Is Henry Cavill really that important for the series?

+
Both of these sound like obvious bullshit. The show never had any integrity to speak of.

hey everyone is free to their opinion…. But allegedly he was fighting for the show to be book accurate.

in either case I think the internet just likes to have loud opinions and drama, and with neither Henry or Netflix giving an official reason the rumors and drama will continue.

personally I don’t get the big deal everyone is making, if you like it watch it… if not don’t, plenty of other things to do :shrug:

Having read the books, the first two movies are basically as close as you can get to a word for word adaptation
I just linked how the first movie is different from book.

I read HP all the way to Order of Pheonix and when first movie came out I was very disappointed that they left out the plot where Hagrid has to get rid of the dragon and the Harry with his group has to sneak into Astronomy tower to fly the dragon to Weasley's family. In the movie Hagrid just says "I had to let him go" as if the Harry and his friends didn't release him.

Also if I recall there was a some changes in the 3rd act with the chamber of secret puzzles and the final battle.
Post automatically merged:

A lot of the characters became too one dimensional
Also I don't get this comment because I hear many people say stuff like "X wouldn't do that, he/she is very much Y in the book".

Motivations might get changed due to the show makers wanting to create perhaps some personal trauma for example for Yennefer, who had to suffer her entire life with being rejected.

Having to have dealt personally with a relative with BPD and seeing the internet criticism of "stable minded people" of "this person can't do X because Y", just take in mind that perhaps you might be wrong as well, for rational people, of course irrational behavior seems unrealistic.

I recently watched out of curiosity a video with Anakin Skywalker having PBD and it explains a lot of the issues that people originally complained about his character. It's an interesting watch.

Also, even if people have become one dimensional, not everyone is this massive learning guru that is able to change their ways with snap of finger, some people get held back by their way they've grown. It's very difficult to change adults in their way of thinking, especially in this middle aged times where they wouldn't have therapists talking to these characters about their traumas.

The show never had any integrity to speak of.
If that was the case, then why did Henry Cavill do 3 seasons to begin with?

If this was such an outrage in it's inception, why didn't he walk out himself in middle of season? Why he can take creative liberty and add lines to his character? I thought Geralt was more of a Witcher with inner monologue.

I've only seen this massive outroar about the series after his claimed departure. It's just very odd with all the timings with everything going on lately.

Last edited:
He said before it aired that he was up for 7 seasons if they respected the source material. I get the feeling he tryed as hard as he could but hade to make a choice. I havent watched since season 1, witch was ok. Heck i dont even have netflix or any other streaming service atm since its rare that i like series nowdays ^^

Cavill's endearing personality as a gamer nerd and fan of the Witcher aside, replacing a lead actor is generally not a good idea for a show, especially when it's a show centered on the character being replaced; especially when the show is "just okay" to begin with; especially when they're about to come up with some idiotically convoluted "story reason" for his replacement. Because of that, I suspect it's going to be a shitshow.

especially when they're about to come up with some idiotically convoluted "story reason" for his replacement. Because of that, I suspect it's going to be a shitshow.
I really hope they don't. Like I REALLY REALLY hope they don't.

The show has done some cool stuff, it's done some bad stuff, It's mostly been fun but the bad stuff sticks out. And one of the absolute worst things in my opinion was when people complained about Triss not having Red enough hair, so they literally wrote her hair color change into season 2. It was just unnecessary. Either stick with the design or subtly change the costume a little, we don't need the writers to Literally do the Leo pointing meme about the thing they "Fixed"

I would much rather Liam just come in without any big acknowledgement and just "Be Geralt" We really don't need them to explain it with "Something, something Magic Something" cause whatever explanation won't be great, and will inevitably just draw more attention towards the change with people arguing over it, when the show really should focus on trying to just be a good show.

At least that's my opinion on it.

To me watching a TV show after you already decided you don't like it is like playing a game you don't like over and over even though you hate it .....

If I watch a show I didn't like the first season I'm not going to waste 10 hours of my life to watch the next season ..... I just move on to something I do like

The thing him is how the writers for The Witcher show treated him and the show.

They,

A.) Don't like Witcher and wanted to make their own fantasy thing.
B.) Didn't follow the source material and fought back when Cavill pointed it out because he was a fan before the show was a thing
And C.) They got pissy and got rid of him because of B.

I would much rather Liam just come in without any big acknowledgement and just "Be Geralt" We really don't need them to explain it with "Something, something Magic Something" cause whatever explanation won't be great, and will inevitably just draw more attention towards the change with people arguing over it, when the show really should focus on trying to just be a good show.

