-screen. Making games is an incredible challenge but making games with these folks is an absolute pleasure.

We’ll be sending out another update in the next couple of weeks regarding how to get your keys from BackerKit and an update on all the remaining Kickstarter rewards.

In the meantime, here’s a few new screenshots & gifs we grabbed for you. Thanks for staying with us since January and we’ll see you August 20th!

-- Mitch

The streets of Heoi, your team's base of operations.

Gaichu showing off some of his moves.

An encounter with some Devil Rats.

Is0bel and her trusty grenade launcher.

Deep inside the Walled City.

Gobbet summons a nearby Shrine Spirit for aid.
kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/shadowrun-hong-kong/posts/1303417

Hype train increasing its speed.

Seriously, second to TW3 most-anticipated RPG of the year for me, spent 75$ at Kickstarter.

Update #36

Welcome to the Grid

Just two weeks until Shadowrun: Hong Kong arrives! As we're wrapping things up here, we wanted to share one more thing real quick - some of the awesome work that our art team has been doing for SR:HK's revamped Matrix. Check it out below!

A special Sculpted System location that you’ll encounter during the campaign.

What's more, our composer Jon Everist has composed all-new Matrix music to go along with the new look. You can take an early listen here:

So that's how the new Matrix looks and sounds, but how does it play? Well, we've revised a lot of Matrix systems and added some really fun new stuff such as Watcher IC and Blocker IC which really ramp up the tension of diving into cyberspace and provide a much greater variety of gameplay than before. We'd love to go into more detail but - every minute we can spend testing and polishing the game right now is vital. We hope to tell you more about Matrix gameplay in the coming weeks, or you can see it for yourself on August 20th!

One other thing - we know everyone's anxious to get their keys, so we also want to let you know we're in the process of getting keys and other rewards into your BackerKit accounts. Watch for an update soon announcing that they're available, and for a general status update on the various Kickstarter rewards.

Note that your keys can't be delivered to your account unless you've answered your survey. You can head to the SRHK BackerKit page to double-check that you've answered your survey, or email them at support@backerkit.com if you need any help.

- HBS

P.S. Thank you to all of you amazing Shadowrun fans that came by to say hi at Gen Con last weekend! We had an incredible show, with tons of love for Shadowrun, Golem, Necropolis, and BattleTech.
kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/shadowrun-hong-kong/posts/1317355

Looks like rolling a Decker for the first playthrough might be a good idea.

Also, BattleTech.

Looking forward to playing this, but later. Way too much stuff going on for me right now. Might catch it on sale too!

I'm excited for this one, got my hands full atm, though, so I'll most likely get it later down the line. Probably gonna miss out on the stream, too, wanna go in blind.

O-M-F-G, it's amazing. Feels even better than Dragonfall: in dialogues, in ambience, in gameplay - and this is the highest praise in my book

Top Bottom