How many people will stop playing the game based on new changes?

+
Step 1: New patch
Step 2: About a week, two tops, goes by before the strongest mechanics/interactions get discovered for the new patch.
Step 3: Meta gets reduced to a handful of builds designed around these mechanics/interactions.
Step 4: Meta becomes stale until next patch.

^Gwent since OB started. Rinse/repeat. I won't stop playing due to new changes. I'll stop playing when I decide the game isn't enjoyable. No sense spending time testing/playing if it's not fun and every future iteration looks like more of the same. Fun fact, hit that point two weeks sgo.

What people complaining about the complaints don't understand:

Scoia'Tael's Orlando Bloom does not merely break the game design rules of 3 cards max by changing it to 6 cards max for spells/weather:

It gives access to 3 bronzes which allow you to choose the best spell for a particular situation and add a 3 ST body on top of that.

And btw that's far better than Priestess of Freya, as you can't spam creatures (they stick to the board) and creature choices aren't flexible anyway while the provided body is only ST 1.

There's obviously no correlation at all between job requirements listed at CD Project Red and actual game design skills of the employees in charge, at least as far as game balance is concerned.

I dont play it As much as i did ...since the Update (maybe 3 or 4 casual matches twice or thrice a week)
waiting for devs to fix the Gold Card issue & maybe the new resilience system

Well, i dont know how many people will leave. I know for sure patch was enough to get me back at playing a little (just dont have time for more).
Havent figured out the meta yet, and thats the enjoyable part.
As for criticizing the patch - idk, constuctive criticizm is usefull, so lets try to keep it that way.
I have barely played the last patch. I believe i had a topic started where i tried to explain why, but its nowhere to be found.
On the current patch - lets take a look what mechanics were the most annoying ones:
1st - Cards getting buffed in deck, where you cant really do aynthing about it. That mechanic was drasticly reduced with rework on mulligan guys and spotters. Good ridance and a step in the right direction.
DBP is still here for some reason that is beyond me, but 1 awfull card is still alot better than 3. So, a + in this department.
2nd - Carryover. Resilience also recieved slapping. It exists, and it might give you that +1 card advantage, but highroll 2-0 "draw answer or lose" appears to be gone. Again, a big +.
3rd - removal of gold immunity. Change to gold cards makes any control decks that much more viable. I allways loved control, so i dont have trouble with it. Sure, some gold cards like Yen:Con and Triss:Butt took those changes hard. However with gold cards loosing their immunity, power of all gold cards went down, forcing them to more of utility role. Again, Tibor/Keyran finishers never were much of entertainment. Id say calculating what utility your opponent can get of his golds is more enjoyable than beating that 23 tibor. Overall, looks like a + to me.
Sure, several cards, like beforementioned sorceressess, need some love now. But i fail to see this change as a bad thing.
4th - powercreeps. For a long time gwent suffered from forced archtypes, and those were forced by adding ridiculously overstatted cards that would work with them. It appears that last update at least tried to level tha base value of bronze cards. We no longer have 2 cards for same slot, one having base value of 8, and another that has 10+. Sure, there is still a question of tweaking stat cost of some abilities, but at least 20+ % difference in base budget is gone.

Ofcourse, there is quite alot of cards that need tuning, new stamelfords is quite questionable (however, i still believe that DBP is the source of evil), Dun banner heavy cav appreats to be overstatted. Heavily. New Nithral with his 7 removal apprears to be bordering gold value. This list can get really long.
However, from personal perspective - ive seen quite alot of different decks on my quick tour of ranks 1-13. And in this time, ive seen Geralt:Igni once, and he didnt trigger. Its allready a good thing in my book. Moreover, i havent met "THE DECK". An utterely broken stuff you just wouldnt know what to do with. Like Axemen SK 2 patches before. Or swarm monsters. You know those.
While reading patchnotes, there wasnt really a moment when i thought to myself "allright, X deck is gonna be broken AF". So if we compare this update to the last 2 patches - its hell of a lot better. Honestly, after the previous patch i had serious doubt about games future, or at least, if ill be interested in playing it. This one however appears to get alot of things right.
Ill give you just one example: in this patch with gold immunity removal several cards recieved considerable buffs: Triss, Yenn, Succubus... numbers might not be right, but at consequences were considered. There was actuall thought process along the lines of "What will happen to the card A, to the archtype B if we implement this, even if the change doesnt directly impact it?" Thats something gwent patches desperately needed for long, long time.
So yeah, we pretty much got Gwent 3.0, but there is finnaly a sense that is considerably better than the previous one.

Mirascael;n9438991 said:
There's obviously no correlation at all between job requirements listed at CD Project Red and actual game design skills of the employees in charge, at least as far as game balance is concerned.

Comments like this make me realize just how few F2P games some people have played. CDPR are the most reactive by far.

I'm still waiting for the game mechanics to stabilize before I jump back in. I was hoping the tournament would lock things down...but I was wrong.

So far the games ive played. Sociatel seems too broken. Ive lost agaisnt other factions but cant seem to beat sociatel ever.

I'm not happy with this patch. IMO, the game is far too small to support 5 factions. There aren't enough cards. The other problem is that some are still extremely imbalanced that have no real counters.
This game needs major tuning. Thought this patch would see it, but out of 10 games I played today, 9 were the same deck at 2800 MMR. Guess it's time for a break Gwent. It's not me, it's you.

Generally, when patches are released, I get use to the changes.

However, since gold cards now can be buffed and take damage, well, that was the last straw for me.

The developers had an interesting system going on and even labeled gold cards as special. Now they retracted and made them no longer special.

