How Tall?

+
I'm not sure why, but I can never imagine Geralt to be more than 6' tall. I think Geralt is 5'10-5'11. He is tall, but he is not a head and shoulder above every one else. My explanation for the book quote is that if someone had his boot on my chest, then I'd imagine them to be taller than they actually are.
Also Geralt's extremely lean physique due to his mutations would have contributed to him being perceived taller.
For example Ian Somerhalder is 5'8-5'9, but he looks taller because he is lean.

Geralt ain't no manlet.
Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris Disapprove.

Last edited:
I remember Ostrit calling Geralt at one point puny witcher-bandit or something like that, so Geralt in my imagination is not exceptionally tall by any means because there are plenty of people who can literally look down on him.

So about 180 cm but no more than that.

Any quote from the books to support this claim or its just your picture of him?

As I said, 178cm is above average for a medieval era. 178cm is Today's average height for a man in US.
In middle age the average was around 173cm and in victorian era was 168cm.

If average for men was 5'8" then imagine Geralt being 5'11"/1.8m or so (max 6ft because that would be close to very tall by medieval standards). That's like being 6'1"/1.85m where the average is 5'10"/1.78m.
I consider 2 inches above average "tallish", 3-4 "tall" and 5+ "very tall".

More simply, however, using modern height averages I'd put Geralt at 6'1".

On the other hand, sticking with medieval heights, my list of some of the main characters (keep in mind that women were shorter too and like Yennefer, being described as medium height, would be 5'3-5'5" TODAY, with the average being 5'4" in the US and most European countries. 5'4"/1.63m - 2 inches = 5'2"/1.57m):

Geralt: 6' (183cm)
Ciri : 5'7" (170cm)
Dijikstra: 6'10" (208cm)
Yennefer:5'3" (160cm)
Triss: 5'4" (163cm)
Jaskier / Dandelion:5'11" (180cm)
Francesca Findabair :5'9" (175cm)
Note that Dijikstra is supposed to be almost 7ft. This means 6'11"/210cm max.
Post automatically merged:

I always imagined Geralt to be around 185-186cm tall, slightly taller than average but not a giant by any means.
185-186cm WOULD be almost giant using medieval averages. Even in countries in the Western civilization, this is usually 3-4 inches above average (which I would not call "slightly").

But if compared with modern Western heights, I agree. That would be maybe just over 3 inches above the average. Tall but far from freakishly tall.

Last edited:
Top Bottom