How to acquire "(Don't fear) the Reaper" ending, and why make it a secret at all? [spoiler]

+
I've been wrapping my head around it for weeks, tried looking online and I couldn't get a straight answer. Some say you need 75% Johnny approval, but I got 85% and it still won't trigger the ending. Most agree that you need to pick some very specific and incoherent lines of dialogues at the end of the "Chipping in" quest, but at this point I've put on too many hours in to go back and redo all of it again. Still, some say this isn't even the case, and you don't need to pick those dialogue option.

So, in conclusion: what do I have to do? Is there a way to contact a developer that might give me a straight answer?

I understand why they'd try to gatekeep this ending out, as a secret or an easter egg, since most of the fanbase would probably pick the "going in gun blazing" option and disregard other possibilities. But It's a shame since every choice I've done up until that point has built up a character which would never ask for someone else to jump into the fire with her, especially after Phantom Liberty king of cups ending. You don't just go through that experience without getting scarred for life.

It would have been nice to also give V and not just Johnny the possibility to choose to go out in a blaze of glory, and based on the percentage of approval/relationship (still not sure what the percentage does) you'd get different dialogue options, or outcomes during the mission, or maybe some buffs/debuffs.

I dunno, still really want to get this ending.

Most agree that you need to pick some very specific and incoherent lines of dialogues at the end of the "Chipping in" quest, but at this point I've put on too many hours in to go back and redo all of it again
I wonder why "incoherent"?
I mean the dialogue that you have to pick up make total sense and this is something that Johnny have to hear :)
(yes, he lie to you. yes, he screwed up your relationship like he did with most of his relationship... but you offer him a second chance)

I wonder why "incoherent"?
Because you can't get it without consulting a guide?
Because choices should matter and not seemingly random dialog lines? Like who gets the idea that "nah you fucked that up too" will get you closer to Johnny?

It's like Mass Effect 2 where you only get the best ending when after leaving the briefing room you may NOT go near the bridge, hug the wall, go right to the lift and then to the computer core room where (as you do NOT know) the Geth is stored.
When the only choice that matters is the choice to read a guide beforehand.

Because choices should matter and not seemingly random dialog lines? Like who gets the idea that "nah you fucked that up too" will get you closer to Johnny?
I didn't pick up these lines too in my first playthrough because I want to play nice with him... But the answer make perfect sense at this moment.
You agreed to give him control of your body to simply talk to Rogue. But in the end you wake up after a fight, a car accident, full of all kinds of drugs and alcohol, sick and vomiting on the edge of your bed...
So yes, obviously he screwed up your relationship like he did in the past with everyone. He needs to hear it to change his mind, and not "cool, Johnny everything was great".

Beside, it wouldn't be a "secret ending" if it was so obvious to trigger.

Edit : Beside, I don't know on which platform the OP is, but on PC, I think you can edit your save file to be able to complete "Don't Fear The Reaper".

I got it without a guide :shrug:

Some people prefer brutal honesty over general niceties. That's how I interpreted Johnny's personality. Got me a secret ending.

Yeah, that's dumb. I have 80% relationship with Johny, 100% of side missions done and still don't get it. Probably picked the wrong lines. Not sure if I want to go through the game again just to get this ending...

I understand why they'd try to gatekeep this ending out, as a secret or an easter egg, since most of the fanbase would probably pick the "going in gun blazing" option and disregard other possibilities. But It's a shame since every choice I've done up until that point has built up a character which would never ask for someone else to jump into the fire with her, especially after Phantom Liberty king of cups ending. You don't just go through that experience without getting scarred for life.
I don't agree that this is the ending they should have made the secret one, since this is the most obvious one for many players it also make sense to make it always available. So it's either go with Arasaka or go it alone that is always an option.

Would have made sense to make going with Rogue the secret ending. You have to be friends with Johnny, select the right dialogue options and also do all the side missions for her to be an option.

That way you could also hide Mr. Blue eyes behind the secret ending.

I don't get why this is a secret ending either, in terms of outcome it is functionally the same as every other base game outcome. A secret ending should have had a Phantom Liberty ending style outcome, otherwise why make the player do a quite frankly odd dialogue choice to unlock and ending that up couldn't know about in advance and the only difference is the game doesn't let you save and makes the gameplay harder. Maybe in a Doom game this would be reason enough, but this is, if not an RPG, at least a choice driven game that should have effects on the story not just the gameplay.

at least a choice driven game that should have effects on the story not just the gameplay.
well it is kinda like a choice... the choice that you wont risk anybodys life but your own - all alone, no plan, no taktik, just brute force - like "f*ck it lets goooooo!!" (and the moment the music kicks in still gives me chills even after nearly 4 years and 3k hrs of playtime... great moment ^^)

the outcome could be a bit more unique tho I agree…

Last edited:
Top Bottom