Is Cyberpunk 2077 the most dissapointing game of 2020? POLL

+

Is Cyberpunk 2077 the most dissapointing game of 2020

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Cyberpunk is the best game I played since Witcher 3. I don't know if it's a compliment towards Cyberpunk or criticism of the games industry.
For me Cyberpunk 2077 was the most disappointing game. Expected a real RPG even better one then Witcher 3(bigger consequence and influence in the world, customization, meaningful loot, skills and perks that really influence the game in an important manner). Instead we got a broken action looter shooter.
There were for sure much better games then Cyberpunk 2077 for me since Witcher 3: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, The Last Guardian, A Plague Tale: Innocence, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, Horizon Zero Dawn, Divinity: Original Sin 2, God of War 2018, Red Dead Redemption 2, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, The Outer Worlds, Disco Elysium, Metro Exodus, Soma, It Takes Two, Pathologic 2.

For me Cyberpunk 2077 was the most disappointing game. Expected a real RPG even better one then Witcher 3(bigger consequence and influence in the world, customization, meaningful loot, skills and perks that really influence the game in an important manner). Instead we got a broken action looter shooter.
There were for sure much better games then Cyberpunk 2077 for me since Witcher 3: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, The Last Guardian, A Plague Tale: Innocence, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, Horizon Zero Dawn, Divinity: Original Sin 2, God of War 2018, Red Dead Redemption 2, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, The Outer Worlds, Disco Elysium, Metro Exodus, Soma, It Takes Two, Pathologic 2.
I had pretty realistic expectations about Cyberpunk. And I tried to warn people about it too, since I never saw CDPR going hard on game design. They never did in the past. I expected a bit more interactivity and consequences when it comes to conversations, since it felt like bread and butter of CDPR and a bit more developed city mechanics and physics, comparable to something like Watch Dogs, at least. So this is where I feel the game fell a bit short of my expectations. Everything else was pretty much what I expected to see - FPP Witcher 2-3 with cars. They can't beef up quests, but they can add new, they can improve mechanics and physics, add quality of life stuff if they play their cards right. So I'm looking forward to returning to CP77 once expansions and patches are out.

As for other games you listed, there were good even great games that I enjoyed, but CDPR just hits the closest to my home. Uncharted 4 + Lost Legacy, Resident Evil 2 remake, Final Fantasy 7 sequel, Metal Gear Solid V, Devil May Cry 5, Tekken 7, Detroit: Become Human, Nier: Automata etc.

What felt like real disappointments:
1) Resident Evil 3 remake. I hoped they will commit to make this game into something that feels less like expansion for Resident Evil 2, but they doubled down on it. The game isn't without positives, for example, I liked the characters of Jill and Carlos and their chemistry, evade move and overall visuals, but yeah... I wish it was more ambitious.
2) The Last of Us Parte Dos. This one feels like it did massive damage to the brand. Outside of being cheap, contrived, stupid and morose experience. It killed my interest almost completely. Insane graphics and sound, good performances are let down by writers.
3) Mankind Divided. The cast and writing are so dull, that I had almost no motivation to do anything in this game. The whole "aug lives matter" is so tone deaf and uninspired. Barely any improvement in gameplay over HR, which also felt like inferior DX1. Art direction is pretty cool, though.

And I'm listing only games which I looked forward to.

Oh, Mankind Divided. :D

Yeah, that one was also heavily disappointing. But technically speaking the game doesn't have constant technical glitches and doesn't feel like something in beta-tests. At the same time... I have a policy of not playing games on release. I played Mankind Divided way after the release so I probably avoided 99% of technical issues.

I've put my trust into CDPR learning their lesson after buggy launch of TW3. I wanted to play Cyberpunk before anybody spoils me the story. CDPR was the only company I decided to trust, and they failed me. Therefore-- my disappointment.