Really? What is the point of having bronze, silver and gold cards if they all can be targeted and buffed!??! Why not ditch the color borders!?!

From my view point, the developers are not trying to make this game unique. Instead they are trying way too hard to be like every other card game out there.

I have plenty of other games to play that don't have back-peddling developers and ridculious fixes.

Unless gold cards go back to their semi-immunity, well, I have no plans on coming back.

Sad for me to do so, but I see the this game slowly rolling down hill heading for a big pile of shit at the bottom.

Guest 4021160

I must admit I play gwent much much less. I just can't find it in me to stop reading the forum.

gigabomb;n9439921 said:
Comments like this make me realize just how few F2P games some people have played. CDPR are the most reactive by far.

I'm still waiting for the game mechanics to stabilize before I jump back in. I was hoping the tournament would lock things down...but I was wrong.

Well, this patch is so blatantly imbalanced, that it would seem unlikely that CDPR have either not cared about balance at all or been imbalancing cards and game deliberately.

From my experience however, it seems far more likely that this patch can be explained easily with average incompetence regarding game balancing rather than some kind of mischievous purpose.

Last edited:
Yeah well after a month of not playing, I decided to come on to see what the new cards were like. It's a weirdly odd approach though, they're making changes now that almost nobody is on board with, they needed to push a lot more content before balancing, ST is a faction I thought would become broken purely based on that they had stand alone cards with huge impact but had poor filler cards. You basically need to seal off an archetype then balance it, then push a new archetype seal that off, then balance that. You're never going to achieve balance when you are tweaking figures, data from all over the place meanwhile completely changing whatever you feel like, like the moment CDPR changed the golds that just created new balancing issues across the board and kind of made the other balancing redundant.

It's still just slightly got enough charm to draw me in, I like their art, the animations, but I think they need a new balancing team. Feel horrible for saying that almost but, I don't think the games any better than when it first was made in terms of the actual gameplay mechanisms.

Gsom900;n9437991 said:
Just uninstalled the game.
Im getting either lazy or tired but i just cant make myself to learn the game again losing all interest in the game at the same time.

I'm affraid you not the only one. Prob many players feel that way. Learn everything from scratch is not fun for many players.

Gsom900;n9437991 said:
Just uninstalled the game.
Im getting either lazy or tired but i just cant make myself to learn the game again losing all interest in the game at the same time.
As was posted at the very beginning:

I would also want to remind that it's still beta. And that all players are still, essentially, testers.

Sometimes they change things so much that we have to abandon or radically change favorite decks. I won't quit just because I have to make new decks sometimes; that's to be expected when they're still making the game.
But the gold change is huge, it completely and totally breaks a few cards as far as I can tell, and makes a few other golds of iffy usefulness. Completely breaking cards is worse than just making me have to come up with new strategies with old cards. But I won't quit, that's not really proper playtester behavior I think. A change like this after the official release, rather than during the testing period, however, would be much more disturbing.

First of all, thanks for a sensible post.
Danest;n9444851 said:
Sometimes they change things so much that we have to abandon or radically change favorite decks. I won't quit just because I have to make new decks sometimes; that's to be expected when they're still making the game.
Kudos on this part.
Danest;n9444851 said:
But the gold change is huge, it completely and totally breaks a few cards as far as I can tell, and makes a few other golds of iffy usefulness. Completely breaking cards is worse than just making me have to come up with new strategies with old cards. But I won't quit, that's not really proper playtester behavior I think. A change like this after the official release, rather than during the testing period, however, would be much more disturbing.
Just a reminder: in cb there were gold cards that could damage/remove other gold cards. It was removed completely in the launch of ob and people did not like it too much, as far as I recall. However, CDPR's latest statement that having very strong, high point cards being immune is spot on. If anyone thinks that meta before this was a good one is either lazy or delusional, imo. Sure, some cards need tuning, maybe even a slight change. Hell, it is possible that very few will need a complete rework. But as of now, after measly few days of this [atch, it looks more promising that it ever did since the ob launch. Again, my humble opinion.

What irritates me the most though it's the endless wall of entitlement and whining... but there's a gif above for that :)

Cantina12;n9440591 said:
Generally, when patches are released, I get use to the changes.

However, since gold cards now can be buffed and take damage, well, that was the last straw for me.

The developers had an interesting system going on and even labeled gold cards as special. Now they retracted and made them no longer special.

Really? What is the point of having bronze, silver and gold cards if they all can be targeted and buffed!??! Why not ditch the color borders!?!

From my view point, the developers are not trying to make this game unique. Instead they are trying way too hard to be like every other card game out there.

I have plenty of other games to play that don't have back-peddling developers and ridculious fixes.

Unless gold cards go back to their semi-immunity, well, I have no plans on coming back.

Sad for me to do so, but I see the this game slowly rolling down hill heading for a big pile of shit at the bottom.

Bump
couldnt agree more
Gold card is the core element since The witcher game.
Its like removing Jedi character from Star War

Tired of how devs are driving game things into. you cant hope to have half dozen units on the board, everything is scorched, stormed, blocked, locked, banned, killed, destroyed, gigned, jaded, stealed, damaged. PLUS game inconsistency and ridiculous game imbalance with every new patch. Stopped playing

Well I won't at the very least and I don't seen any reason to quit the game.
The Gold change is actually working very well, the only issue is about the general balance of the current meta, which make sense because they changed a lot of things.
Furthermore, I'm pretty sure CDPR will make what's necessary to bring the game into a more balanced state.

Top Bottom