How much hand holding ( is acceptable) in Cyberpunk?

+

• None ! Learn mechanics on your own ( as is fitting theme of survival in dark future)

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Designed without it, but with optional tutorials, hints and guidance customizable in settings

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • Ubisoft mode!: HUD, compass, glowing icons, detective vision, markers, journal hints, prompts..

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Apologies if this was done before, but curious on results of this one ( or is this a case of "vocal minority").

Anyway if you have your suggestion, add it as well.

I have nothing against optional tutorial popups (just popups, not a tutorial level that starts the game), but I would prefer a game where I have to learn the tropes myself (and there being enough complexity that there actually is something to learn).

A very good solution for a game more complex than normally would be a separate outside the campaign tutorial "minigame" accessed through the opening menu. And an accessible game manual ( (from the esc-menu).

Anything truly and actually optional (around which none - at all - of the game is built) is fine by me. I don't care if someone else might need help-features just as long as the game isn't built specifically with that kind of audience in mind.

A lot of the fun in RPG's for me have come from learning the mechanics, figuring stuff out myself and discovering things I might not have thought would work. Excessive handholding and tutorials destroy the joy of discovery.

Cyberpunk 2077 will be AAA game for mass market, consoles so u have your answer, they should at least give us options to disable all hints in menu.

Sneky;n7676080 said:
Cyberpunk 2077 will be AAA game for mass market, consoles so u have your answer <clip>
Like it or not there will be hand-holding, see the above edited quote for why.

The question should be ... Will we be able to disable it?

just like tw3, you see the marker in the map and the line of points, the line can be de/acticvated in interface settings

it's boring not knowing where to go next and need to search in google what to do next

I'm not sure I like any of the poll options.
A well designed game teaches the player everything through presenting the right situations and solutions very clearly. But that is technically a tutorial, even if somewhat passive.
The first poll option makes me think of games that dump everything on you from the first second.
And the second option means that they absolutely didn't think about making the game intuitive, they just included a manual and that's it.
I want something inbetween.

Speaking of Witcher 3, it did the tutorial messages horribly. I didn't want to turn them off in case I miss something important, but they constantly told us trivial information in very intrusive popups. Maybe there cold be an option between on and off that doesn't tell me that X closes a menu.

sv3672

Forum veteran
Zagor-Te-Nay;n7675080 said:
Ubisoft mode!: HUD, compass, glowing icons, detective vision, markers, journal hints, prompts..

TW3 already has much of that (it seems the patches even made the tutorial pop-ups worse), so I suspect it will be similar again, with hand holding by default, but it will be possible to customize the HUD and disable the majority of these features.

None, why? Cuz I'm a hardcore pc master race gamer, why give into to the mass market where the population of you're sales are gonna go? Why cater to the peasants who cannot afford luxury computers!! Disable all hints!! I love not knowing where to go and what to do because I'm awesome!!! Soulsborne git gud nub with keyboard and mouse.

I can't really pick an option there... because I am of the feeling that "The right amount of handholding is the amount that each person feel they need and/or want"... So what works for me might not work for others.

What I can say though is that as long as they make most of it optional... and that the game is designed to work in any mode you wish to use... then I don't care what they do with it. That way the people who want no handholding can turn on/off the things they do/don't want, and the people who wants handholding can turn on/off the things they do/don't want.

And to get around the fact that a lot of people might be lazy, and/or don't explore things like option menues and such befor they start a game (like I do... I go through every single start menu option I can find to figure out what you can and can not do... including checking the keybindings if available... there are actually a surprising high number of people who are not actually lazy, but rather tend to not pay attention to things in the game, and sort of just miss these things and options because they don't explore the menues (start- as ingame-menus) befor they start playing)... anyway... to get around this... just make it part of each time you press "(Start) New Game".

Where you get a few option settings of how you want to start the game... like 3 options would suffice. "No help", "Some help", and "Full help", where each have a smaller explanation what they do... and then maybe even add a 4th icon which says "Advanced options" next to/under those three options, where if you choice it you can your self pick and choice exactly what you want to have and not. A 5th icon to tick could then be "Ironman mode". And that would be it.

Press start new game, choose between 1 of 3 handheld options, or choose the advanced options to have full controle over these things, and then finally choose if your going to tick ironman mode or not, and then you press "Start game"... that would be it.

Last edited:
A tutorial sequence like in the Witcher 3 but more subtle. Then you figure out everything else on your own. Or have an active community talk about stuff. That's fun.

If they were truly making a game for mature audiences. That's the way to go IMO

Last edited:
Dark Souls it.

Drop you in, if you stop to look at signs and tutorials, great. If not, you are on your own.

Actually I think VTM:B could be a good example of how to do a tutorial. Either you listen to the experienced guy (Smiling Jack in Bloodline's case) or you just tell him to stuff it and go out on your own.

Sneky;n7676080 said:
Cyberpunk 2077 will be AAA game for mass market, consoles so u have your answer, they should at least give us options to disable all hints in menu.

Yeah, true. I honestly thought the Witcher 3 game did a good job with the tutorials, certainly by the time the newer UI was introduced.

My thought: Maybe a tutorial and the option for a "Hint screen" and that's about it. Cyberpunk is pretty "sink or swim", You either "Get it" or you live with the fishes. As far as being able to disable it, you bet! Reason: for some, having a hint window pop up can get pretty annoying.

Top Bottom