I had pretty realistic expectations about Cyberpunk. And I tried to warn people about it too, since I never saw CDPR going hard on game design. They never did in the past. I expected a bit more interactivity and consequences when it comes to conversations, since it felt like bread and butter of CDPR and a bit more developed city mechanics and physics, comparable to something like Watch Dogs, at least. So this is where I feel the game fell a bit short of my expectations. Everything else was pretty much what I expected to see - FPP Witcher 2-3 with cars. They can't beef up quests, but they can add new, they can improve mechanics and physics, add quality of life stuff if they play their cards right. So I'm looking forward to returning to CP77 once expansions and patches are out.

As for other games you listed, there were good even great games that I enjoyed, but CDPR just hits the closest to my home. Uncharted 4 + Lost Legacy, Resident Evil 2 remake, Final Fantasy 7 sequel, Metal Gear Solid V, Devil May Cry 5, Tekken 7, Detroit: Become Human, Nier: Automata etc.

What felt like real disappointments:
1) Resident Evil 3 remake. I hoped they will commit to make this game into something that feels less like expansion for Resident Evil 2, but they doubled down on it. The game isn't without positives, for example, I liked the characters of Jill and Carlos and their chemistry, evade move and overall visuals, but yeah... I wish it was more ambitious.
2) The Last of Us Parte Dos. This one feels like it did massive damage to the brand. Outside of being cheap, contrived, stupid and morose experience. It killed my interest almost completely. Insane graphics and sound, good performances are let down by writers.
3) Mankind Divided. The cast and writing are so dull, that I had almost no motivation to do anything in this game. The whole "aug lives matter" is so tone deaf and uninspired. Barely any improvement in gameplay over HR, which also felt like inferior DX1. Art direction is pretty cool, though.

And I'm listing only games which I looked forward to.
For me a game must have the 2 vital requirements: good, challenging, fun gameplay(because this is the a game not a movie) + game must be finished, polished, no major problems, bad performance and bugs(because i want to have fun and relax not to get bored and get annoyed) and if its possible good story and characters(this is not necessarily vital for most of the time you engage in gameplay not view cutscenes).
Cyberpunk 2077 has boring, bad looter shooter gameplay mechanics that is made worse by the braindead AI.
The game was not finished, had major problems, bugs and bad performance.
The story and characters, voicing acting are ok. Nothing world breaking and never seen.

The list i included all those game were having those two vital requirements while Cyberpunk 2077 only having the part that does not distinguished it from movies. Plus most had good stories, good characters and voice acting.
I don't wont to watch a movie mostly when i am playing a game. " I want to play the game, to engage in fun gameplay".

Last edited:
For me a game must have the 2 vital requirements: good, challenging, fun gameplay(because this is the a game not a movie) + game must be finished, polished, no major problems, bad performance and bugs(because i want to have fun and relax not to get bored and get annoyed) and if its possible good story and characters(this is not necessarily vital for most of the time you engage in gameplay not view cutscenes).
Cyberpunk 2077 has boring, bad looter shooter gameplay mechanics that is made worse by the braindead AI.
The game was not finished, had major problems, bugs and bad performance.
The story and characters, voicing acting are ok. Nothing world breaking and never seen.

The list i included all those game were having those two vital requirements while Cyberpunk 2077 only having the part that does not distinguished it from movies. Plus most had good stories, good characters and voice acting.
I don't wont to watch a movie mostly when i am playing a game. " I want to play the game, to engage in fun gameplay".
Bugs - it's better without them, but there are some games that have troubled development or release plan and they come out buggy. Discarding games because of bugs or unfinished state, I'd miss some of my favorite like:
Arcanum
Vampire - Bloodlines
Witcher 2 (admittedly, I discarded it till a bunch of patches and updates were released for it, but CP77 on PC was in a better state overall)

Fun is subjective. I look for character, tone, setting and writing in games, because I prefer games with storytelling. When writing is better than 99% of what's being delivered in games industry, it's an achievement in my mind. It doesn't need to be ground breaking.

Technical issues can affect some people's fun with the game they would otherwise love.

Technical issues can be fixed, unlike issues with pacing, story, narration, characters and so forth. Technical glitches are easier to deal with, avoid and get rid of. They have nothing to do with opinions and tastes. Just like coffee stains on book pages have nothing to do with what the book is about.

