How to play at 3K on a 1440p display!

+

DC9V

Forum veteran
Hey hey,
I just discovered a way to play at higher resolution so I can make use of the 4K graphics that are available as an optional download at the gog store. This workaround might not be possible for every kind of monitor so If you want to try this you will be doing it on your own risk!

I have a 1440p, 144Hz monitor with a TN panel. 2560x1440 is the native resolution. (It's connected via display port.)
However, when I set it to 120Hz, I can customize the resolution in the control panel and set it to 3200x1800.

Maybe you need to disable G-Sync / FreeSync in order to avoid flickering. I'd recommend to cap the FPS at 240 and set the monitor technology to Fixed Refresh.

Here are the steps:
  • Open your Control Penal (in my case I'm using Nvidia Control Panel)
  • On the left side you see the Tasks, select Display -> Change resolution
  • 1. Select the Display you would like to change.
    2. Select your native 1440p resolution
  • Select 120Hz and click Apply (If it's already 120Hz, select 144Hz, then select 120Hz again)
  • You can now click on "Customize..."
  • Select "Enable resolutions not exposed by the display"
  • Click on "Create Custom Resolution"
  • Set Horizontal pixels: 3200 ; Vertical lines: 1800 ; Scan Type: Progressive ; Timings: Auto
  • Click on "Test" and as soon as the test has started don't press anything!
  • If the test was successful, click OK and minimize the Control Panel window.
  • Go to Windows Settings:
    -> System -> Display -> Advanced display settings -> Display adaptor properties for Display 1
  • Click on "List all modes" and scroll all the way down.
    Select the new resolution, click OK and Apply.

Solutions:
  • If your monitor keeps being black after a failed test and doesn't wake up anymore, simply start Windows in safe mode and change the resolution again. If that doesn't work, reinstall the gpu driver.

Last edited:
Top Bottom