Infinite load screen after 2.0 update

+
Decided to pick up Cyberpunk again. Tried launching game, but it crashed on launch because of mods. Fair enough, I told it to launch without mods. Got the game to launch. Cool. Created character, got into load screen, and it won't load past like 10%. Tried googling information but can find nothing. Tried deleting old saves, getting rid of cloud saves, deleting the mods even though they weren't being loaded, re-installing the game, and nothing works. I can go through character creation, but when I finalize (last dozen times I tried it was a preset character so I'm not wasting time) and still nothing. Loading bar goes up for a few seconds, then hangs and never progresses even after 10+ minutes. Load bar stops here every time and never progresses:
Lame.png

So, I get the same thing but it eventually starts back up and finishes loading (0 mods). I also get the same (actually) infinite loading screen with Witcher 3 when I have Ray Tracing enabled. Check to see if your GPU is being utilized when it gets stuck, for me the GPU utilization is always at 0% when this happens. I have never been able to find a fix though and have tried just about everything.

You could turn ray tracing off and see if it fixes the problem though.

Thanks for the response. I'll give it a look/go when I get on the PC tonight. If it still hangs, I'll go and make a sandwich or something and see if I load in a while later. I meant to go through the graphics options since I read about this being an issue in the past and ray tracing was the issue. I've now wiped everything (game, launcher, etc) and made sure windows and drivers are up to date. (drivers were already up to date but Windows wasn't.)

Does it happen just during the initial load, or is it a consistent thing for you? Kind of annoying, but if it's a once every play session thing, I'll be fine putting up with it if it's just a really long load.

Does it happen just during the initial load, or is it a consistent thing for you? Kind of annoying, but if it's a once every play session thing, I'll be fine putting up with it if it's just a really long load.
So for me Cyberpunk is pausing for about 15-30 seconds on the initial load and then it seems to load everything else fine, fast traveling seems to work as intended and so does reloading the save once it is actually fully loaded in (I haven't played too much yet though). So, if you can get the game to actually load you should be good for the rest of your play session. I wouldn't worry too much about resetting everything on your computer etc., this is clearly something on CDPRs end. I wasted hours trying to get Witcher 3 to work consistently to no avail.

Do you have a 40 Series GPU by chance? It seems to be an issue with certain hardware configurations where it just refuses to start using the GPU while loading the game.

I have a 2060. My specs aren't exactly remarkable, but I'm able to run the benchmark and such with no issue. Frame-rates are stable in the benchmark, and the benchmark loads quickly. It's just starting a new game where I hang on load. Didn't try loading a previous game since I wanted to start over, so I just wiped everything. I created my character and then went to cook dinner, and after a half-hour or so still no budge. GPU was registering V-Ram being used, though not maxed. Tried launching directly from the exe as admin and no change. I *did* check ray tracing and it was off, and I messed with some other settings, to the point where I had it set to low, windowed at like 720p and no dice.

Ah, well, I'm just gonna venture a guess that I'll have to wait for bugs to get ironed out or something. New things tend to kind of launch on not-so-sure footing, so here's to hoping it's as simple as that. It also occurs to me that I have it installed on my steam deck, so I may give that a shot and see if it works.

Thanks again for your responses/help

It sounds like your mods are the issue here.

One thing few people realize, even after all this time, is that CP2077 isn't a mod friendly game. Simply turning them off does not remove all traces of them from your game. Hell, it can make things worse. Deleting them can have the same outcome.

What kind of reinstall did you do? Did you simply uninstall/re-install from Steam/GOG/Epic?

When you say you wiped everything, does that include those?
  • Cyberpunk 2077 folder from here: %userprofile%\Saved Games\CD Projekt Red\
  • REDEngine folder from here %userprofile%\AppData\Local\
  • CD Projekt Red folder from here: %userprofile%\AppData\Local
If you didn't deleting those, you are still carrying mod data from your mods.

Follow these steps if you haven't:

How do I clean-install my game? — Cyberpunk 2077 | Technical Support — CD PROJEKT RED

Just wanna add that the similar issue I am having (the freeze happening at the same spot) happens on my game and I've never installed a Cyberpunk mod.

To be honest, the game is pretty terrible at updating period. A clean install with every major patch is a pretty good idea if you haven't done one. You should try it, it might help you too.

Still, in this case, we know for a fact he was using mods and most mods haven't been updated yet. Mods made for previous versions of a game are known to cause issues, that's just a basic fact of modding. Cleaning these mods out is a must if you want to ensure proper game functionality and the surest way to remove any and all trace of them is through a clean install and a new playthrough.

The worst part is I don't know if it's trying to pull mod data from other drives since I've installed the game on a few of them. My best guess is that it's a bug or issue with mods that I haven't cleared completely. The mods are my forefront guess just because they fuck with the base game data so of course it's not accounted for and I don't see many/any people having my same issue. In the launcher I have the "enable mods" unselected, but I feel like that might not be enough. I deleted the folders as recommended and re-evaluated files. I might try deleting them again as well as uninstalling. (I did it through windows, not just steam.)

I also remember deleting a few mod files manually, but it's entirely possible I missed some on one of my 6 drives. My biggest guesses are that it's just a bug that'll get fixed, or I'm overlooking something I'm just unaware of since I've had the game installed on a few drives over the past few years and I can't remember where it, or the mods, were installed.

I'd hate to re-format and find out it doesn't work. It's worked for other games (GTA5), but I have too much other non-game related stuff saved to even entertain the idea of reformatting all of my HDD's/SSD's.

In short, I think it's mods fucking with me, but I don't know where the data is stored beyond what has been suggested and what I found on my own. I might just be doomed to play this game on my steam deck as I've tried everything I'm comfortable with on my PC to no avail. I'll keep an eye open for patches, but I think I've backed myself into a corner by installing mods and forgetting where everything was.

I have the same thing happening to me as well, my solution is, i start a new game as corpo, and then immediately load my existing save once im in the game

It sounds like your mods are the issue here.

One thing few people realize, even after all this time, is that CP2077 isn't a mod friendly game. Simply turning them off does not remove all traces of them from your game. Hell, it can make things worse. Deleting them can have the same outcome.

What kind of reinstall did you do? Did you simply uninstall/re-install from Steam/GOG/Epic?

When you say you wiped everything, does that include those?
  • Cyberpunk 2077 folder from here: %userprofile%\Saved Games\CD Projekt Red\
  • REDEngine folder from here %userprofile%\AppData\Local\
  • CD Projekt Red folder from here: %userprofile%\AppData\Local
If you didn't deleting those, you are still carrying mod data from your mods.

Follow these steps if you haven't:

How do I clean-install my game? — Cyberpunk 2077 | Technical Support — CD PROJEKT RED
Just wanted to say thanks! I didn't notice you posted a link to a detailed explanation of clean-installing. Gave it one final shot following the steps in the link to the letter and finally got my game to load. (fully loaded even quicker than it took for the bar to get to the 10% it was doing before.) I *knew* there had to be something I was missing.

Thanks again everyone for the help/suggestions. So stoked I'm not stuck playing only on the steam deck.

Top Bottom