I actually didn't have much technical issues with MD or CP77 on release. They both aren't that well optimized, but it's cured by brute forcing them with powerful enough gear. CP77 in particular felt almost like Wither 3 on release. Some minor graphical issues like floating objects or odd texturing here and there + a bunch of quests refusing to function properly.

But MD just felt largely uninspired. While CP77 is something I didn't want to quit. And all of it imperfections and missed opportunities feel like a knife cut. The world feels so lived in and real. And it's insanely beautiful. And you just want more of it. A lot more.

I actually didn't have much technical issues with MD or CP77 on release. They both aren't that well optimized, but it's cured by brute forcing them with powerful enough gear. CP77 in particular felt almost like Wither 3 on release. Some minor graphical issues like floating objects or odd texturing here and there + a bunch of quests refusing to function properly.

But MD just felt largely uninspired. While CP77 is something I didn't want to quit. And all of it imperfections and missed opportunities feel like a knife cut. The world feels so lived in and real. And it's insanely beautiful. And you just want more of it. A lot more.
I actually agree. But that makes the game even more disappointing, and each and every issue even more painful.
And technical issues can be fixed. I can't bear people saying that CDPR should not fix them and move on to just adding content to the game.

I can't allow myself to say I was disappointed by a game where I spent like more than 100 hours. It will just feel greedy. And it's only 1 playthrough. I still didn't see quite a lot in the game. A lot of people spent hundreds of hours in it.

So when I say "missed opportunity" or shortage of content/choice/whatever, it's said more about full potential. This franchise can grow so much. They can fill it with so much more.

I see it as leaving potential sales on the table. Almost every game nowadays is being released either incomplete or buggy. By "incomplete" I mean games that are either released with a swarm of small, payed DLCs, or with season pass meaning more content coming later. Look at how well all sorts of "definitive" and "complete" and "enchanced" editions sell. More often than not at full price of the original release. People want content and quality.

I bet a lot of potential customers is waiting for the game to be released in Next-Gen edition or for the Patch 1.5 to be released before they decide if the game is worth their money.

Everybody who wanted to play the game right away already bought it. Now CDPR has to fight for "don't preorder" crowd who is not as voulnerable to advertising.

I saw quite a bit of people who didn't even try the game after reading all the controversy (watching bugs videos) surrounding it's release. They just skipped it. So it's no wonder that recent positive response to the game made articles. Looks like there's a lot of people who believed it.

I initially was skeptical, but perhaps expansions for CP77 can be an interesting opportunity for it. Second birthday. Cyberpunk 2022 or whenever it arrives.

I saw quite a bit of people who didn't even try the game after reading all the controversy (watching bugs videos) surrounding it's release. They just skipped it. So it's no wonder that recent positive response to the game made articles. Looks like there's a lot of people who believed it.

I initially was skeptical, but perhaps expansions for CP77 can be an interesting opportunity for it. Second birthday.
Yes, but those same people who got scared away by bugs will watch expansion videos to-- again-- see if the game is worth their money. And if those videos are full of the same bugs and issues they saw back in December 2020? All CDPR has to do to bring those people in is to fix the game.

Yes, but those same people who got scared away by bugs will watch expansion videos to-- again-- see if the game is worth their money. And if those videos are full of the same bugs and issues they saw back in December 2020? All CDPR has to do to bring those people in is to fix the game.
I think people put various meaning into "fixing the game". As I stated above, I don't have any problem with the technical side of the game (on PC). It works well. I'm waiting for new adventures and features, if they plan to add any. It's not "fixing". It's enhancing and maybe finishing up (if they had some features cut or disabled because of deadlines). So I'm waiting for a Final Cut of sorts.

Bugs - it's better without them, but there are some games that have troubled development or release plan and they come out buggy. Discarding games because of bugs or unfinished state, I'd miss some of my favorite like:
Arcanum
Vampire - Bloodlines
Witcher 2 (admittedly, I discarded it till a bunch of patches and updates were released for it, but CP77 on PC was in a better state overall)

Fun is subjective. I look for character, tone, setting and writing in games, because I prefer games with storytelling. When writing is better than 99% of what's being delivered in games industry, it's an achievement in my mind. It doesn't need to be ground breaking.
I played VTM Bloodlines with community patch. Could not stand the broken state.
Played Witcher 1 and 2 enhanced edition.