Given the controversy, they probably should follow the example of replacing James Rhodes in Iron Man 3 (or was it 2?):

"It's me, I'm here, deal with it. Let's move on"

The bottom line is that Henry Cavill left the show because he wasn't happy with Netflix's handling of the original. And I understand it. The series has become garbage.

I have yet to hear Cavill make that claim .... or even elude to it

Repeating unverified rumors doesn't make it so .... In fact repeating unverified rumors is simply a form of Propaganda

I think the more likely reason he's quitting is he wants make movies and never planned on spending 5+ years to make only 3 seasons because of covid He probably figured 4 or 5 seasons over 4 or 5 years and he'd be done. He hit the 5 year mark and wants to move on while he's still in his prime for leading roles

Repeating unverified rumors doesn't make it so .... In fact repeating unverified rumors is simply a form of Propaganda

I think the more likely reason he's quitting is he wants make movies and never planned on spending 5+ years to make only 3 seasons because of covid He probably figured 4 or 5 seasons over 4 or 5 years and he'd be done. He hit the 5 year mark and wants to move on while he's still in his prime for leading roles
It's not a rumor, Cavil said it. Raise your level of education

Very much this. Cavill has never come close to suggesting issues with Netflix Witcher production, as far as I'm aware. It's purely Internet-created, this idea he quit/was fired over issues with the show or writers.

hey everyone is free to their opinion…. But allegedly he was fighting for the show to be book accurate.
Looks like his input fell on deaf ears since the very beginning...

If this was such an outrage in it's inception, why didn't he walk out himself in middle of season? Why he can take creative liberty and add lines to his character? I thought Geralt was more of a Witcher with inner monologue.

I've only seen this massive outroar about the series after his claimed departure. It's just very odd with all the timings with everything going on lately.
Given than his portrayal of Geralt didn't exactly do justice to the character, I doubt he had anything against the show since it began. Maybe when the show started going crazy rather than just being plain bad from S2 onwards, it was too much for his inner Witcher geek to handle :coolstory:

Last edited:
Very much this. Cavill has never come close to suggesting issues with Netflix Witcher production, as far as I'm aware. It's purely Internet-created, this idea he quit/was fired over issues with the show or writers.

Of course Cavill isn't going to talk about it even if there is truth to those rumors. Speaking against production is a move that has hurt, if not destroyed, plenty of actors' careers.

Outside of the dangers to his own career, speaking out against your bosses publicly for something like creative differences just isn't a good look.

It's also not entirely internet born either. Plenty of reports came out. For example, Beau DeMayo, who actually helped write 2 episodes, said the other writers seemed to actively dislike the source material and mocked it.

Meanwhile, Cavill's love for the source material is well know. The producers themselves came out to say how much he loves the source material and just knows it. Hell, all of his colleagues on the show spoke about this. The producers also came out and said he was asking for the role the second he got wind of it. He's a self avowed geek and he's proud of it, there is no doubting his love for the material.

He already stated he was in it for the whole 7 years if they respected the author's work:

The good news for fans is that series star Henry Cavill is ready to go for all seven seasons if Netflix decides to carry through with it. "Absolutely," Cavill told The Hollywood Reporter. "As long as we can keep telling great stories which honor [Witcher author Andrzej] Sapkowski’s work."

Yet the show diverges more and more and goes in sillier directions all the time.

Then you can look at his IMDB page and you'll see that he did plenty of other projects while simultaneously working on the Witcher series. Yet, when he announced his departure, he had nothing in the works. There were apparently plans for the future but those fell through very shortly after he announced his departure and, if I recall correctly, before Hemsworth took the role. Cavill could've stayed, yet left anyway.

I'm not trying to say the internet didn't take the ball and roll with it. Not at all, In fact, I'm certain that's part of it but when you look at everything that's out there (there is plenty more), him leaving because he didn't like the direction the show was taking seems like a very plausible explanation.

I just linked how the first movie is different from book.
The difference is those (pretty minor) changes were clearly made to save time, which the movie has to do to adapt the book, otherwise every movie would be between 5 and 6 hours. They weren't changes made because they disagreed with the books or decided they weren't good enough. They didn't completely change the personality of a character, or kill off someone who plays a major role later down the line. Comparing those two adaptations as if they are similar is simply ridiculous.

As for the character's motivations, I'm all for characters changing motivations along the way. It can show growth, and will usually be a sign of a multi-dimensional character rather than a one-dimensional one. The problem comes when those changes in motivations make no sense with who the character is. Oh, I have this new objective that I didn't know about? Let me change my entire personality on a whim to allow me to reach that objective. Oh, now I am confronted with the consequences of my actions? Let me immediately revert back to my original personality without hesitation. That's pretty much Yennefer's character arc in the show.