That's way I mostly never play with mods. Hate the instability and the hassle.
I found looter shooters gameplay so abhorring. Billions of magical weapons spawn out of white holes does not do it for me.

You prefer playing movies?

I dont get wowed by pretty superficial beautiful but dead, empty worlds and graphics.

Games conform the name should be first about gameplay.

Combat for example in God of War 2018 is millions time more fun then Cyberpunk 2077.
The actions sequence in Uncharted thief end so thrilling and fun. Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay not so much.
The uniqueness in Pathologic gameplay. Never felt urgency(made realistically) so bad. Nothing unique in Cyberpunk 2077. Totally unrealistic urgency.
Had more thrill and fun playing the intro sequence in Forza 5 then Cyberpunk 2077 best gameplay parts.

I don't like to get annoyed by bad gameplay just to watch an epic story.
If i want to watch epic stories there are movies and TV series.

Writing in Cyberpunk 2077 is not better then 99% of games. You must have missed some good games.

Last edited:
No, I think it's bugs. The game already got 50% off for the time of the year when everybody's looking for games on sale. And it still is a new game, it's only one year old. Somehow I doubt that there is no market for open world sci-fi action games out there. Especially that initial projections were talking about anywhere between 4 and 20 million sold copies in 2021 alone.

I played VTM Bloodlines with community patch. Could not stand the broken state.
Played Witcher 1 and 2 enhanced edition.

That's way I mostly never play with mods. Hate the instability and the hassle.
I found looter shooters gameplay so abhorring. Billions of magical weapons spawn out of white holes does not do it for me.

You prefer playing movies?

Games conform the name should be first about gameplay.
I don't like to get annoyed by bad gameplay just to watch an epic story.
If i want to watch epic stories there are movies and TV series.

Writing in Cyberpunk 2077 is not better then 99% of games. You must have missed some good games.
VTMB is still broken af even after 15 years of community patching. On release it was almost unplayable. Which is far away from CP77, which had mostly minor issues on PC.

I didn't feel CP77 was a movie. People spend from 50 to hundreds of hours in the game. I personally clocked 100+. And I'm not even finished with the game yet. Far from it.

And yes, CP77 writing is one of the best in the industry. Especially among AAA games.

VTMB is still broken af even after 15 years of community patching. On release it was almost unplayable. Which is far away from CP77, which had mostly minor issues on PC.

I didn't feel CP77 was a movie. People spend from 50 to hundreds of hours in the game. I personally clocked 100+. And I'm not even finished with the game yet. Far from it.

And yes, CP77 writing is one of the best in the industry. Especially among AAA games.

Cyberpunk 2077 on release was much more broken then VTM. The team that made VTM was much smaller with much lower budget.

"CP77 writing is one of the best in the industry"

Better then The Last Of Us, Uncharted 2, Soma, Alan Wake, Witcher 3, The Wolf Among Us, Life is Strange?
Don't think so.
What's so best about it?

Cyberpunk 2077 story felt rushed. Pacing felt cut up, cut short.
Witcher 3 had a better longer story, better pacing, better lore, better side missions.

Witcher 3 had a better longer story, better pacing, better lore, better side missions.
As always, it could be matter of taste :)
I prefer CP than TW3 (but I prefer Cyberpunk lore than TW3 lore, so it seem obvious). But I also prefer CP characters and quests (above all side quests) than TW3 characters/quests...

If I remember, there is some complains that TW3 was too long. At least on Xbox, there is less players who have finished TW3 than CP, even if it was released a long time ago, and by far (14.5% vs 25.1%). And also the fact that some players don't like all the Velen part of TW3 and also with Novigrad.

So in that way, "better" is subjective :)

Guest 3847602

As always, it could be matter of taste :)
Indeed. Life is Strange has one of the worst writing I've ever seen in a videogame. The only game I remember that I had to stop playing because I couldn't stand how awful the story, characters and dialogue was. Unbearable...
Some other people love it, apparently. And that's OK. Matter of taste.

Top Bottom