Comparatively, in the books or in the games, Yennefer does change her motivations sometimes, but she still stays true to who she is throughout. The changes make sense with who her character is. That's, to me, a well written multi-dimensional character. IMO, a one-dimensional character can either have a set personality that never changes and never evolves, which is bad, or have sudden personality changes that don't really make sense with the essence of the character. These characters can have two "sets" of personalities, but they don't really mesh together and only one of them is used at a time. That's also one-dimensional writing, and usually happens when a writer is incapable of reconciling a character with its objectives, so they just take the easy way out and rewrite the personality. That's just as bad as a never changing personality IMO.

While a bipolar disorder could explain these sudden irrational changes, it can't be used to just ignore any lazy character writing. Not every character has BPD. Also, even if we wanted to pretend Yennefer or other characters in the show have BPD, that would mean the writers are really badly representing the disorder. Someone with BPD who goes into a long manic episode lasting multiple weeks isn't going to just suddenly snap back into their old personality. They need help and clinical interventions.

I'm not trying to say the internet didn't take the ball and roll with it. Not at all, In fact, I'm certain that's part of it but when you look at everything that's out there (there is plenty more), him leaving because he didn't like the direction the show was taking seems like a very plausible explanation.
Nah, it's just supposition. That's what you have when there is no evidence.

And the bit about the writers was mostly debunked as being a disaffected former employee. Maybe it was true..but again, unverified by those supposedly described.

You can always say, "Well of course no one would talk, because Production" but that just highlights the lack of evidence.

As to why he left? Oh, perhaps because he feared being typecast? Perhaps because DC hinted at or even said, "you can't be Superman and Geralt at the same time - dilutes Superman" before Gunn dumped him? Perhaps because he discovered making episode after episode is super tiring work and puts a big issue in your scheduling for other projects. Or, sure, perhaps because he secretly resented the direction the show went from the very start and just stuck around for three whole seasons because contract.

Without evidence, it's utter supposition and in this case, the idea that Cavill didn't like the writing is just that. He never said it, or hinted at it. People who like him and don't like the show created it out of whole cloth, more or less.

I wasn't even able to watch the show after the first few episodes despite Henry Cavill. He was basically the only reason I even kept going for a bit. They took The Witcher and made it a generic, badly written Fantasy series without any unique feeling to it. What makes the Witcher book series interesting to me is a) this down to earth, Middleuropean, late medieval/early rennaissance setting and b) the modern and enlightened attitudes of the main characters mixed with the fantastic. Imo nothing of that made it into the show, the plot was garbled, Yen and Ciri were terrible, the costumes were a desaster etc.
Now if someone were to cut together all Henry Cavill scenes and I could skip the rest, I would watch that. :cool:

Nah, it's just supposition. That's what you have when there is no evidence.

And the bit about the writers was mostly debunked as being a disaffected former employee. Maybe it was true..but again, unverified by those supposedly described.

You can always say, "Well of course no one would talk, because Production" but that just highlights the lack of evidence.

As to why he left? Oh, perhaps because he feared being typecast? Perhaps because DC hinted at or even said, "you can't be Superman and Geralt at the same time - dilutes Superman" before Gunn dumped him? Perhaps because he discovered making episode after episode is super tiring work and puts a big issue in your scheduling for other projects. Or, sure, perhaps because he secretly resented the direction the show went from the very start and just stuck around for three whole seasons because contract.

Without evidence, it's utter supposition and in this case, the idea that Cavill didn't like the writing is just that. He never said it, or hinted at it. People who like him and don't like the show created it out of whole cloth, more or less.

I never claimed it was fact that he left because of this.

Of course it's all supposition. That's all it will always be regardless of the actual reasons. There is no way for us to know and we will most likely never know. That's why I said it's a plausible explanation. Personally I find it very likely when considering the whole picture. You're free to think otherwise of course. It's all unknown and will likely remain this way.

Personally it's more the immersion breaking effect... It's my main reason to criticize the change of a lead role three seasons in.
Recall the series Spartactus where Liam McIntyre did an amazing job playing the role, taking over from Andy Whitfield (rip). Still, it never felt completely right, even though there was no other way to do it and continue with the series.
This. I love Spartacus, and was relieved that the writing & acting held up even after the main actor changed.
I appreciate Henry's love of the books/games, but I NEVER felt he was carrying the show, specifically because the writers never gave him all that much to DO! :( Just hmmms and grunts peppered in-between fight sequences against too many generic humans, and not nearly enough monster mysteries to Batman his way through. They totally wasted him. SO I don't see how Liam Hemsworth can be too much worse (unless he's just unattractive & can't fill out those leather pants, or can't keep up with the fight choreography).

Top Bottom